Not specifically metal, but mainly Protest the Hero, possibly Guthrie Govan-esque. I'm aiming high, I know, I just want a guitar that will help me play faster.(My baseball-thick neck on my Schecter isn't quite cutting it. The Tele works for blues, jazz comping and cleans, but I want a more "leads" guitar.)

Haven't really tried PRS guitars, want to though, but I can't find a mid-range between the CU24 and the SE CU24. I think my amp can handle pretty much anything, and I am not going to upgrade any time soon.

Not too-too sure on an RG, seems too metal, and a tad thick...

Anyways, this is more of me wanting a GAS list of stuff to look at, and just bouncing ideas off of you guys. Budget is $1000, used isn't really an option due to location.

The Ibanez S series, shape-wise, is pretty appealing, but I worry about the lack of sustain they probably have because the body is as thin as the neck. More conservative body styles are better, along with thinner necks. I haven't really played an EC-1000 yet, but want to. Not sure if I'm sold on an H-S-H config yet, the S might get in the way.

I would like:
24 frets
Hum-Hum config
Conservative body shape
~ Wizard neck thickness
Mahogany body (most popular I guess. Ash would be cool too)
Floyd Rose would be possible

Thanks. Sorry for wall of text.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Ibanez is good, and most Jacksons have great necks for shredding.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Ups to Jackson, I'm biased, I have one but it's still the greatest playing guitar I've ever touched.

Check out the Jackson Soloist X Series!

Bodies are basswood on these models, but everything else conforms to your specs.

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Dec 30, 2011,
Esp mh 1000
There pretty cool and so are pro series jacksons
(>•&bull> $$$$$ <(••<

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Jackson DK2
1991 Jackson Fusion Pro
Peavey Triple X Super 40
Its not that I haven't ruled out the RG quite yet, i would just need to play one. I feel the body is a little to "straight edged" and might not be the most comfortable thing in the world. And Ibby's usually have bad pup's which on a ~$1000/mid-range guitar, I don't want.

The LTD ( ) MH 1000 looks good on paper too, but too much abalone for me.

EDIT: Jackson's have always been "awkward" for me because they're not an Ibanez or an ESP, you know? I will definitely have to try them out though. Not sure how I feel on the compund neck without having played one first.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Dec 30, 2011,
There is no magical neck that will make you play faster or better. You'll be able to play best on the neck you're most comfortable on. That varies from person to person. You have to get out to a shop, and play everything you can get your hands on, so you can find out for yourself what you find most comfortable, and then go from there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
2nd hand JP6.

Can get an unloaded one for about $1100.

Though the PRS CE24 sounds like it would be perfect for you.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
2nd hand JP6.

Can get an unloaded one for about $1100.

Though the PRS CE24 sounds like it would be perfect for you.

+1 on the CE24. And the jp6, actually

My CE24 does everything. Only others i was thinking of was maybe a used Carvin? Carvins are extremely quick players, my DC is a very comfortable and quick guitar to play.
Carvin.

All custom guitars, so you can get anything you want, just the way you like it.

Look into the CT6 series ( mahogany body, exotic maple top, set mahogany neck with ebony fretboard( I have rosewood, it's all custom! ), 2 humbuckers with coil tap), more specifically the CT624 ( 24 frets instead of 22 ), and then the CT624C would have 24 frets and a licensed Floyd Rose.

Could also get a DC series, those are neck-through, haven't tried em myself yet though.
Anyway, the CT624C might just be the one for you.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
You could probably find a used Ibanez JS1000 for around 700-1000. Definitely a great guitar for playing lead at that price.

EDIT: Just saw that you're looking for 24 frets, JS only has 22. Still, check it out if you aren't stuck on the idea of 24 frets.
Last edited by zl1288 at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
There is no magical neck that will make you play faster or better. You'll be able to play best on the neck you're most comfortable on. That varies from person to person. You have to get out to a shop, and play everything you can get your hands on, so you can find out for yourself what you find most comfortable, and then go from there.

This.
I would love to get a JP6, even second hand, or the CE24. I'd have to try their necks, but on paper they sound awesome.

I'm afraid of getting a Carvin because they're expensive, and I haven't touched a Carvin in my life, nor have I played enough guitars to see what I like.

And with the "magical neck" thing, I have played my friend's RG350DX (I think...) and the neck seems good for my hands, an LTD neck might be better, but again, I'm not sure. The only other guitars in my local store are Epi LP Special II's and Squire Bullet Strats. I'm not looking for an exact guitar, that'd be nice, sure, but I would like a general direction too to look in.

EDIT: And I have fairly small hands too. So if I was asking for a shredders guitar and you recommended a '50s neck LP for example, because lots of players can shred on them, then that wouldn't really help me out.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Dec 30, 2011,
I would say the CE24 or JP6 are worth a punt.

Not like you will lose any money on them if you dont like them.

Go browse Birds & Moons and you should find some nice CE24s for about 1000-1200 easily.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by n1ckn1ce
PRS Torero, second hand maybe, is a PRS shreder right in your price range.

Bah. Sold mine for 650$. Great guitar, but not even close to a jp6.
+311 no magic guitar. there have been tons and tons of people shred on a 50's LP neck. i don't have a problem with the 60's are fine. i like my ibanez, Prestige 3550MZ. the only thing it offers me is a trem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I dont really play guitar anymore since switching to bass.. but when i did, my RG was my go-to guitar for shredding like a madman (or doing anything really!). Seriously, try a bunch of RGs, they are great guitars.
Quote by AWACS

And with the "magical neck" thing, I have played my friend's RG350DX (I think...) and the neck seems good for my hands, an LTD neck might be better, but again, I'm not sure. The only other guitars in my local store are Epi LP Special II's and Squire Bullet Strats. I'm not looking for an exact guitar, that'd be nice, sure, but I would like a general direction too to look in.

