hey all,

just looking for some opinions or suggestions here and Im a new member here so please excuse my ignorance.

I have owned a Fernando acoustic guitar (a local guitar brand here in the Philippines) for 4 years now and Im self taught, but I'm not really that good yet. which means i don't really know how to tell if the sound is very good or not.

i've been wanting to buy a new acoustic/electric guitar for quite sometime and researching for quite a while now (2 months?). and I've narrowed it down to three. Ibanez AEL series, Takamine EG340C and Ovation's Celebrity series. Just wanted to know which one is better.

Actually, I'd really prefer a dreadnought style. I just put the Ovation there coz its right in my price budget and I know its a big name in the industry.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. i'd really appreciate some opinions or suggestions. ^_^
Last edited by theallspark12 at Dec 30, 2011,
unplugged the celebrity is kinda tinny. there are some mid depth celebritys out there. plugged in the celebrity shines. most of the thin bodied ones are thin unplugged( they're designed to be amped) i have 2 celebritys, love em both, but i have 9 other deep or mid ovations- nice deeper tone and projection unplugged, indestructible.. with the humidity levels you have at home, that'd be your best choice i think. all are solid tops... a big plus. unplugged, i would probably go with the tak( if not for the excessive humidity), plugged in definitely the ovation, depends on how you play it most. from the onset the ovations are engineered to be plugged in but my mid and deep bowls still sound great unplugged( still prefer them to my other ones that cost 10 times as much) celebrity gc057M middepth? best of both worlds, hard to find tho( there is one going on ebay right now for 250. with case)
wow. thanks a lot for the reply there. got me thinking. I don't really play that much plugged in. just hobby playing and hoping to be (fingers crossed), a solo artist one day. and i know that the ovation's electronics can be replaced with ovation's iDea, looks the same but it just comes with an mp3 player and recorder so you can record anytime a lyric comes to your mind.

the weather here is not all bad for a guitar, since i keep it in my room.
Kamusta :P

From what I've heard others, ovations are the best electro-acoustics when plugged so I'd go with that.

Oyeah... The weather there is pretty bad for a guitar, it is sooo humid and hot. I wouldn't go out with it if I were you :P.
depending on the music im playing at the time, i usually choose my 1778T or 2078LX over my much more expensive taylor K10ce. just more enjoyable to play,deep tone. much more comfortable to play sitting down than a flatback guitar. dont have the upper edge digging into my chest. your not gonna be standing for hours hobby playing. larger people find the ovations uncomfortable to play but if your not overweight or are more physically fit, the O's are much easier to play for hours. most of the celebrity's wont accept the idea preamp, different shape. anything with the op-pro style preamp will work. i have 2 ideas and they are handy as hell ! you'll definitely enjoy the mid depth much more than the shallow bowl ones and the mids will accept the idea preamp.
I own 4 ovations and 1 Takamine. I played the Takamine in the upper peninsula of Michigan(it was really cold and dry), we left there and went to Vicksburg, Mississippi and played in a riverboat(warm and humid), left there and went back up north to Mahnomen , Minnesota(REALLY cold and dry). The neck on the Takamine stayed perfect and sounded great through the 9 weeks we played. Truthfully, the Ovations are meant to be play plugged in, but acoustically my Takamine really doesn't stand up to a Martin. What I'm trying to say is if you're going to play plugged in and you're thin buy an Ovation, If you have a gut buy a contour body Ovation(that's gonna cost ya) or get the Takamine. They're made by the same company(Fender now), but if you can find an older one they're both made by Kaman and the preamps rock they sound as good and sometimes better that guitars that cost 2 or 3 times as much. For the money you picked the best guitars. It's up to you. Whatever feels best and the one you know you will want to play for hours.
Last edited by mymartind35 at Dec 30, 2011,
your 1778T has a much deeper voice than one of those shallow bowl celebrities.

Quote by stepchildusmc
depending on the music im playing at the time, i usually choose my 1778T or 2078LX over my much more expensive taylor K10ce. just more enjoyable to play,deep tone. much more comfortable to play sitting down than a flatback guitar. dont have the upper edge digging into my chest. your not gonna be standing for hours hobby playing. larger people find the ovations uncomfortable to play but if your not overweight or are more physically fit, the O's are much easier to play for hours. most of the celebrity's wont accept the idea preamp, different shape. anything with the op-pro style preamp will work. i have 2 ideas and they are handy as hell ! you'll definitely enjoy the mid depth much more than the shallow bowl ones and the mids will accept the idea preamp.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
yep patti, thats what i'm tryin to tell him. he'd be happier with a deeper bowl than the cheaper shallow.
hey guys! read all your comments and i really appreciate them thank you very much.

so i went with the Tak EG340C. and I'm really lovin it! i just thought you should know.
not a bad choice. it woulda been my first of the 3, the ovation being second and the alv a very distant third. nut me? i live in NY so no humidity issues. gonna hafta post some pics of your new baby !!!!
I don't know about the Ovation's sound, but i wouldn't pick it because it's so damn ugly (Don't get me wrong! Sound means ALMOST everything to me, but that roundback thing just never made me fall in love with it).. I've tried almost all the Ibanez AEL series guitars, before ending up with a Takamine EG-341SC..

GOD i love Taks!
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..