Im a self taught acoustic guitar player and been playing for about 4 years. So i thought i should try and learn some theory,, but when i looked at the basics i realized that i already knew just about everything on that particular list...i just hadn't realize it was theory i somehow picked up...

I want to know you guys opinion on if its better to learn your theory from experience or to get a book and watch some videos or tutorials on it to have a clear understanding?

Thanks so much i really value ya'll opinion and advice !
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
On one hand, you can learn it all by yourself.

On the other hand, you can learn from resources compiled by millions of people over many centuries.

If you're in any way serious about learning more music theory, grab a good book or a good teacher. I thought I was competent, but then my piano teacher started me on writing cadences with traditional harmony. That alone, by learning about the harmony and interaction and leading of different voices, has had a tremendous effect on my musical knowledge.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by millie&mavis
Im a self taught acoustic guitar player and been playing for about 4 years. So i thought i should try and learn some theory,, but when i looked at the basics i realized that i already knew just about everything on that particular list...i just hadn't realize it was theory i somehow picked up...

I want to know you guys opinion on if its better to learn your theory from experience or to get a book and watch some videos or tutorials on it to have a clear understanding?

What is the "list" you speak of.

I picked up theory from both book-learning and playing with experienced musicians who also have great knowledge on musical theory. Doing it both ways has come in handy in both the playing of my instrument and written composition (like for instrument that I can't actually play...but I can write music for them)
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by millie&mavis

That line puzzles me a bit because theory isn't a "list". Sure there's lots of aspects to it but they all link in to each other to improve your overall understanding of music. Also there's a big difference between knowing what something is and knowing how to use it.

Probably the most important thing about understanding theory is that it's universal, not instrument specific, so it allows you to communicate your ideas with other musicians and likewise easily understand theirs. Certainly you can build up a good understanding of the guitar through experience, but how easily could you convey that knowledge to a jam buddy or bandmate so they understood exactly what you were saying?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thank you guys soo much for your comments i really appreciate it because i don't think i know theory well enough to easily explain my ideas to easily to other musicians.

Also i found the list on justinguitar.com when i was searching for a commendable place to learn some theory.
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
Quote by millie&mavis
Thank you guys soo much for your comments i really appreciate it because i don't think i know theory well enough to easily explain my ideas to easily to other musicians.

Also i found the list on justinguitar.com when i was searching for a commendable place to learn some theory.

The whole point of theory is that it's universal, it applies to all music - just learning things like guitar-specific scale patterns and chord shapes isn't really learning theory, you're just learning how to apply something you haven't really learned yet in that scenario.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Only, and just only way to learn how to play good, is to work with a master, as an apprentice. Take lessons from a master, seriously.