So I've recently been thinking about the future of music... I was wondering what more can be done musically, that hasn't been done before..

Sure we can switch around genres and combine them like polka-metal-funk-fusion , but what can we still "create".

It seems a whole lot has already been done in the way of electronic music. (Dubstep being the obvious). Sure we can mess around with computers/synths and make whacky sounding noises but generally the organization or "type" of song is going to be fairly similar..

So what do you think pit?

Will there be another musical invention like Rock and Roll or Jazz or Metal? What else can be done?
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Alot of things, ask people in the 1940's if there was going to be anything after jazz.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Plenty. Things evolve. If we can move away from mixing genres like jazz and metal with a cellist, while pretending that it is new, there may yet be hope. The millennials seem particularly devoid of artistic vision or merit. Innovation will rest on the shoulders of a future generation.
Tonal music has been exhausted for a long time. Creativity in music is all about texture now.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by palm mute
Alot of things, ask people in the 1940's if there was going to be anything after jazz.

True but with the giant expansion of communication, everything is out on the table for the whole world.. That wasn't true in the 40's... and electric instruments/synthesizers didn't even exist.

Quote by StewieSwan
Tonal music has been exhausted for a long time. Creativity in music is all about texture now.

Elaborate? What do you mean when you say texture?
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Last edited by Lugnaz987 at Dec 29, 2011,
^ And think of all the things today that don't exist yet. In hindsight things are always clearer but people back then had no idea something like Protest the Hero would ever exist.

Quote by lilboisX3
Plenty. Things evolve. If we can move away from mixing genres like jazz and metal with a cellist, while pretending that it is new, there may yet be hope. The millennials seem particularly devoid of artistic vision or merit. Innovation will rest on the shoulders of a future generation.

Fuck you, Giant Squid is awesome.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Dec 29, 2011,
I'm sure there will be some revolutionary invention which will allow for the continued expansion of music.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I heard they're gonna add B# and E# notes to freshen things up.

Trololololol
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by palm mute
^ And think of all the things today that don't exist yet. In hindsight things are always clearer but people back then had no idea something like Protest the Hero would ever exist.

Fuck you, Giant Squid is awesome.

Bear in mind that post-X (X being genre) is code for: Out of ideas. Experimental also largely falls into this category. It is not new, it is an arrangement of cliches.
Quote by lilboisX3
Bear in mind that post-X (X being genre) is code for: Out of ideas. Experimental also largely falls into this category. It is not new, it is an arrangement of cliches.

That's not at all what the addition of "post" means.
Quote by Lugnaz987
Elaborate? What do you mean when you say texture?

Sonic texture. Any genuinely 'new' music is going to be electronic.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I heard they're gonna add B# and E# notes to freshen things up.

Trololololol

Actually, that just got me thinking. What if somebody found a way to manipulate instruments and produce a whole new note between each existing note? I know this can already be done by tuning an instrument badly but it could be cool.
West Ham United
Quote by lilboisX3

I actually agree with you on the whole slapping a bunch of things together and calling it new not being innovation, my post was just because you happened to describe Giant Squid in your hypothetical band formula. But your analysis of experimental music is a bit flawed, when Bill Justis recorded Raunchy it was pretty experimental. And look where we are now.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by blake1221

Lul, this. In fact it means the opposite.

Quote by King Donkey
Actually, that just got me thinking. What if somebody found a way to manipulate instruments and produce a whole new note between each existing note? I know this can already be done by tuning an instrument badly but it could be cool.

Eastern music already does that with quarter-steps.
Last edited by due 07 at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by blake1221

It's coded to throw people off. Typically post anything amounts to an emotive version of it's root genre. When the subject matter is not self-pity, it is often an idiots attempt at being profound.
Stoner metal, it's the only way.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Of course there will be a revolution in music, the problem is we don't know what it will be like because it doesn't exist yet. And if I had any idea what it would be I would already be in the history books.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by King Donkey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtones
It's coded to throw people off. Typically post anything amounts to an emotive version of it's root genre. When the subject matter is not self-pity, it is often an idiots attempt at being profound.

lol wut?
Quote by palm mute
I actually agree with you on the whole slapping a bunch of things together and calling it new not being innovation, my post was just because you happened to describe Giant Squid in your hypothetical band formula. But your analysis of experimental music is a bit flawed, when Bill Justis recorded Raunchy it was pretty experimental. And look where we are now.

What was experimental about it? The fact that he wrote an instrumental song that happened to be popular? Whoopdeedoo! Ya know how many instrumental songs were written prior to the advent of rocknroll?
Quote by lilboisX3

Examples pls.
Quote by lilboisX3
What was experimental about it? The fact that he wrote an instrumental song that happened to be popular? Whoopdeedoo! Ya know how many instrumental songs were written prior to the advent of rocknroll?

If you cannot see the effect that song had on music since then I cannot help you.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by King Donkey

That's been done for thousands of years already. The Persians have their own scale with quartertones, as do Indians. More recently there have been western composers who write in microtones. Brace your ears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPMETWcAwKA

The most recent innovation I'm aware of is progressive tonality, where the pitches of notes are actually shifted during the music. Holy Katana can elaborate if anyone's interested.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 29, 2011,
Quote by neidnarb11890

Quote by StewieSwan
That's been done for thousands of years already. The Persians have their own scale with quartertones, as do Indians. More recently there have been western composers who write in microtones. Brace your ears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPMETWcAwKA

The most recent innovation I'm aware of is progressive tonality, where the pitches of notes are actually shifted during the music. Holy Katana can elaborate if anyone's interested.

Wow, that sounds so strange! I wish there were more western music and instruments made like that.

Now where is Holy Katana when you need him...

EDIT: Apparently in the Anime Thread.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by lilboisX3

Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by StewieSwan
Sonic texture. Any genuinely 'new' music is going to be electronic.

This.

Every melody has been written. I do think that you can still be unique without being an electronic musician though. If you "write" a melody, lyrics, rhythmic patterns, and put your character in your piece, that still counts as originality in my opinion, but it isn't new or innovative.
Considering every form of music is based on one convention or another, it's all been done already. Whoever said sonic texture is correct.

edit: it was stewie. that slut.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I'll just take and disagree with y'all. Live music will always be superior, and you can't create wind onstage. I'll take BB King and a couple of blues boys over some hipster and 100,000 dollars worth of equipment.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by bastards
I'll just take and disagree with y'all. Live music will always be superior, and you can't create wind onstage. I'll take BB King and a couple of blues boys over some hipster and 100,000 dollars worth of equipment.

You kind of missed the point in this thread.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
You kind of missed the point in this thread.

No, no I really didn't.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
What did scientists say in the 1800's? Everything worth discovering has been discovered. How wrong they were....
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by slipknot5678
This.

Every melody has been written. I do think that you can still be unique without being an electronic musician though. If you "write" a melody, lyrics, rhythmic patterns, and put your character in your piece, that still counts as originality in my opinion, but it isn't new or innovative.

But not every melody has been turned into 3 notes max and spammed over and over again for 5 minutes with loads of fuzz.

Quote by StewieSwan
Sounds like something Zoot would listen to.

To be fair, it's pretty good >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dySLyTgEAOw
Does this count?
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 30, 2011,
Woah, listening to the stuff with quartertones is trippy. It's kinda like hearing music for the first time all over again for me.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.