I seriously need to upgrade my amp but I'm on a tiny budget. I've been looking into the Kustom Defender series half stack (5w head and 1x12 cab) but the head only has a volume knob and no tone knobs. My friend has a boss GE-7 equalizer that he could sell me cheap and I was wondering if that would help the lack of tone knobs on the amp, so if anyone knows about the equalizer and how good it is at changing tones, that be great

Thanks
never actually used an eq myself, so i can't help there

that kustom head's meant to be not bad. might be worth considering.

i'd probably get a different cab, though- i think the matching one is mdf. get teh valve junior cab, as far as i'm aware it's ply and a similar price, and has a fairly decent stock speaker, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Boss GE-7 will help with the lack of knobs on the Kustom but if you want my honest opinion I would recommend saving up to get a rig you'll be completely happy with. Upgrading to the next step up is costly and usually not worth it in the long run. If you have steady income or can find a way of getting a steady income check out American Music Supply. Depending on the price of the rig they'll break up the cost into 3 or 5 monthly payments with no credit check. It's the only way I was able to afford my Marshall JVM stack. If you just want something to get by for now, you should be fine with the EQ pedal and Kustom.
Quote by Dave_Mc
that kustom head's meant to be not bad. might be worth considering.

I'd be weary of those kustom amps. I've played a couple of them and none of them were any good. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but make sure you play it before you buy it.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
I have personally never used Kustom amps but my local guitar store has the bass and guitar Kustom half stacks and they sounded awesome when other people played though them.
The kustom defender 5w sounds great for classic rock and blues, but it needs to be loud for this. Keep this in mind if you plan to buy it. An eq will help shape the tones but you will still have the samed base tone, I.E, not heavier than early sabbath maybe.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by thrashdeth
I'd be weary of those kustom amps. I've played a couple of them and none of them were any good. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but make sure you play it before you buy it.

i thought the coupés were pretty nice. though admittedly the 5 watter isn't exactly in the same league.

nice sig, too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im sure you could get a overdrive or tube screamer to get some heavy metal tones. I myself was thinking about getting this.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
if it's like any of the one preamp tube single enders i've tried there's no way a tubescreamer will get it into metal territory
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if it's like any of the one preamp tube single enders i've tried there's no way a tubescreamer will get it into metal territory

hmm metal muff? or something like that?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
yeah you'd need a distortion pedal.

personally i'd get a normal (i.e. non-metal) distortion pedal and then hit it with an od. seems to sound a bit more "natural" that way. but i haven't tried the metal muff, maybe it does sound awesome.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

personally i'd get a normal (i.e. non-metal) distortion pedal and then hit it with an od. seems to sound a bit more "natural" that way. but i haven't tried the metal muff, maybe it does sound awesome.

its just an option. im either getting the peavey vypyr tube 60 or that kustom stack, because i could also grab a rondomusic guitar ive been wanting to try for a little moder guitar. still trying to decide before the end of next month.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
oh yeah, sure. i'm not saying the metal muff would be bad or anything, just saying how i'd do it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah, sure. i'm not saying the metal muff would be bad or anything, just saying how i'd do it

well thanks for that. im just considering my options. my tax refund couldnt come soon enough.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
What exactly is it for? (style of music, going/rehearsal/recording).

Kustom make some excellent amps but I don't think the mini Defender is ideal as a main amp.
i just need it for practice and light jamming. and i mostly play thrash metal.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
well thanks for that. im just considering my options. my tax refund couldnt come soon enough.

haha

it probably sounds like i'm hyping these all over the place, but with a cheap amp like the kustom i wouldn't want to spend a ton on pedals (because you could just get a better out-of-the-box amp)... i'd get a couple of joyos, they're about $30 each and are clones of more expensive pedals. they do a clone of a tubescreamer, an ocd and a crunchbox. with a couple of those (even one if you went with teh ocd clone) you could cover most tones.

but what kyle's saying is also right... not sure i'd want it as my only amp, unless it really were at teh height of my budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha

it probably sounds like i'm hyping these all over the place, but with a cheap amp like the kustom i wouldn't want to spend a ton on pedals (because you could just get a better out-of-the-box amp)... i'd get a couple of joyos, they're about $30 each and are clones of more expensive pedals. they do a clone of a tubescreamer, an ocd and a crunchbox. with a couple of those (even one if you went with teh ocd clone) you could cover most tones.

but what kyle's saying is also right... not sure i'd want it as my only amp, unless it really were at teh height of my budget.

makes sense.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Dave_Mc

I was actually playing my old Metal Muff through my Laney last night. Didn't sound half bad. Just remember that a Metal Muff is insanely trebbly.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
ohh yeah. I could go with the peavey vypyr 60 tube but i was tyring to get away from modeling amps. i really dont like this shitty vypyr I have. i could go up to 400-500. still researching everything. nothing seems to be great for metal without pedals and shit.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ well, sure, but some amps will work well for metal with pedals, and some will still be a massive compromise even with pedals. I mean most metal guitarists, even if they have a high gain amp, still use an OD boost as it (IMO anyway) improves the tone.

something like a traynor ycv or kustom coupé (i'm not too well up on us prices, they may be over $500) with a boost would work pretty well for metal- a lot better than the kustom 5 watter, anyway.

Quote by romeozdistress
makes sense.

Quote by LaidBack
I was actually playing my old Metal Muff through my Laney last night. Didn't sound half bad. Just remember that a Metal Muff is insanely trebbly.

yeah that's a problem with a lot of distortion pedals
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by romeozdistress
i just need it for practice and light jamming. and i mostly play thrash metal.

No way.

You'll need either a modelling amp or a used Bugera, B-52, Blackstar HT, that kind of biscuit.
Quote by kyle62
No way.

You'll need either a modelling amp or a used Bugera, B-52, Blackstar HT, that kind of biscuit.

which b-52? the solid state or tube?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
which b-52? the solid state or tube?

I don't know much about em - they never hit the UK. Lot of UGers seemed to think of em as a 'poor man's Mesa'. I'm only taking about the valve ones though.
Quote by kyle62
I don't know much about em - they never hit the UK. Lot of UGers seemed to think of em as a 'poor man's Mesa'. I'm only taking about the valve ones though.

ohh I see. right now the vypyr tube seems like the best choice.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
god I wish i knew if this could hit some decent metal tones and save me some money.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ dude, I thought you said you were going to quite doing this.

You completely high-jacked this thread.

Stick to your own threads.

v....Thrash is not too hard to pull off with a small watter if you have an OD pedal and the right guitar/pups but something like a Metal Muff is not what I'd do.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ dude, I thought you said you were going to quite doing this.

You completely high-jacked this thread.

Stick to your own threads.

v....Thrash is not too hard to pull off with a small watter if you have an OD pedal and the right guitar/pups but something like a Metal Muff is not what I'd do.

you know what dude. I though this was mine LOL. thats hilarious. my fault.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A