I bought a Taylor 110 off of craiglist about 6 months ago and have been practicing the basic chords, a few of the major & pentatonic scale patterns, and attempting a few songs for at least an hour every day. I have found that I am hitting a brick wall here lately. I realize I have no idea how to go about practicing efficiently.

I find myself continuing to bounce back and forth between
songs or scales I do know, just trying to play them faster and cleaner.
I seem to lack focus or direction..

Any suggestions on a good practice routine?

I have been using JustinGuitar, martyzsongs on youtube, Andrew Wasson’s youtube videos (listening to this guy talk makes me feel dumb, at least about theory).

Will paying for guitar lessons provide much more than what is already out there?

And I received an electric guitar for Christmas. I have been practicing with the acoustic first and then switching to the electric for the past week. Any tips on learning to play both?

Thanks
What is your goal when it comes to learning guitar? You need to have a goal. This is a very important first step. Without that practice becomes meaningless and monotonous. For some a teacher is the best motivator. For me personally that didn't work out well but some will say there is no substitute for a good teacher. Basically learning chords, which also means learning theory, learn all the major scales in every position and be able to play them. This will help in memorizing all the notes on the fretboard. Learn as many songs as you can and play them. Very important to do that because it motivates you to know that you're actually playing something other than scales and makes "practice" more fun.

Electric guitars are somewhat easier to play than acoustic guitars because their action is often lower and the strings aren't as stiff. With that said however, use your acoustic as often as possible. It will help build finger strength faster than the electric.

Identify some goals. That will help you gain some focus. To me that should be the very first step. There will be lots of posts for this topic so I'm going to stop here

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Last edited by skywalker45 at Dec 30, 2011,
Thanks for the quick response.

The electric is definitely easier to play and when I pick it up I immediately want to learn to play Zeppelin but I also the love the smooth sounds of jazz.

My goal is to get to a point where I can play songs I love to listen too by ear and then possibly add something to it.

I'll just keep it simple for now and keep practicing scales (which I actually do find "fun'), chord progressions (have trouble getting to B minor and 7 cleanly) and simple songs. Guess I was looking for a magic practice routine that would make me a great guitar player in a week.
Quote by nero73
Thanks for the quick response.

The electric is definitely easier to play and when I pick it up I immediately want to learn to play Zeppelin but I also the love the smooth sounds of jazz.

My goal is to get to a point where I can play songs I love to listen too by ear and then possibly add something to it.

I'll just keep it simple for now and keep practicing scales (which I actually do find "fun'), chord progressions (have trouble getting to B minor and 7 cleanly) and simple songs. Guess I was looking for a magic practice routine that would make me a great guitar player in a week.

Yeah that magic routine doesn't exist but if it does and you find it please let me know! You really have to find your own groove and every time you play keep your goals in mind. It will help you immensely in the long run. Good luck to you!

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
About this, there is no practice routine we can give you without knowing several things: your goals, your current challenges, your skill level in all areas of music, and other things such as how much you enjoy a particular way of learning over another.

My practice schedule changes every day. I use something called the Practice Generator that will take everything I said into account. Something my guitar teacher invented.

Also:

You need to start with your MINDSET.

It all starts there... Without a REAL BURNING DESIRE TO GROW and become an exceptional guitar player, it won't happen.

Get a GREAT guitar teacher (most important step - soooo many problems can happen without a teacher... injuries, lack of direction, loss of interest, slow progress)
Absorb everything you can about guitar playing
Study EVERY resource you find about guitar playing in addition to your guitar lessons
Practice ALL THE TIME (even when you're not holding a guitar)
Learn the difference between PLAYING GUITAR and PRACTICING GUITAR
Talk to everyone you know about guitar playing
Find other guitar players
SEARCH FOR MORE GUITAR PLAYING RESOURCES (not just this website)
The more you know, the faster you willl grow
Write songs EVERY DAY (even if you thik you can't)
Don't think you can't, KNOW YOU CAN. (everyone else can do it too - this is something they try to teach you in elementary school, but nobody actually ends up believing it - your mind controls everything in your life)

You can find lots of additional free resources at my website if you want. (including the practice generator)