so i have a vox ac15c1, an epiphone dot, and now i need some effects. im going for angels and airwaves/blink sound, so i didnt know what pedal would be best for my amp, i was thinking the pod plus, or maybe a tonelab? idk really, my budget is about 200, so if you have any advice, id appreciate it
Quote by greenday4u
so i have a vox ac15c1, an epiphone dot, and now i need some effects.

this is far from an ideal setup for an extensive effects chain. the lack of an effects loop will limit many effects performance (things like chorus will sound very clunky before a dirty preamp). the smaller power stage is not the cleanest platform for more delicate effects either, EL84's tend to make effects like reverb loss it's more brittle textures.

for something like an AC15, with a push/pull set of EL84's in the power stage, your best sounding effects will most likely be distortion style effects (OD, boost, fuzz, etc), wah effects, and maybe some delay.

this is not to say that effects like chorus or reverb will be completely unusable, it is just that those effects tend to have a harder time sounding 'better' on such setups and tend to sound better the cleaner you run your amp (which limits your volume output immensely on lower powered setups)

Quote by greenday4u
im going for angels and airwaves/blink sound, so i didnt know what pedal would be best for my amp, i was thinking the pod plus, or maybe a tonelab?

i only really think of 'distortion' tones with those bands. i'd take your amp to a guitar center or sam ash (some chain store) and try a number of pedals out with your amp. i don't think a multi effects would be that necessary for those tones, but find out for yourself.

if you care to form more of your own opinion, then i'd try a ibanez TS-9, boss DS-1, Fulltone OCD, Ratt ProCo, some digitech hardwire pedals (or the bad monkey), and whatever else they have sitting around. compare them against the Pod and boss multi effects.

the pros and cons for multi effects and pedals is pretty extensive, but when attempting a fairly straight forward tone like blink it will be much simpler to use a single distortion pedal. a multi effects will have much more versatility, but it also has much more overhead. for example, a multi effects won't usually just use a 'distortion' effect for it's distortion patches; they will use compression, EQ, maybe boost, probably a little reverb, and prob other stuff too. it can get annoying trying to tweak this more complex setups to get 'your tone', while a 3 knob pedal can be set and adjusted pretty quick.

if you were going for more of a petrucci, vai, or VH tone then a multi effects will get you there more effectively. as it stands, it sounds like a simple distortion effect pedal will get you where you need to be.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae