Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

I might pick up a Vintage modern 50 watt head today, and was wondering what the consensus was on these amps. My style is very versatile, from blues to rock and hard rock and sometimes a little bit of metal. Will this amp be able to pull this off?

Thanks,

Jim
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
General consensus, from what I gather, is they're not the greatest thing that has come out of the Marshall factory. =/
They are one of the greatest things to come out of the Marshall factory in years. just take your time and it'll be amazing
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I've actually heard they're probably the best line from Marshall in a long time. Slash used them for awhile until he got his signature model recently.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Best Marshall since the 2003.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Bostonrocks
They are one of the greatest things to come out of the Marshall factory in years. just take your time and it'll be amazing

I found Waldo.

Play that shit, you'll sound like Jimmy Page and Randy Rhodes and Slayer all at once.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Just tried it out. It was way too bright for me, I suppose I'm looking for more of an American tone.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
Just tried it out. It was way too bright for me, I suppose I'm looking for more of an American tone.

So why did you pick up a Marshall?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
So why did you pick up a Marshall?

I had never tried a proper one, and had a different expectation of the sound I guess. slighty overdriven the amp sounded great though.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Fair enough, but I mean, if you expected an American style tone, its like well, you dont buy a Marshall....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I know but I wasn't sure what tone I was going for. I liked the tones guys like slash and others use but I couldn't get that tone out of the amp. Perhaps it's because having a band to back you makes it sound different as a whole or because I just suck at dialing in amps!
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Well the VM should have no issues sounding like Slash

How were you EQ'ing it?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Well the VM should have no issues sounding like Slash

How were you EQ'ing it?

master volume at about 4, bass at 6, mid at 6/7 , treble at 5/6 , presence at 8, detail at 3/4 and body at 4. Had the mid boost on.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Did you crank the shit out of it?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Did you crank the shit out of it?

As I said volume was at about 4
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

But yeah, you should have no trouble getting Slash'ish tones with a VM. I have not played one but I hear they are a very good amp - 'probably' better than the JVM from what I've gleaned.
Quote by constructbot
My style is very versatile, from blues to rock and hard rock and sometimes a little bit of metal. Will this amp be able to pull this off?

yes.

very well in fact.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Budget: at the moment about 700 but I can save if need be.
Genres: bit of blues, I love clean with a bit of crunch, rock and harder rock and a little bit of metal.
New or Used: would gladly go used.
Home or Gig: both, but it has to be giggable ( is that a word?).
Closest city: Arnhem, Holland.
Current Gear: Ibanez RG3120, guitar rig 5.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
Budget: at the moment about 700 but I can save if need be.
Genres: bit of blues, I love clean with a bit of crunch, rock and harder rock and a little bit of metal.
New or Used: would gladly go used.
Home or Gig: both, but it has to be giggable ( is that a word?).
Closest city: Arnhem, Holland.
Current Gear: Ibanez RG3120, guitar rig 5.

thanks.

now go find a marshall vintage modern 50 watt head to try with a decent closed back cab.

What guitar did you use into it? For a Slash-like tone you need humbuckers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What guitar did you use into it? For a Slash-like tone you need humbuckers.

I was using a Joe Satriani signature, then an epiphone SG and then a les Paul studio by Gibson.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by gregs1020
thanks.

now go find a marshall vintage modern 50 watt head to try with a decent closed back cab.

I tried it with a 1960 lead cab.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot

what did you think?
Quote by gregs1020
what did you think?

Well it sounded quite harsh, thin and too bright for my taste. With the gain knobs over 5 it would just sound like sh*t to be honest.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
I know but I wasn't sure what tone I was going for. I liked the tones guys like slash and others use but I couldn't get that tone out of the amp. Perhaps it's because having a band to back you makes it sound different as a whole or because I just suck at dialing in amps!

ooops, missed this post.

1 - well..
2 - somewhat, it does. it's not going to change your sound but it will help it a bit if mixed right.
3 - well... don't blame the amp. you're going to have to spend some time tweaking.
Quote by constructbot
Well it sounded quite harsh, thin and too bright for my taste. With the gain knobs over 5 it would just sound like sh*t to be honest.

