To stop feedback and hum, Not sure whether to get the Ns-2 or the MXR Smart Gate?
Do you actually need one?

Despite what anybody says: all noise suppressors change your sound for the worse. They cut some of the high frequencies which ruins sparkle on a clean sound and makes dirty sounds duller. You can replace some of the magic by using a booster/eq but it's never the same and your overcomplicating your rig, which in my eyes is never good.

If hum is your problem shield your guitars, buy good cables and replace your fluorescent lights. If feedback is your problem but better cables, buy potted pickups, stand in different positions in your room and turn your gain down. IF you still have an unmanageable noise problem then (and only then) even consider a noise reduction pedal/rack. I've seen many people fork out for these pedals and left alone for 5mins with their rig I've sorted their problems.

(PS: If you're using single coils then consider switching to hum cancelling singles or use something like the Suhr backplate to stop the hum)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
yeah the decimator is claimed to be transparent, but i can hear when it's on. it's subtle, but it's there- as lewis said, it robs a wee bit of sparkle and "immediacy", for want of a better word, from your tone.

that being said, it's very, very good, and if you do need a noisegate (after checking all lewis/powerfreak's suggestions first) then it's a good one. I haven't tried all the noise gates which are available, but to my ears and fingers it's noticeably better than the ns2.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah the decimator is claimed to be transparent, but i can hear when it's on. it's subtle, but it's there- as lewis said, it robs a wee bit of sparkle and "immediacy", for want of a better word, from your tone.

that being said, it's very, very good, and if you do need a noisegate (after checking all lewis/powerfreak's suggestions first) then it's a good one. I haven't tried all the noise gates which are available, but to my ears and fingers it's noticeably better than the ns2.

Tbh turning the volume dial to 0 is better than an NS2.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details

I actually found it was usable when i tried the x-pattern method, but yeah... it wasn't exactly inspiring performance, either. the decimator's bettter
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think the ns-2 works fairly decent. it doesn't seem to suck out any of my tone if i set it right
I was thinking of getting a Decimator, but there's the original, and then there's the Decimator G String. Is it true that the regular decimator causes trouble with cleans? Not that I'd have much trouble just stomping the thing off when it comes time to play clean, but it'd be a significant concern at some point.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Ive tested the ns2 vs mxr smart gate vs isp decimator vs isp dec gstring vs mxr noise clamp and while the gstring was the best my 2nd choise was the noise clamp. i use mine in the x pattern and it works great. You should at least check it out.
^ just to check, can you use the g-string in the x-pattern method (i.e. both in the loop and in front of the amp at the same time)? I'd email isp to ask but the last time i emailed them i got no reply And the downloadable manual doesn't say.

Quote by music_warrior
I was thinking of getting a Decimator, but there's the original, and then there's the Decimator G String. Is it true that the regular decimator causes trouble with cleans? Not that I'd have much trouble just stomping the thing off when it comes time to play clean, but it'd be a significant concern at some point.

i haven't noticed any problems.

though if you were playing a song which was only clean i'd probably turn it off as you lose a little sparkle.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have a smart gate, things a champ. it doesn't color the tone either. only problem is it can cut notes off unnaturally when i change to clean channel/crunch and pick lightly. i just turn it off for that stuff. the isp decimator is super popular though and definitely worth looking into, i would have got one if not for money issues.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I heard the ns-2 sucks tone. Couldn't tell ya.

I just saved for the decimator g-string, cuts the noise, tightens things up a bit.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
These threads...I hatevthem.... honestly, whatever is cheaper between the three (ns-2, ISP, or noise clamp.)

Everyone's going to tell you one sucks tone over the other....its all horseradish ......try it through your rig. Just get one ( I went with the Ns-2, no tone suck here)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ just to check, can you use the g-string in the x-pattern method (i.e. both in the loop and in front of the amp at the same time)? I'd email isp to ask but the last time i emailed them i got no reply And the downloadable manual doesn't say.

though if you were playing a song which was only clean i'd probably turn it off as you lose a little sparkle.

Oh yeah, if the song was totally clean, I wouldn't even bother having the thing on. My amp's clean channel is prisitine, and that's without using active pups.

Quote by Surjer
Ive tested the ns2 vs mxr smart gate vs isp decimator vs isp dec gstring vs mxr noise clamp and while the gstring was the best my 2nd choise was the noise clamp. i use mine in the x pattern and it works great. You should at least check it out.

I was looking into the noise clamp at first. Very affordable pedal. Too bad I can't find a local place to try one out. Maybe Guitar Center, but they should change their name to "The Place That Never Has What You're Looking For, But They Can Order It For You".
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
the NS-2 is good, I had to play with it for a while to get it set right, but I love using it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by music_warrior
(a) Oh yeah, if the song was totally clean, I wouldn't even bother having the thing on. My amp's clean channel is prisitine, and that's without using active pups.

