Hey so i recently started learning how to play little lead fills (like how hendrix and frusciate play(ed) ). I put my thumb over the neck which isnt hard at all for me and i learned how to play all the barre chords like that. Now ive started trying to do little fills with hammer-ons and pull offs etc. My question is does anyone else do this and how do you find the notes that sounnd good? any tips too because im not very good at it lol
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
it helps to know hwat youe playing and what you want your fills to sound like

i dont want to be one of those that says you have to learn music theory but a rudemantay understanding of scales and chords and keys would really help
First, why are you putting your thumb over the neck? It's best to have it behind the neck for almost everything except bending, vibrato and a few chords where it's absolutely necessary.

Second, to find notes that sound good, either learn some theory, or experiment. But, really what it comes down to is what you want to hear and what sound you're looking for. Use some classic Friedman and pick a note that doesn't really fit and bend it up to a note that does fit. Do whatever you like. Nobody can tell you what to play.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Play what sounds good to you. Also, as much of an interesting skill it is to use your thumb on the low E string, I personally think it will lead to bad habits if relied on too much- especially if you're using it for barre chords.

Let your index finger barre all of the strings and use your thumb for support. Otherwise, you'll strain your hand trying to stretch and apply pressure without a good fulcrum.
thanks everyone for the replies, and i do know music theory so ill put that to use. and i guess experimenting and crap is good too, but why is putting my thumb over the neck bad? its completely comfortable for me, and it makes playing the fills much easier
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
Quote by BornToLive
thanks everyone for the replies, and i do know music theory so ill put that to use. and i guess experimenting and crap is good too, but why is putting my thumb over the neck bad? its completely comfortable for me, and it makes playing the fills much easier

It limits the range, flexibility, and mobility of your hand. The reason that it didn't really affect Hendrix was because his hands were absolutely massive. For him, behind the neck would be next to impossible.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
It limits the range, flexibility, and mobility of your hand. The reason that it didn't really affect Hendrix was because his hands were absolutely massive. For him, behind the neck would be next to impossible.

To put it even simplyer:

He didnt use to play stuff that required technical proficiency and therefore good posture
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.