http://m.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA20H-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-105619472-i1475974.gc

Ok, I have enough for this head. I was wondering if it would be good for metal.. I'm not really sure but ALOT of people on here have said it was a good overall amp. The only pedal I have is a Boss DS-1 Distortion. Let me know anything else regarding this head. Also, I've been told it would be loud enough to gig, reassure me before I do anything.
Bestow upon me magic
Wizard, all knowing, all wise (solo)
I want to rule this kingdom
Make sweet the breeze now defiled (solo)
Dethrone the evil prince's iron fists
In velvet gloves of sin (solo)
Well, the DS-1 is a distortion pedal, but according to someone on this forum (can't remember who)it's not far off from a tubescreamer in construction. You could probably boost it into a metal sound with the DS-1. 20 Watts is well enough to gig.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I would never gig with something as small as 20W, unless you are intentionally trying to get a little tube breakup.

What kind of metal do you play/what bands do you want to sound like? That will help us tell you if that amp is a good choice or not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've got the 100 watt Jet City head, and it does metal pretty well at lower volumes (with a boost, of course). I cant exactly crank 100 watts at my house very often, but it sounds absolutely amazing turned up. I'd at least try to test the amp out first if i were you. It isn't for everyone. Gig wise it might do okay, depending on the size of the venue.
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
I have the 100w version, and it definitely has enough gain to do any form of metal, without any form of OD/boost.

Though I can't recommend the 20h for any form of metal aside from classic metal (Sabbath, older Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, etc.). Sure, you can get enough gain with a boost, but it still doesn't have the voicing for modern stuff. The 22h has the gain and is voiced a bit heavier, but it's still not as epic as the 50/100 watt heads because of the EL84's in the power section (as opposed to 5881s).

It'll be more cash but I strongly recommend saving for the JCA50h or JCA100h instead. Not only will it do all forms of metal better, but will have much more headroom and better cleans at high volumes, more ideal for gigging.
All metal. Heavy, thrash, death, doom, black, neoclassic, progressive, yeah
Bestow upon me magic
In that case I feel that you should invest in a used Peavey Vypyr Tube then. The Jet City won't give you anywhere near that amount of versatility, especially without a floorfull of pedals.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Mostly Amon Amarth, Dethklok, megadeth, Opeth, Black Sabbath, Pantera, and Ozzy.
Bestow upon me magic
Well, I've tried the 50 watter head in conjunction with a Kustom 4x12 cab, no idea about the speakers inside but damn it nailed modern metal tones without a boost easily. Though the guitar was mahogany and equipped with D-Activators, so that might be a huge factor regarding the chugginess of the tone.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
save up a little more and get the jca22. thats gonna be much higher gain and work a lot better for metal and you won't have to rely on much more than a tubescreamer to boost it to the metal tones ur looking for
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Well, the DS-1 is a distortion pedal, but according to someone on this forum (can't remember who)it's not far off from a tubescreamer in construction. You could probably boost it into a metal sound with the DS-1. 20 Watts is well enough to gig.

nah it's teh sd1 that's not a million miles from a tubescreamer.

not to say you can't use a ds1 as a boost, too, but an od generally works better as a boost. but if you already have a ds1 you could use it perfectly fine until you pick up an od.

i haven't tried the jet city amps, just wanted to correct that about teh pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go and find FloodStain´s Icepick Lobotomy on YouTube and you will hear that exact amp through a marshall 4x12 with no pedals at all. It will be the singers amp, so listen for it.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
That song was pretty freaking sick dude, great vocals. And which head was it? The 20? It looked like a full sized head. Maybe the 50 or 100.
Bestow upon me magic