Hey guys,

I recently had all my pedals stolen. Which was a crushing blow. But now that the insurance is settled there's a nice big cheque on it's way out to me. I'm considering buying a multi effects unit I'd always talked about going digital. I'm think of either the POD HD500 of the BOSS GT-10.

I know for a fact that there will be people on here who swing in favour of both of these. So could we please discuss this. I need to know what people consider to be the best and why. right now my mind is going towards the HD500. Because of it's assignable effects loops and good overdrive tones.

I play predominantly Metal however need the unit to be versatile enough to cover any and all styles of music that are thrown at me. I have several guitars all with different qualities I need the unit to be able to handle all options. I also need the unit to have good amp modelling. I have a peavey bandit (which is amazing) But is in storage 50 miles away so getting to it is a pain. I use the effects loop on this amp and I know that both of these units support the 4 cable method of connectivity.

Please help I'm torn between these. I Want to make sure that I get the best out of the money I spent. I've been an analogue effects purist for about 5 years. used almost exclusively MXR effects pedals. I don't want to compromise my sound too much.

thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Al Douglas
From personal experience, I think the boss's overall effects sound better, but the pod's amp modeling and distortion are more convincing. So for practical use the pod would be the better choice for you.

But this was my suggestion to someone else who had the same question, and you being an analog person I think this would be the best option for you.

"One of the best sounding multi effects I've heard for under $500 is the TC Electronic Nova System. The overdrive is analog and sounds very similar to a fulltone ocd. Even though the delays are digital they are one of the things TC is known for, they sound amazing. It maybe has less effects than the units you are looking at, but the quality of the effects on there are amazing and I personally think they sound much better. The only thing its missing is a heavy distortion, but you can get the Nova System for $300 on ebay and spend what you save on a good distortion pedal, and then you have everything you need right there."
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Dec 30, 2011,
yh guitarguy chris nailed it - line6's amp modelling blows anything BOSS made out of the water - but the effects aren't as good - although i'm basing this on the previous generation of PODs (pre the HD moddelers came out) - now the effects modelling is supposed to be top notch as well, so go for the POD
Hey guys thanks a bunch. I think I'm going to go for the POD HD 500. I had a shot in the shop and I enjoyed playing with all the toys on board. The effects sounded great. I've never been a fan of boss effects. I've always found that their multi effects cosm system over powers your tone with the effect.

Well I'll leave the thread open for discussion I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a bad experience of either.
HD500, no contest. It has all the effects the M13 has, plus great amp modeling.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The only thing better than the POD HD series right now, is the Axe FX, which is a lot more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Aye one of my mates told me to get a fractal.. I was like... would love to but don't have a spare two grand... what are they all about...
Quote by MatrixClaw
The only thing better than the POD HD series right now, is the Axe FX, which is a lot more.

TC Electronic G System also, but again thats way more expensive.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
For amp modelling, and floor effects, HD500 for sure.

The next level up is the Avid Eleven Rack whoch is 800-1000$ and is a rack based unti with even better amp modelling.

After that your in the axe fx range.
Quote by guitarguychris1
TC Electronic G System also, but again thats way more expensive.

The G-System doesn't have amp modeling.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com