(b) I was looking into the noise clamp at first. Very affordable pedal. Too bad I can't find a local place to try one out. Maybe Guitar Center, but they should change their name to "The Place That Never Has What You're Looking For, But They Can Order It For You".

(a) yeah

(b) hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends on what style of playing. for that choppy complex rhythm metal, highly recommend the boss, but for long sustaining notes it does an alright job, that's if you find a sweet spot.
My 2-cents: I use the NS2 in x-configuration with my Dual Rectifier, have been using it for a while, and even though I thought it wasn't sucking tone, I discovered it recently while doing some recording. It's sucking some of the sparkle from the modern channel and actually making it a little bassier or boomier. Now that I'm hearing that through the recordings, I'm ready to get rid of the NS2 and try something else. If only I had the budget to try out all of the alternatives =P
As a follow-up, I just got and tested the MXR Noise Clamp in the x-configuration (4CM, "in the loop," or whatever you want to call it).

I don't notice any tone coloration with my Dual Rectifier, and it's so simple to use with just one knob to dial in the sensitivity. $80 new with shipping... it's a keeper!!
I've also found that dialing back the gain knob helps clean up some noise.

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Decimator.... mos def
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Doesnt seam the OP is interested in hearing about it anymore as he only posted the orginal message and hasnt chimed back in with any questions.

@tenlbham - Glad your enjoying the Noise Clamp. I was very impressed with it as well. Cant beat it for that price range. Would love to get a GString but not in the budget at the moment.
Quote by EspTro
These threads...I hatevthem.... honestly, whatever is cheaper between the three (ns-2, ISP, or noise clamp.)

Everyone's going to tell you one sucks tone over the other....its all horseradish ......try it through your rig. Just get one ( I went with the Ns-2, no tone suck here)

I just got the NS-2 and it sucks. Kills my immediacy and i still have feedback. Im returning it tomorrow for something else.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Ye, I believe so.
It has an effects loop.
Although in my case, I put my dirt pedals in that loop. Which is in the manual.
^ thanks

I think i saw a more recent version of the manual where it said you could do that. But from what I hear, considering I already have a decimator, I'd probably be better just with another bog standard one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Like previous people said, cut all the noise down naturally as much as you can, and use a smart gate if you want absolute silence when not playing without coloring the tone.
The only noise gate I've tried is the NS-2, so I may be a bit biased -- but I think it does a pretty good job for what I wanted it for.

The reason I bought it is that with my Blackout-equipped guitar, running through a TS-9 and then into the lead channel of my 6505+ equates to a lot of feedback-like-howl the instant I stop playing (not actual feedback, because the strings could be muted and it's still there). With the NS-2 in the X-configuration, that problem goes away completely; when I set it aggressively, I can be playing at ear-splitting volumes and put the strings right up to the face of the speaker and if I mute the strings -- it's dead silent in the room. Very, very nice for start/stop metal rhythms and chugging.

I have noticed no tone-suck whatsoever. However, I turn it off for cleans because my amp is silent anyway when I switch over to that channel. What I have noticed (on the lead channel) is that the tone gets a little brighter when I switch it on, and also slightly louder. The tonal content is all still there -- it just brightens it up a bit -- not necessarily a bad thing on an already dark rig.

The other thing I've noticed, which I think could be a problem with any noise gate is that when it's set too aggressively, if you start to play more softly and/or on the lighter strings, your notes can disappear (happened to me at a performance). So it's a balance of setting it aggressively enough to solve your noise problems but lenient enough to allow all of your playing to come through.
Quote by KailM
The only noise gate I've tried is the NS-2, so I may be a bit biased -- but I think it does a pretty good job for what I wanted it for.

The reason I bought it is that with my Blackout-equipped guitar, running through a TS-9 and then into the lead channel of my 6505+ equates to a lot of feedback-like-howl the instant I stop playing (not actual feedback, because the strings could be muted and it's still there). With the NS-2 in the X-configuration, that problem goes away completely; when I set it aggressively, I can be playing at ear-splitting volumes and put the strings right up to the face of the speaker and if I mute the strings -- it's dead silent in the room. Very, very nice for start/stop metal rhythms and chugging.

I have noticed no tone-suck whatsoever. However, I turn it off for cleans because my amp is silent anyway when I switch over to that channel. What I have noticed (on the lead channel) is that the tone gets a little brighter when I switch it on, and also slightly louder. The tonal content is all still there -- it just brightens it up a bit -- not necessarily a bad thing on an already dark rig.

The other thing I've noticed, which I think could be a problem with any noise gate is that when it's set too aggressively, if you start to play more softly and/or on the lighter strings, your notes can disappear (happened to me at a performance). So it's a balance of setting it aggressively enough to solve your noise problems but lenient enough to allow all of your playing to come through.

Like I said, noise should be dealt with naturally, making sure all your equipment is in good shape so it produces as little noise as possible, then do the noise gate if you want absolute silence.

I agree, it's really nice for the whole stop rhythm stuff, and nice if you want absolute silence when you're not playing.