Hey everyone, I was told this was a pretty awesome forum so I was hoping you guys could help me out. I'm a beginner (still taking lessons) but there are two sounds I wanna try and get out of my guitar, and I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting it with the equipment I've got so far. With that said here go two videos that pretty much nail them:

#1. http://youtu.be/kcvGiM2hYLE

#2. http://youtu.be/QSU3PWnDF9k

I'm working with the following:

Guitar: Ibanez Prestige RG3770Z http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss319/supersonic215/Ibanez.jpg

Amp: Line 6 Spider IV 75 (don't have a picture on me at the moment)

Effects: MXR Distortion +, Boss DD-3 Digital Delay http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss319/supersonic215/Effects.jpg

Do I have what I need? Am I just tweaking the settings wrong? Or am I missing any particular effects (or maybe I just need better ones =D) I'm open to any and all suggestions. As I said, I'm a beginner, so the stuff being played is out of my league right now, but I'm working hard and while I know it won't be easy I hope I can get to that level someday soon =) Thanks!
yeah, a new amp will help.

however, you should be able to get close enough with what you already have. bear in mind that that guy you linked to appears to be a pretty decent player, a lot of it is in how you play, too (since you said you were a beginner).

first one sounds like neck pickup (i didn't listen to teh whole thing, just the first bit). second one (again, didn't listen to teh whole thing, just teh first bit) sounds like bridge pickup.

what all amp models do you have on your line 6 spider?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 30, 2011,
Wish the killer is right. Your guitar is great for that kind of stuff but the line 6 has gotta go. Especially the spider series sounds very digital and sterile.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
You're going to catch a lot of crap because of your amp, but while it most likely won't give you those exact sounds, it can be tweaked enough to at least approximate them.

Read the manual.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^

though if you're only a beginner, if the manual tells you "this model approximates an 80s marshall" that probably isn't going to help you all that much

for the first one i'd use the jcm 800 model (if it has enough gain) and for the second i'd probably use the recto or 5150 model (if it has one).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the help so far! I'm not at the house right now so I don't have access to the manual. What I do know is that it has like 300 some odd "presets" based on artists and songs... not sure if that's all marketing fluff or not, but it's obviously been a chore trying to go through everything... there's also a dial on the side that looks like this:

More info on the amp can be found here for whoever feels like digging any deeper: http://www.amazon.com/Line-Spider-IV-75-Amplifier/dp/B002GYWBJ6

But if a better amp is what it'll take then I'm all for it =). Not sure what you guys would recommend, though. Any other suggestions besides amps would be great too
ok i'm looking at the manual now on the spider site

yeah probably avoid the presets

in manual mode (it should tell you in the manual how to get to manual mode), for the first one i'd set it to high gain red (supposedly a hot rodded marshall plexi). for teh second i'd set it to either metal red (recto) or high gain green (diezel herbert).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You jackasses moaning about the spider - it's a perfectly good beginner/practice amp. Enough of the bandwagon snobbery.

I'm on my phone so I can't be arsed watching those YouTube videos....can you describe the sort of tone you want?
yeah one is sort of your usual smooth high gain type of lead tone (that reminds me, some delay on it would probably help, too) and the other is your usual modern high gain rhythm type of tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?