Hi, recently i started messing around playing lead guitar, my only problem is every solo i do sounds formulaic and sounds the same as other solos i do, how can i vary my solos? Thanks
Here is a simple technique just to use as an exercise, handicap yourself, only allow yourself to play on one string. That way you will have to concentrate on phrasing the notes and playing them differently.
There are hundreds of techniques like this, but for now try that.
Stop mindlessly moving your fingers through the same shapes on autopilot, and instead start thinking more about the sounds you want to hear, listening more closely to what's coming out of your guitar and be more critical of what you're playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by RichieJovie
Here is a simple technique just to use as an exercise, handicap yourself, only allow yourself to play on one string. That way you will have to concentrate on phrasing the notes and playing them differently.
There are hundreds of techniques like this, but for now try that.

My improv teacher at school once restricted the whole class to playing a solo with only two notes in an exercise. Was supposed to help with rhythm and note placement or something.

Often I sing (or at least think about in my head) what I hear coming next. Licks and patterns are bad and unless you REALLY know what you're doing it can sound like your solo lacks continuity with just a mish mash of different ideas all string together. When I take walks with my head in the clouds and humming a bit, I often come up with some good melody lines that way.

Adding thing like bends, nice vibrato (I looooove vibrato), pinched harmonics, different rhythms (like triplets etc.) can help to liven things up a bit.