Hey,

Got myself a set of a set of 11-54 gauge "Beefy" strings for my guitar with a floating bridge. Prior to these I had a set of "hybrid slinkies". When tuned up to drop C the bridge is being pulled high into the air; I don't want to tune it to standard in case something breaks. There are currently 3 springs on the underside of the bridge and no more space for a fourth.

Any ideas, can stronger springs be purchased, a vertical bridge is acceptable or just stick with skinnier strings?

The action is also awfully high, i'm guessing the truss rod needs to be tightened too- would any harm be done to the neck with the extra tension?

cheers,
munkey.
first tings first see if you can tighten the spings to do that in the spring cavity theres a claw that has screw that go into you guitar and screw those in to tighten the springs
if its not enough you can get an ectra sping if you guitar has room in it for it and id you need more srping tension make it so that the springs are set upu like this
/ l \
and if all else fails i guess you can buy stronger springs but im at a loss to where to getthme for sure ust ask your local musciain store
im lucky i didnt need new string when i went up a couple guages

edit forgot to mention the truss rod
after the tension has been balanced on your guitar
the neck might be a bit bowed just tighten the truss rod 1/8 of a turn at a time and let it set for an hour or so and see if it made a difference
good luck
Last edited by supersac at Dec 30, 2011,
i'm not familiar with floyd roses but on a strat style trem you can tighten the screws in the back that are holding the strings. thighten them until the bridge comes back to normal position.
after this look down the neck of the guitar and see if it is curved. if the tension is too much the neck will bow forward and you will need to tighten the truss rod. be very careful when adjusting the truss rod. just adjust it a tiny bit and give it a few hours. then check it again and see if you need to adjust it more. you do not want to "over" adjust it though.
If you're going to use thick strings then you need to rebalance the Floyd. That means tightening the springs, adding a spring or two (there will be space, every Floyd can take up to 5 springs) and raising the action very slightly.

You don't get many options with Floyds. It's all a balancing act. You want good action on the Floyd and low playing action then you need to use light strings and use a common tuning like E Standard or Drop D. You want to use heavy strings and tune down a lot then you need to adjust accordingly and accept the guitar may not be as playable and the Floyd's movement may be more limited. That's the price you pay for having a floating bridge.
Quote by grohl1987
(there will be space, every Floyd can take up to 5 springs)

Oops didn't see the other two holes in the tremolo block, ill grab myself a pair of springs then and adjust it up, cheers for the replies guys.
If there still doesn't do it you can get some of these.

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=221

Those are stiffer shorter springs like the ones that come with the Gotoh 1996 floyd style tremolo.