It's common knowledge that single coils produce an annoying hum when used at high volumes or with a good amount of gain. But honestly, after watching numerous videos of telecasters and strats that use a healthy amount of gain, I don't really hear it. I PM as many YouTuber's as I can, and the ones that do reply say they found no need for a gain. A friend of mine just got a Digitech Hardwire SC-2 and with the gain maxed, he says he has no noise problems.

So what's up?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
with a properly sheilded guitar single coils will make justa tab bit of noise

but can easily be managed unles you have shitty wiring and use a TON of gain
noisy enough to be somewhat annoying, not noisy enough to debilitate playing
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
i dont know why this comes up so much, but for a quick background on me, i have gone through 10 or so MIM strats and 2 MIM teles, they all came from trades and i ownly own one strat.

some were worse than others, as stated shielding is a very important, quality of cable, and not going too crazy on gain.

the one i have now is a '95, completely unmodified. i know i will keep probably forever. i can't even really hear much hum this guitar is, very quiet. now some of the others were similar but not quite as good and i had at least four or five that were unplayable IMO without a noise gate. i shielded them and it got quite a bit better.

in short:
they vary. i dont know if it is that some years were better or what, and am not really a fender player, i just need to have something with usable single coils (other than my RG)

i wouldn't worry about it all that much, worst case scenario you need a noise reduction pedal, rocktron has a noise reducer that is cheap. it is the Hush i believe. again it is cheap and all it does is eliminate hum from guitars/pickups.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've got to be a rare breed, but I actually enjoy hum I use P90s, which are notorious for excessive hum, but I find that with a touch of reverb, the hum sounds really cool and sort of fills out my tone.
Play in a room with no other electrical equipment and a guitar that's fully shielded and use high quality cables and you'll hear only a tiny trace of hum.

Play in a room with neon signs, computers, mobile phones, use cheap cables and a guitar with no shielding and you'll struggle to get anything out of the guitar other than constant noise.

All depends where you are and what exact gear you're talking about.
modern single coils aren't hugely noisy. they're certainly louder than a good, modern humbucker, but they really aren't noisy enough to avoid them or even worry about it really

vintage single coils though, those are loud as all hell. older single coils, especially those from before 1970, were incredibly loud and difficult to control. that's a big part of why humbuckers were invented.
Quote by larrytheguitar
It's common knowledge that single coils produce an annoying hum when used at high volumes or with a good amount of gain. But honestly, after watching numerous videos of telecasters and strats that use a healthy amount of gain, I don't really hear it. I PM as many YouTuber's as I can, and the ones that do reply say they found no need for a gain. A friend of mine just got a Digitech Hardwire SC-2 and with the gain maxed, he says he has no noise problems.

So what's up?

Do this: Quieting the Beast, Shielding a Strat

Shielding makes the hum a bit more manageable. SCs from the Strat and Tele through high gain amps are so delicious ... nothing like cranking them through the SLO or VH4 or Twin Jet or Herbert with the Gain almost maxed!

My Texas Specials are fairly noisy when I have the gain at about 6 on the amp and am using an overdrive pedal, but it's nothing that would really take away from playing tbh. If you're worried about noise you could always get noiseless single coils
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
What I've always used as a rule of thumb is that the hum shouldn't be so loud as to impair hearing what you play. If you hear the hum over your playing, something is wrong.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Completely depends on the pickups and the guitar itself.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Shielding, grounding, good noisegate. 3 sollutions to help you forget worrying about SC noise.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by shredibanez24
My Texas Specials are fairly noisy when I have the gain at about 6 on the amp and am using an overdrive pedal, but it's nothing that would really take away from playing tbh. If you're worried about noise you could always get noiseless single coils

Funny, my Texas Specials are just really slightly noisier than the humbucker in the Strat.
Can't hear any noise despite the noise the preamp of my amp makes, even on the highest gain settings.

However, when I tried a Marshall Haze for example, the noise on that one was really annoying.
I think it also has to do a lot with the noise floor of the amp you are using.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz