As you can guess my cable has finally given way.Its got me through 6 years so it aint done too bad.

Now,whats everyones opinion on the best cable around at the moment? Elixir or something else?Im looking for both best budget and higher end options.

Cheers

Lee
Monster.

But really there's not much difference in cables IMO other than durability.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Spectraflex, just make sure that who ever you purchase from has a good warranty.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Dec 29, 2011,
Basically you have two types of people:

1.) People who use a cable to colour their sound
2.) People who do not want a cable to change their sound

I am firmly in the 2nd camp, if you are in the first camp feel free to ignore this post.

I have tried a LOT of cables, ranging from cheapos to some extremely pricey things (some running £100 or more per cable!) Personally I consider the Klotz LaGrange to be the best cable on the market. It is extremely clear however, unlike some of the very high end cables, actually sounds "natural" to my ear. I find the very high priced cables with "exotic" constructions suck a huge amount of mid-range* and you end up with something that removes the "guitar-ness" especially with some OD.

For pedal boards I don't think you can beat George L's personally. The ease of use and adaptability is second to none and the sound is pretty good.

*As an aside this is probably the reverse: the traditional cable cuts the lows and highs which is perceived as an increase in mid-range. You could argue this is "inferior" however since >90% of guitar cables are like this I consider it part of the deal.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
i assume you're in the UK (from your use of "shagged")- both award session and kabl are very good value (van damme cable).

I haven't tried la grange yet, but i picked up one of the cheaper klotz cables on thomann a while back, and even it was really nice, so it's probably worth a look, too, lewis/power freak is normally bang on with his suggestions. I picked up a sommer (spirit, i think?) at teh same time and it was v nice too.

EDIT: I'm pretty much in camp 2 as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i assume you're in the UK (from your use of "shagged")- both award session and kabl are very good value (van damme cable).

I haven't tried la grange yet, but i picked up one of the cheaper klotz cables on thomann a while back, and even it was really nice, so it's probably worth a look, too, lewis/power freak is normally bang on with his suggestions. I picked up a sommer (spirit, i think?) at teh same time and it was v nice too.

EDIT: I'm pretty much in camp 2 as well.

Before settling on Klotz I used VDs from award session or George L's.

If you're on a low budget go for award session, or try and find somewhere that makes to measure using mogami cable. Personally I would avoid Canare as it tends to colour the tone too much in my view and is less clear than the Mogami (or VD which is pretty close to the mogami.)

For a slightly higher budget George L's won't batter your top end as much but will make the low end suffer, so not a great choice for thin-bright amps IMO. Be warned this stuff is not hard wearing though, if you mistreat things it won't last long!

For high end cables (I consider Klotz to be mid-high, here I'm talking b00teek cables) the only one I've tried that I'd say is worth the money is probably the evidence lyric HG, but I'd take a Klotz over it any day of the week and save a wad of cash.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
yeah i think i've heard GLs are pretty bright, though i haven't tried them myself

but yeah, based on what little i've tried i'm not sure there's a whole heap of point in spending hundreds on cables. i'd rather have another amp or guitar
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
klotz are the best u can get in europe without having to take a loan :P
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard