Ok so I've been hearing a lot around UG that the Blackstar HT series aren't actually all valve amps, even though reviews and websites believe they are so whats the deal with them?

If they aren't all valve amps, what are they classed as?
Quote by Grawgos
This shit again? What does it matter? If you like how they sound and don't mind a company practicing shady.marketing tactics, then buy it.

its not a to buy or not to buy moment, I'm just curious
They're amps, if it sounds good, who cares?

The Marshall Jubilee isn't strictly all-valve either (uses clipping diodes just like the HT), but it's one of the best sounding amps ever made.

That said, I'm not a fan of Blackstar stuff at all.
Quote by dominodom
its not a to buy or not to buy moment, I'm just curious

Sorry if I came off sounding like a prick, its just that this topic has beaten to death in numerous threads and its just going to turn into an argument between the fanboys and tech/gutshot boys.
hybrids, that aren't even good for the environment.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Grawgos
This shit again? What does it matter? If you like how they sound and don't mind a company practicing shady.marketing tactics, then buy it.

ahahahahaha

but yeah, they're hybrids, as far as i'm aware. a couple of the HTs have an extra preamp tube and *might* be all tube, but i'd want to see a schematic before i believed they were.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know about the rest, but it looks like the 5 watt head is at least mostly tube. It's got two tubes which for such a low wattage suggests tube in the preamp and tube in the poweramp stages. I'm definitely not an expert, though.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
I don't know about the rest, but it looks like the 5 watt head is at least mostly tube. It's got two tubes which for such a low wattage suggests tube in the preamp and tube in the poweramp stages. I'm definitely not an expert, though.

I'm getting tired of saying this - no it isn't. It has a heap of op-amps in the preamp and a transistorised phase inverter. There are tubes in both preamp and power amp but there is also SS in both as well. That makes both sections hybrid.

The Silver Jubilee had clipping diodes but you could switch them out of the circuit. It didn't have a heap of op-amps doing amplification. There is no way to run a HT-5 that doesn't involve solid state amplification and a lot of it. It is a hybrid no matter what switches you throw, therefore it is totally hybrid.
There is no grey area here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jjbarnes

I know you were trying, but c'mon... Why bother posting this when you know damn well someone will come behind and tell you its nonsense. You can't just look at the features of an amp and tell what's going on in the circuit.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Cathbard
I'm getting tired of saying this - no it isn't. It has a heap of op-amps in the preamp and a transistorised phase inverter. There are tubes in both preamp and power amp but there is also SS in both as well. That makes both sections hybrid.

The Silver Jubilee had clipping diodes but you could switch them out of the circuit. It didn't have a heap of op-amps doing amplification. There is no way to run a HT-5 that doesn't involve solid state amplification and a lot of it. It is a hybrid no matter what switches you throw, therefore it is totally hybrid.

+1

also agree with 311's saying that if you like its tone, then buy it. but it's not pure tube, or all-tube, or "nearly all-tube" or whatever its apologists call it this week. IIRC from the reverse-engineered schematic, there are at least as many op-amp gain and clipping stages as tube. Plus a transistor-based PI.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 30, 2011,
I read that it just comes with tubes so you have spares for your real tube amps.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Cathbard

Thanks for the info. I figured with only two valves in total it wasn't a our valve amp by any means - especially with so much gain on tap. A SS phase inverter plus a large proportion of the tone = hybrid. Doesn't make it a bad amp automatically, but it's a hybrid.

The Jube was just an example that tube snobbery for the sake of it is dumb. I don't like the HT or indeed anything I've played from Blackstar; it just has this odd edge to it I don't like.
When you switch in the clipping diodes in a jubilee it has an odd edge to it too. They sound great otherwise. If I owned a Jubilee I'd mod the crap out of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
haha ok thanks guys, like I said I'm just curious, I'm not intending on getting a Blackstar, but I like to know how things work
Fender > Gibson

Who Said That?!
i am sooooooo glad i read this....seriously walked into my music store today and almost ordered the hundred watt version because the guy at the music store was sellin it so good. he argued that they were like cheaper marshalls or oranges, but with better quality control then marshall. he didnt mention the clipping diodes tho....i literally told him that i almost traded my mig-100h for a jcm900 until i found out it had that shit in it, he still didnt even bring that up about the HT.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried out a ht5 the other day. Cleans are nice, lead tones are nice for metal but general rhythm playing of any sort on the ht5 sounds like shit
I picked up an HT5 head for under $200 on ebay a few weeks ago. Plugged into my 1960A stack it has pretty good sound to my ear. It won't touch the Marshall 6100LM I normally run, but it certainly isn't a bad little amp for the price. I have heard it with the Blackstar 1x12 cab and didn't think it sounded nearly as good. I don't really care if it has some solid state circuitry so long as it sound decent. It's a budget amp and I don't expect it to sound like a Mesa.
Quote by kyle62
I very much doubt it.

Well i would hope not for the cash. I wouldnt mind getting one but im kinda poor.

Better start saving those pennies
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'll just start by saying that if you like the tone then buy one.

HT-5

HT40

not sure which one this is - random internet pic

Can't tell from these pictures whether there is silicon in the signal chain. most of those are Vregs and switching by the looks of them.
Worth having a look at a JVM gut shot if you like looking at chips though

I must say though I have no complaints with the HT100 whatever it's made out of. the tone is a lot less 'fizzy' in hi gain settings compared to my compadres JVM and generally sounds better across the board (note: it is opinion only).
He hasn't changed the stock tubes out of the marshall yet and when he can afford it I'm sure it'll be on a par or better than my HT - until then, for straight out the box goodness, low price and cheap maintenance I would go HT60> all the way.
Jackson DK2M
Jackson DKMG (81/85)
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960a
Boss GT-8 4cm
Quote by LivinJoke84
Are the Series One hybrids too?

Anyone?

Not that I'd know and they absolutely don't sound like it.

A friend of mine has one.
It's kind of like a multi-channel JCM800 with many more features.
VERY Marshall-sounding, doesn't sound so damn compressed like the HT-series and has a more organic tone overall.
Cuts through a live mix like a boss too.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Not that I'd know and they absolutely don't sound like it.

A friend of mine has one.
It's kind of like a multi-channel JCM800 with many more features.
VERY Marshall-sounding, doesn't sound so damn compressed like the HT-series and has a more organic tone overall.
Cuts through a live mix like a boss too.

Cool. Ive got a HT5 combo which im happy with for practice, i know a lot of people on here dont like them but im happy with mine.

I like the fact that you can dial down the Series One 50w to 5w so can be used for practice and destroying eardrums a-like!
Quote by jonnobright
Can't tell from these pictures whether there is silicon in the signal chain. most of those are Vregs and switching by the looks of them.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2426368-Blackstar-HT-5-Schematic

post #7
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?