Hey all! I'm scoping out a Pod because I'm tired of my transistor vox, AND more importantly I need an easy way to record direct into my macbook.

I've heard some amazing tones come out of Pods, which is what piqued my intetest.

Theres a pod 2.0 for sale used, locally for 150$ ( might be able to negotiate a bit ) or I could get a new UX2 for a little under 200$.

My question to you:

In terms of tones and ease of use/recording:

- Pod 2.0 or UX2?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
If you don't need it for live use, neither.

Get a Focusrite Saffire 6 and use free VSTs. The POD 2.0 is kinda meh, and POD Farm Standard that comes with the UX2 is pretty lackluster, not to mention the mic preamps on it aren't that great.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I use both! The UX2 is better with the software, it make recording at home (home made CD's in my case) simple but don't expect the best quality, like a true studio!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Scratch the 2.0. It doesn't do direct USB recording.

My digitech RP250 did direct recording simple and easy, but the tones sucked.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Eh I bought a UX1 when I was looking for an audio interface, if I was to buy a new interface I'd go for something that isn't a Line6, though I do quite like Podfarm, if used right you can get some okay tones and it's very quick to set up. Great for demoing out tracks.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
My only complaint with the UX series is the lack of phantom power. There is pretty much no latency issues with them. The Platinum version of Pod Farm is a lot better ($199 uprgrade), but you can still get decent tones out of the Standard version if you take the time and are good at it. Still there's plenty of free amp sims out there. Unless you want to do some serious recording and need something more, the UX's hold their own.
My first interface was a UX2, and speaking from experience, they are not worth the price tag.

POD Farm sounds great with the expansion packs, but the Standard version is just... okay. Sure, you can use the free sims that are out and about (which are much better than anything Standard could produce, and on par, if not better, than the model packs/Platinum), but if you plan on doing that, you might as well go with an interface that has better DI inputs, better mic preamps and better conversion. When you buy the Line 6 interfaces, you're paying a premium for the POD Farm software and not so much for the hardware. The DI inputs on the UX2 are quite good, but the mic preamps are pretty bad. The interfaces were clearly made to plug directly in and use their amp modeling software for your tone, not using a mic.

However, at the price Best Buy has it on sale for right now, it's a pretty good deal:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Line+6+-+POD+Studio+UX2+-+Black/9114852.p?id=1218025524137&skuId=9114852&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9114852

But at its regular price of $200, the Focusrite Saffire 6 demolishes it. Hell, even at the price now, you'd be better off picking up something like the Tascam US-800, which has 6 mic preamps and is only $100 at most retailers now, because it's being discontinued. It even comes with Cubase LE. I have one, pretty decent little interface, and you can't beat 6 mic preamps for that price!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ronhoward
My only complaint with the UX series is the lack of phantom power. There is pretty much no latency issues with them. The Platinum version of Pod Farm is a lot better ($199 uprgrade), but you can still get decent tones out of the Standard version if you take the time and are good at it. Still there's plenty of free amp sims out there. Unless you want to do some serious recording and need something more, the UX's hold their own.

The ux2 does have phantom power.
Quote by FireHawk
The ux2 does have phantom power.

Not the UX1, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ah, I have the UX1. But it works well for me.

That Tascam US-800 looks pretty sweet though.
Last edited by ronhoward at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not the UX1, though.

He said the ux series. The title says ux2. I assumed it was implied he meant the ux1 and 2 both don't dice he said the ux series. The ux1 isn't relevant in his discussion.

POD Farm sounds great with the expansion packs, but the Standard version is just... okay. Sure, you can use the free sims that are out and about (which are much better than anything Standard could produce, and on par, if not better, than the model packs/Platinum), but if you plan on doing that, you might as well go with an interface that has better DI inputs, better mic preamps and better conversion. When you buy the Line 6 interfaces, you're paying a premium for the POD Farm software and not so much for the hardware. The DI inputs on the UX2 are quite good, but the mic preamps are pretty bad. The interfaces were clearly made to plug directly in and use their amp modeling software for your tone, not using a mic.

However, at the price Best Buy has it on sale for right now, it's a pretty good deal:

/QUOTE]

THIS!!!!!!!!!!! When you buy the Line 6 interfaces, you're paying a premium for the POD Farm software and not so much for the hardware THIS!!!!!!!

Still not bad!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff