And before anyone says anything, I know it's not meant to be a good clean amp and I do mean cleaner, not actually clean.

I'm just after simple little things that would give me a little more volume before the distortion really kicks into it.

It's a bog standard Orange TT 15 head that I'm currently using with a bass 4x10.

I've been told that a pair of 12au7s in the preamp would add a little clean headroom but i don't know how true this is and if I would be able to just swap them without having to alter anything.

All other suggenstions welcome, both simple and more involved technically.

Thanks in advance
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I haven't actually taken the time to verify this, but you might be able to put a distortion pedal in the front of your chain and drop the gain all the way down. You'll probably have to mess with knobs, but from what I've heard, that works for at least 2-3 people that I've met. Or you could use an EQ, maybe?
Quote by Calymos
I haven't actually taken the time to verify this, but you might be able to put a distortion pedal in the front of your chain and drop the gain all the way down. You'll probably have to mess with knobs, but from what I've heard, that works for at least 2-3 people that I've met. Or you could use an EQ, maybe?

No, that's not true at all.

TS - You can swap the 12AX7s for 12AU7s or 12AT7s for a little less gain...They're a direct swap so just pull the old out and carefully push in the new. I probably wouldn't change both though, usually just one can make a significant change. I'd get one 12AT7 and try it in each position and see what you like. Keep in mind that there can be some adverse affects on tone and volume from doing this.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah, I've tried a few pedals with volume boosts in front of it, it just sounds bad usually and it never sounds cleaner.

That's quite interesting with the12au7a and the 12at7s because I was under the impression that I would likely need a matched pair. Or is that just for the power section you need to deal with that?

Also would there be any drop-in replacemants for EL34s that would do a similar thing and stay clean longer? I won't replace those straight away but they'll not have much more than 6 months in them probably.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
Yeah, I've tried a few pedals with volume boosts in front of it, it just sounds bad usually and it never sounds cleaner.

That's quite interesting with the12au7a and the 12at7s because I was under the impression that I would likely need a matched pair. Or is that just for the power section you need to deal with that?

Also would there be any drop-in replacemants for EL34s that would do a similar thing and stay clean longer? I won't replace those straight away but they'll not have much more than 6 months in them probably.

No - matched sets only apply to power tubes. With preamp tubes you can swap and mix different types and brands to five tune your sound.

A lower gain preamp tube like the 12at7 or 12au7 should definitely help. Maybe an at7 in the phase inverter and an au7 in V1.

Good quality power tubes will help a little bit, but not nearly as much as lower gain preamp valves.
To be honest, it sounds like you've bought the wrong amp....
Quote by kyle62
No - matched sets only apply to power tubes. With preamp tubes you can swap and mix different types and brands to five tune your sound.

A lower gain preamp tube like the 12at7 or 12au7 should definitely help. Maybe an at7 in the phase inverter and an au7 in V1.

Good quality power tubes will help a little bit, but not nearly as much as lower gain preamp valves.

+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by kyle62

Thanks, man, that makes a lot of sense.

And as for the choice of amp, I usually use it for stoner rock which it is perfect for but I also use it for doom where I want a cleaner tone I can put a pedal in front of and I also dabble in a little country. I don't regret the choice at all.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
Thanks, man, that makes a lot of sense.

And as for the choice of amp, I usually use it for stoner rock which it is perfect for but I also use it for doom where I want a cleaner tone I can put a pedal in front of and I also dabble in a little country. I don't regret the choice at all.

The preamp tweaks should help for that kind of thing, yeah.

However, at gig volumes it's always going to get driven and mushy as the power valves overdrive. The best thing you could do is mic it up even at small gigs and keep the master volume moderate.
yeah, i don't think that pedal thing is going to work... a distortion pedal is only really going to increase teh amount of clipping (even at the minimum drive setting), which is the opposite of what you want. Now, i guess if you get pedantic, you could set the volume at less than unity, but that's kind of getting a bit too complicated for its own good, there are better ways to achieve what you want.

Quote by kyle62

+1

only thing is, i'd be concerned that using a 12at7 or 12au7 might be using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. I'd maybe try a 5751 first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?