I had recently gotten an HT-5H and a Blackstar 1x12 cab. The HT-5H arrived defective and I had to return it. Earlier today, the refund was processed so I should be getting my money back on that. I'm considering returning the cab and getting my $200 back on that. With a refund from both, I'll have about $500 + with the will to wait and save some more cash provided the new amp is worth it.

I'm thinking a tube combo amp would be best at this point. It will be used as a bedroom amp and eventually used to record. I usually play progressive metal or death metal. I often just play on the clean channel too, but a perfect clean channel isn't required. If the amp sounds great on the overdrive channel with a pedal used as a clean boost (TS9/OD808) that is a bonus, but not required.

This particular amp caught my eye: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-6505-112-60w-1x12-tube-combo-guitar-amp

Thoughts?
A used Laney VH100 springs to mind.

But you need to be more specific with what tones you want. Genres are almost always useless, because of just how much genre bleeding and bending exists now, and simply how many bands there are out there, all with their own take on a style.

So let us know what bands in particular you'd like to sound like, and we can give you some serious suggestions.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
amazon has it for $437 bro. incredible deal. wish i had the money to get it, but i have to wait until tax time and itll prolly be back above my $500 budget.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Not really interested in sounding like any bands, but if I really had to pick to help with the suggestions... Opeth, Insomnium, and... Amon Amarth, I guess...

EDIT: Gojira.
Last edited by lemurflames at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by lemurflames
Not really interested in sounding like any bands, but if I really had to pick to help with the suggestions... Opeth, Insomnium, and... Amon Amarth, I guess...

EDIT: Gojira.

Ok, 5150/6505, hands down. No other amp will do those sounds as well as it can. If you can save up, try to stay away from the II/+ versions. The originals will give you a much better progressive/death metal tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh, I'd say the Laney'd nail those Opeth tones!

The Laney is way more versatile than the 6505 too.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.