So what's the big difference between an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (except for the top of course).

I can't find any differences except for the fact that the plus top is better looking, but the plain top is about 95$ cheaper ?!?
I think you just answered your own question.

As far as I know the plus top has a flame maple veneer while the plain doesn't
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
So that's the only reason that it costs 95$ more? And what does that "flame" top even mean? Is it the fact that you can see the wood texture better?
flame maple has a nicer texture to it which shows through the finish and gives it a nice looking effect. plain maple has a flat, dull look to it and is usually used on guitars finished with a solid colour. the rest of the guitar is the same.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Come on. Flame maple top= Brighter, cleaner, thicker sound, with of course better looks. It is worth 95 $, but instead id buy the standard and add dimarzio or seymour duncan pickups. But if you ask me, epiphone les paul axess is better, because it has a floyd rose special, so you wont have to deal with bad bridge&tailpiece, shitty tuners and damn ****ing worse nut ever. Floyd rose special fixes it for you. change the pickups, and go on.

But, note that epiphone is %100 shit, doesn't worth bothering. LTD is even better.
Quote by cemges
Come on. Flame maple top= Brighter, cleaner, thicker sound, with of course better looks. It is worth 95 $, but instead id buy the standard and add dimarzio or seymour duncan pickups. But if you ask me, epiphone les paul axess is better, because it has a floyd rose special, so you wont have to deal with bad bridge&tailpiece, shitty tuners and damn ****ing worse nut ever. Floyd rose special fixes it for you. change the pickups, and go on.

But, note that epiphone is %100 shit, doesn't worth bothering. LTD is even better.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I just said maple top gives bright, clean and thick tones, and epiphone makes shitty hardwar without respect to the customer. And kid, how they poisoned your brain, that you become such a big shame. Stay away from bible, seriously. Religious people: always say ''racist, incorehent, and god have mercy on your soul''. Come on now, who believes a story made 2000 years ago? Please leave such things in 2011 and purify while getting into 2012
i think i have a facepalm bruise on my forehead
Quote by stepchildusmc
Wow. Somebody needs to put down the bong and go watch Billy Madison.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Quote by cemges
I just said maple top gives bright, clean and thick tones, and epiphone makes shitty hardwar without respect to the customer. And kid, how they poisoned your brain, that you become such a big shame. Stay away from bible, seriously. Religious people: always say ''racist, incorehent, and god have mercy on your soul''. Come on now, who believes a story made 2000 years ago? Please leave such things in 2011 and purify while getting into 2012

Troll.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 30, 2011,
I just realized, thick may not be the word i was watching for. Whatever. Maple top makes a guitar sound brighter. And epiphone hardware is bad. That's all.
Epiphone hardware is actually a lot better than other guitars for the same amount of money.

Locking TOM and talipiece
Graphite nut
Grover tuners
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Epiphone hardware is actually a lot better than other guitars for the same amount of money.

Locking TOM and talipiece
Graphite nut
Grover tuners

don't feed the trolls
Quote by stepchildusmc
Idk why anyone would want to troll on something so dumb as what hardware an Epiphone has. So i took it he was serious.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ok, just be serious for a minute.

Is Epiphone a good and reliable brand, when it comes to durability and quality of their products? Because I'm basically looking for a guitar that'll last me pretty much my whole life. I also don't plan on changing any hardware on it, since I don't have the time nor the money to do so.

I was first looking at a Yamaha 112V, but I like the fuller, warmer sound of the Epiphone a lot more, and I really want a guitar that's a level higher than a "good starter guitar".

At the moment I'm just starting to play some (simple) songs on my acoustic, but I'm planning on buying an electric this summer.

Is the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top a good guitar for blues, classic rock and hardrock? I really like things like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brwc-RnuaCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X3CLOYdWhk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQTZKdovgA&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEAet5vK4UE&feature=plcp&context=C30f6268UDOEgsToPDskI634vDShMzph905mGkHi6S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr8MWqx6EY0&feature=plcp&context=C3ee044eUDOEgsToPDskIFuqrs3wUpURo8dyKafejv

just to give you an idea
My old Epi Les paul standard was great, got rid of it cause i wanted something different, had great hardware, no problems at all.

Now to the topic, since its just a epi the top is just a veneer, so the tone wont be much different from the non flame top. Only with you get to the higher grade guitars does the flamed maple top make a difference as they are a thick piece of wood on top of what ever thetype the rest is made of(typically, the top are 1/2 in. to 3/4,) Thats when the sound is different. So with that guitar its just for show, if you like the look better witht he flame top then spend the extra moolaa on it.