1 - see above.
2 - i'm not a fan of that cab, the 75's aren't my pick for speaker. they are decent though, should be well enough to dial in a semi-likable tone.
3 - was the cab brand spankin' new? speakers take a while to get broken in and loosen up a bit.

basically, my thoughts on that amp are with the right cab and right guitar, it's going to sound very good. if it lacks anything, it's low end bass response. so i tend to have the body and bass knobs over half way with "bass" usually being higher than "body".

but that's me tweaking it for my preference. you may want a completely different tone out of it to your ears.

or it may just not be the amp for you.

but if i were considering buying it as you are, i'd try it with a few cabs in the store. that way you'll see more of what it has to offer tonally.

a shit cab can cremate your tone. just because it's a 1960, doesn't mean it's great. the gt75's are meh speakers tbh, imo, etc.

try it with other cabs is my vote here. and hey, it may not be for you. (use your guitar).
Can you hire one for a couple of days so you can spend some time dialing it in properly?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by constructbot

was it a new cab or a broken in cab? new speakers can sound overly bright and stiff

marshalls are pretty bright amps anyway in my experience - so maybe you need something slightly different (hence my link)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
was it a new cab or a broken in cab? new speakers can sound overly bright and stiff

marshalls are pretty bright amps anyway in my experience - so maybe you need something slightly different (hence my link)

Wouldn't know, it was in a store.

As for a different amp, any suggestions?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX
You have a Satriani guitar, get a JSX.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have this amp! It's insane. I find it has a hard time doing metal, but I don't play metal that much.

It's a very cool amp, I love it. Had it about a year now and it ain't going anywhere!

I would say you definitely have to tweak the controls a bit to find a good sound. There's loads of them in there, but you just gotta twist some knobs for a bit.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Dec 30, 2011,
hmm can't seem to find any used egnators here in Holland. Damn, you guys make me think I might not have spent enough time tinkering with the controls...( spent like an hour though.) I could pick a 2266 up for 475, how's that for a deal anyway?

WholeLottaIzzy could you perhaps make a demo of the sound?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Last edited by constructbot at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by constructbot
hmm can't seem to find any used egnators here in Holland. Damn, you guys make me think I might not have spent enough time tinkering with the controls...( spent like an hour though.) I could pick a 2266 up for 475, how's that for a deal anyway?

WholeLottaIzzy could you perhaps make a demo of the sound?

Yeah sure. I'll have to do it over the next few days. Everyone is in bed now. I have a Les Paul, a Strat and a Tele with P90's so that should cover the guitars. Did you want just the guitar straight into the amp? Give me a few days and I'll get something sorted for you if I have time. Working all day tomorrow then New Year's Eve party and I'm busy Sunday, but if I find time I'll do it.
u need to sit down at really test that amp. cause if your not finding the tones your looking for, then ur doing something wrong. given that wherever your getting it from has a return policy.....pick it up, try it through YOUR RIG, and then confirm. if it was to bright well....u had the presence at 8 so ya. it also sounds good through a lot of cabs too. so try it through your cab, throw an OD infront. then come back with results.

it really can nail any tone i want/need. i even play my 7 string through it. its also not as fizzy as the other high gain marshals once you learn to balance the detail and body controlls.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Yeah sure. I'll have to do it over the next few days. Everyone is in bed now. I have a Les Paul, a Strat and a Tele with P90's so that should cover the guitars. Did you want just the guitar straight into the amp? Give me a few days and I'll get something sorted for you if I have time. Working all day tomorrow then New Year's Eve party and I'm busy Sunday, but if I find time I'll do it.

Thanks a lot!

Question about the lead, will I be able to get a steve vai-ish tone? My own town is a bit like his. I could always use an od/tubescreamer to get the sound I want right?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
The VM can hit any high-wattage british tone, ever.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
The VM can hit any high-wattage british tone, ever.

Will I be able to go "american" with a pedal?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Will you be able to get a 6l6 power section with a pedal? Maybe an AB/Y. Bright american or dark american?

As in running two amps.

Did you play on an XXX yet? They pull off brilliant, brightly voiced "American" rock and cleans

I dont remember which side of the river you hail from, but check out Splawn amps if they ahven't been recommended already. Fantastic, very JCMey, and a bit smoother than most Marshalls.

EDIT: Be sure to use a little less gain than you think you need, crank the volume a fair bit, and abuse those strings. Your not playing jazz runs stop playing like it kinda thing lol
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Will you be able to get a 6l6 power section with a pedal? Maybe an AB/Y. Bright american or dark american?

As in running two amps.

Did you play on an XXX yet? They pull off brilliant, brightly voiced "American" rock and cleans

I dont remember which side of the river you hail from, but check out Splawn amps if they ahven't been recommended already. Fantastic, very JCMey, and a bit smoother than most Marshalls.

EDIT: Be sure to use a little less gain than you think you need, crank the volume a fair bit, and abuse those strings. Your not playing jazz runs stop playing like it kinda thing lol

Hmm I dunno about the XXX, it seems more geared towards metal, which is not exactly what I'm looking for. But I could use pedals to achieve a harder rock to metal sound right? Splawn is a no-go for me, I live in Holland.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700