Poll: Can you usually tell if you someone is/has been lying to you ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you usually tell if you someone is/has been lying to you ?
Yes.
22 34%
Sometimes.
41 63%
No.
2 3%
Voters: 65.
Just a thought that occurred to me today while in one of my philosophical moods, and I realised I can usually tell if someone's lying to me a from a mile away. It's a good ability to have I guess, but sometimes it gets in the way if someone is indeed actually telling me the truth but I mistake it for a lie.

So my question is, can you usually tell if you're being lied to ?
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
Last edited by ARMAGEDDON_IT at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by ARMAGEDDON_IT
Just a thought that occurred to me today while in one of my philosophical moods, and I realised I can usually tell if someone's lying to me a from a mile away. It's a good ability to have I guess, but sometimes it gets in the way if someone is indeed actually telling me the truth but I mistake it for a lie.

Look at there eye's if they look one way or they scratch their head there is more but i cant think of them right now.
If I know the person well enough, mostly yes. I don't normally act on it though cause I could always be wrong.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Yeah, but it's not like anybody really knows me, so there's no reason to hide anything from me. /forever alone
There aren't many good liars in the world. If someone lies straight out, I think I'm pretty good at catching it. If someone is just hiding something, chances are I won't pick up on it.

Yes most of the time
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Sometimes. If I'm really close to a person then I can tell if he or she is lying.

I'm not a good liar myself it feels weird to lie.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by ARMAGEDDON_IT

So, basically, you're saying you sometimes can tell when people are lying, but also sometimes mistake lies for the truth?

Sounds an awful lot like random guessing to me.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Killerfridge
So, basically, you're saying you sometimes can tell when people are lying, but also sometimes mistake lies for the truth?

Sounds an awful lot like random guessing to me.

I guess I could have worded my post a little better. What I meant was sometimes I can be too critical of people and assume they're lying when they're not. I can usually pick when people are straight out lying, but for instance sometimes when I think someone's hiding something it occasionally turns out that they aren't, because I'm looking into it too hard. I hope that makes sense.

Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
Last edited by ARMAGEDDON_IT at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by AlteredMaggot18
Look at there eye's if they look one way or they scratch their head there is more but i cant think of them right now.

Eyes moving to the side indicates the recalling of a memory, which usually means they're telling the truth.

Myth busted.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
Eyes moving to the side indicates the recalling of a memory, which usually means they're telling the truth.

Myth busted.

Apparently if they move their eyes to the right it means recalling of a memory, but if it's to the left it indicates fabricating a story. That or the other way round >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Apparently if they move their eyes to the right it means recalling of a memory, but if it's to the left it indicates fabricating a story. That or the other way round >_>

Hmm, never heard that one. When I'm trying to remember something I look up and to the left.

I've heard that when you're lying you try to maintain eye contact because a common belief is that looking away indicates lying, so you wouldn't look away at all but keep the gaze to seem more convincing.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
Hmm, never heard that one. When I'm trying to remember something I look up and to the left.

I've heard that when you're lying you try to maintain eye contact because a common belief is that looking away indicates lying, so you wouldn't look away at all but keep the gaze to seem more convincing.

So if you look away you're lying and if you hold eye contact you're lying. Catch 22 right there >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
I take really deep breaths when I lie. So now you know.

OT: no, I'm terrible at it because I'm really gullible
cat
Quote by entity0009
So if you look away you're lying and if you hold eye contact you're lying. Catch 22 right there >_>

Sorry, let me rephrase.

The common belief is that you look away when you lie, but that's not true. It usually means you're telling the truth. That's why it's much more likely that when someone maintains eye contact that it means they're lying.

There was a show on Fox called 'Lie to Me' that was about reading peoples facial expressions and tone of voice to see if they were lying or not. This guy can tell whenever anyone is lying because he's studied about it extensively and goes around interrogating people to solve crimes. Pretty interesting.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by entity0009
If I know the person well enough, mostly yes. I don't normally act on it though cause I could always be wrong.

This, but i must say that i am a good liar myself.
TS is a lying sack of dick.

Burn thread, piss on ashes.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
How do you know if someone is lying? Simple; their lips are moving.

/cynicism
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I used to know one bloke who makes a face like he's just cried when he's lying, which I think is his attempt at an honest face. He made the same face when acting in a drama class.

I are detective.

EDIT: And I heard on QI that the looking to the left thing is balls.
Last edited by whalepudding at Dec 30, 2011,
Seems to me any sudden unnecessary movements while something is being told. Also the left eye, right eye situation is very valid imo.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
It's simple really...

They say nothing is wrong...

That they promise they're happy...

And then they're gone.

;___;
Always.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by JayT44
There was a show on Fox called 'Lie to Me' that was about reading peoples facial expressions and tone of voice to see if they were lying or not. This guy can tell whenever anyone is lying because he's studied about it extensively and goes around interrogating people to solve crimes. Pretty interesting.

The bastard must own at L.A Noire, man.
Quote by blake1221
It's simple really...

They say nothing is wrong...

That they promise they're happy...

And then they're gone.

;___;

I'm sorry, this line was so well scripted that I couldn't help but laugh
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by sjones
TS is a lying sack of dick.

Burn thread, piss on ashes.

Oh c'mon

Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken