I am curious to how bands get a very crisp smooth overdriven sound thats still super loud without it sounding like distortion, is it low overdrive on the clean channel? kind of a twangy sound with it too.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Volume.
Midrange.
Not a lot of gain
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
one thing to remember about overdrive is that it's not so much about the gain as much as its volume. get to know your amp's head room cutoff and where it starts to OD itself. an OD pedal simply just makes the sound of an amp breakup happen sooner. if your amp has both channel vol and a MV then keep the channel low and crank the master. i too use a ts9 and what i do with it is keep the gain fairly low, i don't go past 12 oclock if i want more clear tone.

just spend some time with your amp first, you have to lock in with your amp before you throw in pedals, pedals make it more difficult
Quote by ClickSwitch
Good bit of Treble aswel

Good point, the schoolboy error guitarists tend to make is having too much bass in their sound to make it sound"heavier"

Bass should never be higher than mids or treble for a half-decent guitar tone, treble helps immensely with clarity whilst too much bass just makes things muddy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It sounds like you're describing power-tube breakup. So, get an all-tube amp (probably not a high-gain amp), turn the master volume way up, preamp gain to taste, and you should get a softer, warmer distortion. Generally, the lower the wattage the amp has, the lower the volume you need to get that sound. (Sometimes a good thing.) That's why a lot of the low-watt tube amps are gaining popularity. With only 5-15 watts, you can get power-tube distortion at socially-acceptable volume levels. (And they can still be quite loud - just not Marshall Plexi full-stack loud.)
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Can you give an example as to where you would hear such a tone? I'm curious about this as well.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Is this a live tone or a recorded tone you are after?

And it must be said, that EQ settings on an amp set for bedroom volume are not the same settings as those for concert volume.

Speakers respond differently at low volume than at concert volume thus making different sound frequencies more audible. A guitar is a midrange instrument and speakers designed for guitar often focus on that part of the sound spectrum.

A shrill noise is can be too much treble and a flabby noise can be too much bass (but can be a burnt voice coil or damaged cone too.)

And as been said, at concert volume, depending on the music, less gain is needed. For this point, gain could be considered distortion.
Quote by sg4ever
Can you give an example as to where you would hear such a tone? I'm curious about this as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-wmnbfNdN0
this tone
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by Cloudkicker
I am curious to how bands get a very crisp smooth overdriven sound thats still super loud without it sounding like distortion, is it low overdrive on the clean channel? kind of a twangy sound with it too.

They get a Hiwatt Lead 50 full tube head

wait....
just a little bit of preamp distortion and then turn the volume up.

I don't think that guy playing the hollow body is even plugged in.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer