Page 1 of 3
Just curious how long it typical takes for you guys to all break strings, both on acoustic and electric. I realize gauge and string quality are pretty important in this but I feel like I break mine way too often, or at least more than I want to.

So what say ye?
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
I break ernie balls all the time. They're not as slinky for me as I'd wish... I use D'addario super lights (8-38) and I only break one if I abuse the floyd, usually just from stress and the string starts to unwind.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I don't break them, but I still change them every 2-3 months regardless. The last time I broke strings they were on for about 7 months, and that was the first time I used D'addrio changing from Elixers. The Elixers lasted longer but they were 2-3x as much and I have too many guitars for that to be a good idea.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
It varies
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Sometimes like the day after I change 'em, sometimes I don't break 'em before I change 'em a few months later.

I broke one the other day that'd been on since like Thanksgiving.

*on electric.

I never really break 'em on acoustic for whatever reason. Probably 'cuz I'm just strummin, not rocking out and violently slashing at the strings. Yeah, I bet that's it.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by entity0009
Never broken a string. Aww yeaah.

I was tempted to say its because you never played enough until I checked out your music. 'tis damn good my friend. damn good. Downloading as I type this
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Quote by MattsRichardson
I was tempted to say its because you never played enough until I checked out your music. 'tis damn good my friend. damn good. Downloading as I type this

Thanks man

Enjoy

As for the non-breakage, it's probably because I have ridiculously thick strings and prefer to leave them fairly loose...that and I don't really do much aggressive picking, I think I'm one of the gentlest pickers I know
🙈 🙉 🙊
I've had the same set of strings on my guitar for months. Like, a lot of them. Probably at least a year. I keep it in C# though.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I think I probably change mine too often to have one break one me. Corrosive sweat means I usually have to replace strings every couple of weeks if I'm playing lots. Couldn't imagine leaving them on for months, they'd be black and rotten by then lol. I did have a few problems with EB strings unravelling at the ball end on the high strings recently, switching to the RPS EB strings fixed that issue.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
I change my strings on electric pretty much every month when pay day arrives. Because of this, I don't break electric strings ever.

Can't remember the last string I broke. Probably an acoustic one as I change those strings about twice a year.
I always break them within a month on my acoustic guitar, but have never broken one on my electric.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
I never break them when im playing just when im tuning weird or changing'em.
Not that often. I broke one recently after violently abusing the whammy bar, but usually I change em before they snap.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by stealstrings
Not that often. I broke one recently after violently abusing the whammy bar, but usually I change em before they snap.

Hold on guys. We have a psychic over here!

On average, if I disregard the fact that I'm more into piano now, a few weeks to a month before something breaks. Usually it's the high e string that breaks, but I also change the B and G string occasionally when they're oxidized beyond reason (read: rusty as fuck.).
I have a policy of changing them every 2 months on my acoustic because I never break them. They usually sound like shit by the time I replace them. I try this with my electric, but usually end my breaking my high e (every god damn time) and just restring the whole thing, as I like to clean it at the same time.
I hardly ever snap strings, I've snapped like 3 in a few years...

if you use decent strings, string them properly and don't act like some sort of special kid on a day out walking a floyd rose then you should be fine.
Check out my fitness blog here
Pretty much never. I'll break maybe one string per 10+ sets that I put on.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
i dont usually break strings probably casue i have my guitars well set up and i use real thick strings
even on my floyd equippted guitars i dont break them at all...but this does rmeind me that i shuld probably chage them soon
3-4 months I change mine. It's often a pink floyd solo that snaps my E string or something. Lately I've been practicing VAI which has some crazy bends, I broke my E string then. Otherwise I just change when the tone gets shitty.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I rarely break strings.

It could be because I generally change strings on my guitars at least once every 3 weeks if I'm gigging or recording. Either that, or my strings just respect and fear me enough and choose not to fuck me over like that.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by entity0009
Thanks man

Enjoy

As for the non-breakage, it's probably because I have ridiculously thick strings and prefer to leave them fairly loose...that and I don't really do much aggressive picking, I think I'm one of the gentlest pickers I know

I've never broken a string, either, and i'm a pickin madman. I don't do a lot of big bends, though, maybe that's the reason.

Honestly, unless the strings are really thin, I have no idea why so many people break their strings so often. One of these days soon i'm gonna put up some of my riffs on a linky. It's probably amazing that I don't break strings considering the speed and attack. But for some reason I just don't.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I rarely break 'em. I change 'em every 2/3 months though. Elixir nanoweb 10s are what I use.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
If you're breaking them before they go dull you've probably got a problem. If they're already dull it's not a big deal because you'll have to replace them anyway, if you don't want to deal with tuning stability issues and lacklustre tone.
My acoustic has never broken a string on me. I've had it for 3 (?) years.

My electric though... When i first bought it, i forgot to change the strings and used the ones that came with the guitar. 4 Broke on me in a week.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Never anymore; I play too softly, I can't even hear me half the time.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I rarely break strings, but when I do (maybe every half a year or so) I always seem to manage to break one on all my guitars, no matter how recently I changed them.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Quote by Zeropathic
I rarely break strings, but when I do (maybe every half a year or so) I always seem to manage to break one on all my guitars, no matter how recently I changed them.

"Just a bit more to an octave bend!"
If you don't break strings, you aren't trying hard enough.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I can't remember the last time I broke a string. I think it's a combination of having the right touch, keeping my guitars in good condition, and changing my strings regularly. I usually change them every week to 2 weeks, depending on how much I've been playing.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Let me hold you for the last time
It's the last chance to feel again
But you broke me, now I can't feel anything

When I love you and so untrue
I can't even convince myself
When I'm speaking it's the voice of someone else

Oh, it tears me up
I tried to hold on but it hurts too much
I tried to forgive but it's not enough
To make it all okay

You can't play our broken strings
You can't feel anything
That your heart don't want to feel
I can't tell you something that ain't real

Oh, the truth hurts and lies worse
How can I give anymore
When I love you a little less than before?
I mostly use .11s, and I can't remember the last time they broke. They go to dull to play before the break, so I end up changing them before they get a chance to snap.
I just broke my high E doing this

And string breakage seems to always coincide with my depression.
/FML moments
Quote by Basti95
I just broke my high E doing this

And string breakage seems to always coincide with my depression.
/FML moments

I know that feel, bro. That solo has broken the high E many times for me.

Did it poke you in the eye when it snapped? That string just wasn't good enough for you.
Quote by sashki
I know that feel, bro. That solo has broken the high E many times for me.

Did it poke you in the eye when it snapped?

I wish it had. dude that would be BR00T4L, i'm not even kidding!

I am disappoint, I actually had my guitar tuned perfectly in drop D, 430 and everything, this really sucks.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I don't break strings while playing.

Well clap-fucking-clap to you, Sir.
Page 1 of 3