Hey UG I am in the market for a used guitar or new, my budget is 400 duckies I have found a couple of jackson dkmg's for that price range and the guitar plays pretty good and have also been looking at an Ibanez rg370dx but have read that the tremolo's on the edge II and III are made out of a cheap alloy and is prone to chipping on the knife edge and even read that they have the trem actually cracked. Is there truth to these stories on the web? If anyone has owned either one of these guitars could you please comment on the guitars. Thanks
I'm going to do something controversial here and not rehash things that people have said without actually having experience with the guitars. I'm going to give you the truth as i saw it. Having had both a jackson MIJ dinky and a few ibanez rg 3xx models over the years i can say that both of these guitars will get you pretty much to the same place, and what it all boils down to is differences in ergonomics, & pickup configuration. The trems are equally "bad" compared to real quality systems. I say that in quotations because if you have it set up well, it will work just fine. Sure, maybe they wont be stable 10-20 or so years from now like original and lo-pro edges are, but i doubt that's a major factor...

Ibanez wizard II neck is a straight 16" radius all across the board, very wide, quite thin, and very flat on the back...i found this to be very uncomfortable playing for long periods of time and chording.
I remember the Jackson neck not being as thin, wide, and flat on the back with a 12-16 compound radius fretboard. It was more comfortable to me
The necks are finished the same.

the ibanez has the all access neck joint, the jackson has the traditional neck joint although it's comfort carved. This made no real difference in how i fretted the higher notes.

the 370dx would have more tonal options...but if you won't find yourself using them often i wouldn't bother.

Both guitars are built to play fast on, and they sound very similar. It really boils down to aesthetics and ergnomics like i said.

If possible, i'd look for used deals. I've gotten an Ibanez RG560, Ibanez RS315, Fender Classic player 50's strat, and a Ibanez bl850 for 400 or (in the bl850's case) well under that. I hope I helped
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
ive have tried out both ibanezs and jacksons in your range. i personally would prefer the ibanez, i like how they feel. itsthatdude has a point, there isnt a huge difference in hardware quality
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
funny how you keep hearing these stories about ibanez...my guitar is a high end grg(not even an rg yeah)....and i it actually has a better tone than the cort's and esp's i tried.on a side note, hitting harmonics is a bit tougher but ok once you get used to it.....and the trem holds up decently(not great but OK) once you manage to set it up
Quote by ItsThatDude
I'm going to do something controversial here and not rehash things that people have said without actually having experience with the guitars. I'm going to give you the truth as i saw it. Having had both a jackson MIJ dinky and a few ibanez rg 3xx models over the years i can say that both of these guitars will get you pretty much to the same place, and what it all boils down to is differences in ergonomics, & pickup configuration. The trems are equally "bad" compared to real quality systems. I say that in quotations because if you have it set up well, it will work just fine. Sure, maybe they wont be stable 10-20 or so years from now like original and lo-pro edges are, but i doubt that's a major factor...

Ibanez wizard II neck is a straight 16" radius all across the board, very wide, quite thin, and very flat on the back...i found this to be very uncomfortable playing for long periods of time and chording.
I remember the Jackson neck not being as thin, wide, and flat on the back with a 12-16 compound radius fretboard. It was more comfortable to me
The necks are finished the same.

the ibanez has the all access neck joint, the jackson has the traditional neck joint although it's comfort carved. This made no real difference in how i fretted the higher notes.

the 370dx would have more tonal options...but if you won't find yourself using them often i wouldn't bother.

Both guitars are built to play fast on, and they sound very similar. It really boils down to aesthetics and ergnomics like i said.

If possible, i'd look for used deals. I've gotten an Ibanez RG560, Ibanez RS315, Fender Classic player 50's strat, and a Ibanez bl850 for 400 or (in the bl850's case) well under that. I hope I helped

Hey thanks for the info quite definitive. I have had both guitars in my hands and have to say the tremolo on the Jackson is made out of steel and the trem on the Ibanez is a weaker alloy.
around that price range (in the used market), the jackson is going to deliver better quality and playability. look for a DK2 or DK2M and your set. the licensed FR's on those things are solid
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
around that price range (in the used market), the jackson is going to deliver better quality and playability. look for a DK2 or DK2M and your set. the licensed FR's on those things are solid

Hey thanks for the info, I thought the trem looked solid and worked flawlessly when I was playing it. I am looking at a DKMG with the small fret inlay
Lol, the jackson is surely a bit higher quality. They are quite good guitars actually. I never liked ANY of the non prestige RG's. Weak resonance, thin tone, holds no tuning, etc etc. Get the MIJ Jackson.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by B.Cross
I would consider a Laguna but can't get around the headstock

I have the lowest end Laguna and the highest end. the le524 plays like a dream. the headstock is a bit big but the guitar looks and feels beautiful
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Ibanez has screaming harmonics, and very easy high fret access. I recommend RG370 DX. It is worth that. And, change pickups with seymour duncan's later. İt will sound so damn good. But, jackson's has alder body, with i think EMG-HZ on the model you selected, it has good wood, but shitty pickups. You wanna know what else guitars use emg hz? The shitty ibanez grga.
And just to note, the Jackson's come with legit Duncan's, while the ibanezes come with half ass stock pups.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED