So I am a new guitarist (I only know a few power chords and some basic metallica songs so I consider myselfa beginner) and I currently have a Dean MLX guitar, which is a piece of junk. I hate the body style and the guitar in general, so I need a new guitar.

Anyway, I decided that my first guitar will be a Les paul because I love the shape and size of the guitar, and they sound pretty good. I will be using it for playing melodic death metal (I will be taking it to guitar lessons as well) and general metal. I use Standard tuning and C/Drop A# tuning.

Anyway, I have ~$300 to spend and I took a look at these two guitars at Guitar Center today:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar-100237216-i1320937.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-104298773-i1174173.gc

I just wanted to know what the differences were. They look very similar but the Standard is more expensive. So if someone could describe the differences in a way that a guitar beginner would understand I wouldbe greatful.

Also, are Les Paul's good all-around beginner guitars? Do they last a long time?
Epiphone makes some good guitars.
Some are not so great, others are pretty good.

Those 2 look good to me, low end, but not terrible.

I like Les Pauls.
So do many others.
Some people don't like them.
Quote by CodeMonk
Epiphone makes some good guitars.
Some are not so great, others are pretty good.

Those 2 look good to me, low end, but not terrible.

I like Les Pauls.
So do many others.
Some people don't like them.

I understand that they are low end but I am a high school senior and $300 is a lot of cash for an unemployed senior. I actually tried a $2899 Gibson LP while I was there today and that thing was pretty amazing, I just can't afford it.

Other than Les Paul is there is a similarly priced guitar I can get for ~$300?
Really it's just going to be the appearance of the guitar that will be different. The studio doesn't have the fancy inlays or the sunburst finish. Then again the standard is a plain top so it's not too fancy either.

Where do you live? I was at long & mcquade a couple days ago and the price of new epi les pauls has gone down a lot...there were some really nice ones, brand new, for around 500
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Those are definitely beginner guitars. My first guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. It only lasts to the point where you realize you need a better guitar and you can buy one. I delayed that by putting some old Ibanez pickups in mine, which made it sound better, but the playing... you start to notice how much better a higher dollar guitar feels compared to it. But that won't be for a while, so I'd go for the cheaper at the moment if money is the issue, since you'll replace it later anyway.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
It's great you're set on a LP but please! PLEASE! Take the time to sit down in a store to play as many guitars as you can. I wanted an LP badly to but the first time I played one my thoughts quickly changed. They aren't for everybody. (It's also not really a metal guitar per say..)

If you do end up going LP, go with the Standard. The Studio's always seem cheap to me. Just my opinion though. You get what you pay for.

Next, those 2 tunings you mentioned are going to put your neck through hell. I hope you leave one guitar in standard and the other detuned. It will save you time tuning your guitar and etc..

A good beginner guitar is one that suits you well. I know it's an ambiguous answer but it is true. Refer to the first point I made.

Any guitar will last a long time IF you treat it WELL. Remember this for future reference when you're shredding up a guitar worth a couple thousand bucks.

Repeat after me:

The safest place is in the case.

Got that? If you aren't playing it, keep your baby safe. She'll love you back if you love her. Yeah, it's nice to look at on a stand or on your wall.. Until it falls and breaks.. You never know right?

Quote by OfCourseNot
Those are definitely beginner guitars. My first guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. It only lasts to the point where you realize you need a better guitar and you can buy one. I delayed that by putting some old Ibanez pickups in mine, which made it sound better, but the playing... you start to notice how much better a higher dollar guitar feels compared to it. But that won't be for a while, so I'd go for the cheaper at the moment if money is the issue, since you'll replace it later anyway.

you can't really compare the special II to a standard, it's like apples and oranges. special II's have basswood bodies, are flat tops, have bolt on necks, etc. that's why they sell for 170$ brand new...they're literally as cheap as you can go on everything.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I'd say go with the standard if looks are a selling point to you. There isn't much of a difference between the two because both studios and standards are made of the same materials. The studio was designed as a cleaner, simpler version of the standard. It's really your call on which one you prefer, especially if your going to swap out the pickups.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by OfCourseNot

I actually noticed the LP Special II as well as it was $144. Is there a huge difference between the Special II and the Standard/Studio? If there isn't I would rather get the Special II since it is a lot cheaper and I can use the extra money on other things.

So basically it is a good beginner guitar but I will need something more advanced when I get more into it?

Quote by mike_oxbig
Really it's just going to be the appearance of the guitar that will be different. The studio doesn't have the fancy inlays or the sunburst finish. Then again the standard is a plain top so it's not too fancy either.

Where do you live? I was at long & mcquade a couple days ago and the price of new epi les pauls has gone down a lot...there were some really nice ones, brand new, for around 500

Actually I was going to get the Ebony one, not the Sunburst. And I live in Bay Area, CA.
Look on craigslist and see if you can find a used les paul custom within your price range

they're basically epi's top of the line model, and it will last you all the way up until you're ready to start playing on stage. i've been playing for 3 years and i still love my epi custom
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by mike_oxbig
Look on craigslist and see if you can find a used les paul custom within your price range

they're basically epi's top of the line model, and it will last you all the way up until you're ready to start playing on stage. i've been playing for 3 years and i still love my epi custom

I actually checked the Craigslist for my area and there wasn't anything that would suit me. Guitar Center and Amazon are really the only places I can buy from.
Good luck returning a guitar once you've played it outside the store, they'll give you used guitar value for it.

Go ahead and buy your mid range guitar for more than you'd be spending on an upgraded higher end one. Pick one that looks nice to you, there's no difference between those two models besides aesthetics.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by ComradeNF
I actually noticed the LP Special II as well as it was $144. Is there a huge difference between the Special II and the Standard/Studio? If there isn't I would rather get the Special II since it is a lot cheaper and I can use the extra money on other things.

Special II sucks. But check this out. http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-500-Series-Solid-Mahogany-SOLID-carved-Maple-Tops_c_182.html Its just as good as a epiphone standard but cheaper. Leaving you money to put into a tuner, strings, picks, and a hard case which if you select the option for a hard case when you buy its they knock off $10 on it.
The difference between the studio and standard is cosmetic, get the studio.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E