I have one main niche covered particularly well, but now I am looking into saving up for a more modern and high gain sort of sound. The sound I'm thinking isn't really metal per se. It's more of a really aggressive rock sound with a tight bottom end, nice midrange content that is neither scooped nor nasally, and cutting detailed high end that isn't overly harsh and abrasive. It would be nice if it had a clean channel that was warm and sparkly without suffering from the sterile feel that high gain amp cleans can have. I would be using it to gig and record with. I don't care if it's a combo or head+cab format. I don't care if it is used or brand new so long as I can find it in good working condition. I would say I don't necessarily care about budget, but I'm really only willing to save up to so much so...say $1,500 tops and the lower the better.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
i'd definitely recommend the blackstar ht100 for that sort of thing. real nice tones coming out of that thing and very versatile.

blackstar ht100
jet city jca 100 hem
carvin v3m
try a 5150 III 50 watt head when you have a chance.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Egnater Renegade
Egnater Vengeance
EVH 5150 III
Splawn Quick Rod

good to see you again

Edit:
there is some yummy stuff on the Atlanta Craigslist. How far are you away from Atalanta?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 30, 2011,
Haha, thanks. All these suggestions from everybody sounds really interesting. Eh, I'm about three and half to four hours away from Atlanta. I do have family that lives closer though, so it wouldn't be unfeasible. The 5150 style gain usually isn't my bag unless I'm playing metal, but it's a pretty standard tone. The Jet City and Egnater stuff looks interesting, but I can't find either one to try out. Keep in mind that I enjoy high gain sounds and heavy music, but I'm not a gain freak and I don't enjoy oversaturated tones.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
Haha, thanks. All these suggestions from everybody sounds really interesting. Eh, I'm about three and half to four hours away from Atlanta. I do have family that lives closer though, so it wouldn't be unfeasible. The 5150 style gain usually isn't my bag unless I'm playing metal, but it's a pretty standard tone. The Jet City and Egnater stuff looks interesting, but I can't find either one to try out. Keep in mind that I enjoy high gain sounds and heavy music, but I'm not a gain freak and I don't enjoy oversaturated tones.

Do you mean the new 5150's or the old 5150's? I feel like there are a bit of a difference and the new 5150 III's fit your description.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Maybe check out a carvin legacy. It is kind of like a hot rodded jcm900 in terms of gain, and has one of the best clean channels I've ever heard. Or the amp I own Laney VH100R is amazing for gain and clean, the od on it is one of the best I've heard also.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
There's a BIG BIG difference between the EVH 5150 III and the Peavey 5150/6505.

I'd check out the ENGL Blackmore, Fireball, Mesa Tremoverb, and the Baron K88 or a B series.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Not blackstar.

I'll just add the Laney VC50.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Egnater Renegade
Egnater Vengeance

EVH 5150 III
Splawn Quick Rod

Edit:
there is some yummy stuff on the Atlanta Hotlanta Craigslist.

+311

Also, check out the MB Tremoverb, Soldano HotRod, and Orange Rockerverb 100.
^ Hey now. Have you played either of those? I think they would be a great fit for this:

Quote by sg4ever
... more modern and high gain sort of sound. The sound I'm thinking isn't really metal per se. It's more of a really aggressive rock sound with a tight bottom end, nice midrange content that is neither scooped nor nasally, and cutting detailed high end that isn't overly harsh and abrasive. It would be nice if it had a clean channel that was warm and sparkly without suffering from the sterile feel that high gain amp cleans can have.

The Tremoverb, Hot Rod and Rockerverb are all great suggestions though.

any of this catch your fancy?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=600&maxAsk=1500

There is a Marshall Vintage/Modern, TSL, Crate Blue Voodoo, Fender SuperSonic, Blackstar HT-100, 5150, Blackheart BH100, Orange AD30, Carvin V3, 6505+ full stack, Egnater 212 combo, Mesa F50, Splawn Quick Rod......hell just get that Quick Rod. Not the sparklyist cleans in the world but doable. Everything else about it will rip new ones.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2713313991.html

this would be fun too but probably not very modern sounding:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/msg/2741081784.html
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 30, 2011,
+ 1 to each the carvin legacy and the blue voodoo.
the legacy has the most delicious cleans and a great gain channel and as a blue voodoo owner i will always stand by my amp. its great it just needs some dialing in done and an eq pedal and it will treat you well. all around great cheap tube amp.

egnater tourmasters are pretty sweet as well.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ Hey now. Have you played either of those? I think they would be a great fit ...

The Tremoverb, Hot Rod and Rockerverb are all great suggestions though. ...

Yea, I used an acquaintance's 5150 III half stack for almost a day in practice. That beast can cut through the mix no matter how you dial it. And I'm on my 2nd QuickRod, foo.

oh snap.

+1 on the Hot Rod, you see them for around a grand pretty often now.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
a used engl invader bitches!!!
or save 700$ more and get an axe fx
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Save a little extra and get a Dual Rectifier from Mesa imo. One of the most versatile rock amps I've heard, and they have nice cleans when dialed in properly. That'd be over $2,000 new if you don't already have a cab though, but the heads do sell used for closer to $1,000.
Quote by Ippon
Yea, I used an acquaintance's 5150 III half stack for almost a day in practice. That beast can cut through the mix no matter how you dial it. And I'm on my 2nd QuickRod, foo.

I think he meant have you played either of the egnaters
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Ippon

No dude. The two amps you crossed out
I'm pretty interested in the Tremoverb. It seems like more of a rock amp that can do metal if it wants to, as opposed to the typically massive (and a bit saggy) lowend and saturation of a typical Dual Rectifier. The cleans seem none too shabby as well.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Carvin x100b not the most modern sounding amp but it sounds great boosted I prefer it for playing most metalcore stuff over the 6505+ I have.
Carvin v3
Traynor YCV50 (i think thats the right suffix)
Engl Savage < Preference thing you may end up loving it
Used Mesa Mark III/IV (not sure on prices)

And also a lot of the other amps listed previously ^.^
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by jpatan
I think he meant have you played either of the egnaters
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
No dude. The two amps you crossed out

Yea ... I've tried the Renegade at length and the Vengeance for about 30 minutes but both didn't really do anything for me ... preference, etc.; so, I couldn't recommend them and crossed them out. Mind you, I have the TourMaster but didn't recommend it either.

For high gain at a $1500 budget, I could only go with:
* EVH 5150 III
* Splawn Quick Rod
* MB Tremoverb
* Soldano HotRod, and
* Orange Rockerverb 100

I'd even prefer the Laney VH100R over the Egnater ... again preference. For an additional $500, I'd look at some Bogners and for $1000 more, some Diezels.