EDIT: And I have fairly small hands too. So if I was asking for a shredders guitar and you recommended a '50s neck LP for example, because lots of players can shred on them, then that wouldn't really help me out.

The issue that makes it difficult is that hand size doesn't correlate in any way to neck size. I've seen people with huge hands who like Ibanez, and people with tiny hands who like Gibson 50's necks. There really isn't any other way to find out other than just playing as many guitars as you can. Same thing with string gauge/brand. Process of elimination.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
to a certain point i think people do put too much emphasis on neck size, when there are a lot of variables that make more of a difference. string gauge, high or lower action are more important factors with the guitar than the neck. beginners it may be different though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I disagree, but it may be another thing that just varies from person to person. I'm very sensitive to neck profile, although I have also seen people like you where it doesn't really bother them.

I like to give cautionary advice to people just in case. There's nothing worse than having a guitar you hate playing. That's the story of me and my M-200FM.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I disagree, but it may be another thing that just varies from person to person. I'm very sensitive to neck profile, although I have also seen people like you where it doesn't really bother them.

I like to give cautionary advice to people just in case. There's nothing worse than having a guitar you hate playing. That's the story of me and my M-200FM.

i literally go from a 50's or 60's LP to my RG Prestige neck and don't have problems. i can play close enough to equal on them, i will admit that the thick involves a little more effort on you hands through the LP.

i do not tolerate string changes well at all. 11's or 12's. if i walk into a guitar store to pick up a guitar, and it is strung with 9's i can't play for shit, i just sound terrible.

i definitely agree on your cautionary advice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Fast is fast no neck will automagically make your hands fast.

I would look into pre-1992 S series and some neck-through Soloists. I am pretty fond of a Soloist that used to be at my local shop.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I used to be really obsessed with neck size and thought the thinner the better, so I waited and waited and hunted down an early 90s ibanez sabre 540s in absolutely pristine condition, with the original wizard neck shape...and what can I say I HATED it. And I have the smallest hands ever. It just did not feel right, I much prefer a kind of rounded shape, just feels more comfortable and I don't think it restricts speed whatsoever.
I think that basically, if you love a guitar you can shred any neck and you can also get used to any sort of neck shape. I used to play a guitar with a 50s gibson-style baseball bat neck and it wasn't uncomfortable or difficult. I think people are way too obsessed with neck shapes. For me personally, what factors into it much more is the neck finish - i find 'glossy' finishes get sticky when my hands start sweating - definitely action (i like REALLY low action). But it's basically all personal preference. The best advice is still to go and try out some guitars and see what feels right to you.
well some are really unnatural. learning on strats and LPs and then picking up an ibanez is a whole different world. especially if it is really wide and flat, i feel like i am grabbing a 2x4.

i think scale length, fret size, and action most determine the speed, neck profile is a comfort thing.

i have small hands and sometimes cannot reach far on a 25.5 neck. normally its fine but if i have to span 4-6 frets i really cant do it. its way easier in a short scale
There isn't a stock brand out there with a thinner, flatter neck than the ibanez wizard necks- which is what you want for shred. The fingerboard has a radius of nearly 17" which means you can get the lowest string action. Even jacksons 16" radius cant touch it.

The fingerboards are wide and flat which is what you want for noodling. Playing chords isnt the most comfortable, but for lead playing its ridiculous.
I love my Ibanez JS2400.
Got the 24 frets you're looking for, and if it's good enough for Satriani to play, it's good enough for anyone else.
+1 to the PRS CE24, great guitars.

Protest the hero uses LTD/ESP guitars last time I checked.
Shur guitars, ESP Horizon/M series, Ibanez Prestige, Jackson soloist/RR, PRS CE 24/Standard 24, EBMM JP6/Axis, Peavey Wolfgang/EVH wolfgang are all good places to start looking
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Definetely and definitely and most definitely and still definitely, Ibanez Rg Prestige. The ones with 17-19cm width, ball milled wizard ultra hp neck, this is world's definetly fastest damn neck ever made. If you want to be fast, Ibane RG prestige is definetly what you are looking for. Maybe you can try 30 fret model, ultimate shredder RG.
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1 to the PRS CE24, great guitars.

Protest the hero uses LTD/ESP guitars last time I checked.
Shur guitars, ESP Horizon/M series, Ibanez Prestige, Jackson soloist/RR, PRS CE 24/Standard 24, EBMM JP6/Axis, Peavey Wolfgang/EVH wolfgang are all good places to start looking

Pretty sure Luke Hoskin (lead) plays on a Ibanez Prestiege S. Tim Millar plays other things

So I'm going to the big city for the day soon and the plan is to just play everything in sight. This was awesome though, boucing ideas off you guys, mini debate, etc., and I even got Tom to post in my thread, haha.

Thanks guys, any more suggestions/points would be appreciated.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
You really just need to find a guitar that "fits" your hand. If it feels good you will be able to shred ...with practice. I find narrow(nut width) necks a harder for me to play since I have long fingers. My USA BCRich Bich is almost too narrow at the nut, it makes my fingers angle so it hurts the bones in my finger tips but 12th fret to 24 it widens out and my hand feels fine.
I have yet to play a Jackson(because I am afraid I would need to buy one) but the repair guy at Capitol Guitars in St. Paul MN swears buy them thinks they are the best made us guitars right now.
What the hell!!!
my s series ibby has great sustain.. the mahogny body i think makes up for its lack of depth