And YES it would be a great guitar for what you want.
Agile AL-3110 Tiger Eye
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star Snow Leopard
Schecter C-1 Classic Blue
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser T-O-M BC
LTD EC-1000 Bright Blue Flame
Bugera 333xl
Laney GH-100L
Laney LC30-II 112
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Genz Benz G-Flex 412
Last edited by The_Sh0T at Dec 30, 2011,
What Epiphone and PRS SE's do is they put a plain maple cap on top of the mahogany back and have the flame maple veneer on top of that maple cap. So you have the look and the tone of the full maple cap and be able to keep the cost of the guitar down.

Epi LP standards are nicely constructed guitars and have good hardware, but the pickups could do with being changed. Some of them play beautifully but others don't. I'd try before you buy.

They're very versatile guitars. But the pickups are the guitar's shortfall. They're a bit too dark sounding. They sound awesome with appropriate replacement pups though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 30, 2011,
With epiphone electric guitars i'd say 4/5 times you won't have any issues with them. If you're new to playing electric that's more like 19/20 times you won't have any issues with them. It's only people who are used to really high end guitars that notice the small things which reflect the price of the epiphones, like the pickups, the wood, and to a lesser extent the hardware. I've never been a fan of the epiphone bridges. I have to tune my les paul custom ever so slightly every time i pick it up.

Epiphone is made by gibson. They make entry level, imitation gibsons. but at least they're owned and governed by the real deal. You'll get a lot of people coming in and saying epiphone is shit, and then they'll tell you to buy an agile which ironically are made in the same factory as epiphones were before they opened an epiphone-only factory.

As long as you're happy with how the guitar feels, and you're nice to it, an epiphone will last you a long time. It will never appreciate in value, but that doesn't make it a bad guitar, it just means its not a collectors item.
Quote by stepchildusmc
^ no wonder those Agiles look almost exactly like the Epiphones! I got a few recommendations to buy Agiles on line but I'm not very comfortable without trying it out.
Quote by You Ruined It
^ no wonder those Agiles look almost exactly like the Epiphones! I got a few recommendations to buy Agiles on line but I'm not very comfortable without trying it out.

NOT ONLY as Mike Oxbig says are Agiles made in the same Factory in Korea that Epiphones were made, but, I've been told that they are cut on the same machine as the Epiphones were cut, which is a machine Identical to the machine Gibson uses in Memphis...

I bought an Agile AL-2500 with a Bigsby, used from Craigs List for $285.00 with a hard shell case a few weeks ago... I've owned a couple Gibsons, and a lot of epiphones and the Agile, while not a Gibson, in a lot of ways is better than my Epiphones.

Just more fuel for the fire...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I guess I could spring for a model that's comparable to an LP, but I'll wait until it pops up on craigslist
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What Epiphone and PRS SE's do is they put a plain maple cap on top of the mahogany back and have the flame maple veneer on top of that maple cap. So you have the look and the tone of the full maple cap and be able to keep the cost of the guitar down.

Most companies do this. Big name brands aren't going to go out and buy a chunk of flamed maple for a $500 guitar, they won't make much of a profit.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Epiphone LP standard is much more a low-mid range guitar, yes it is nice for what you want. But i mean, it is not something that will last too long without any change. I recommend floyd rose version, cause at that range, any fixed bridge guitar has bad hardware. So locking option would be good if you don't even use trem. Of course it has handycap of not being able to easily drop tune, but trem is good. Maybe if you get a good amp/pedal setup it would be good.
But whenever i took and epiphone in hand, it was always a dissappointment, it has so low quality. So if you think of buying one, at least you gotta be planning to change something after a while. Maybe SD pickups, or tonepros hardware. I'd get a higher end epiphone to be honest.
But actually, i think if you simply change the nut, which is very cheap, and some locking tuners like planet waves, you won't be having problems with tuning.

So simply, but the standard, and use te 95$ difference to get locking tuners and a better nut. I recommend graphite one. But in long term, after 2-3 years, i'd definetly change pickups.
Last edited by cemges at Dec 31, 2011,
I've found another one I really like: the Epiphone Les Paul Plustop PRO/FX, it's around 600$ here. Any thoughts on that one? It seems to have a lot more pickup selections because of the coil-splitting option, the straplocks seem to be better quality, and it has a locking tremolo.

This isn't a limited edition is it? Because I've found one site that said " PRO/FX Limited Edition", and I can't buy it until this summer
Last edited by Kristof_EG at Jan 1, 2012,
No idea...I can only find it on Gibson's site...I did see an Epi LP Traditional Pro at my local GC that had coil taps though. I liked the guitar a lot.
FX one is the one i talked about. It is very good guitar. But know one thing, whenever you buy a humbucker guitar, get a coil tap. It is maximum 20$.
Quote by cemges
FX one is the one i talked about. It is very good guitar. But know one thing, whenever you buy a humbucker guitar, get a coil tap. It is maximum 20$.

So there's more than one version of the LP Plus Top Pro/FX? Maybe the FX one has stopped and now they've introduced the FX 2?

The Epiphone website has an article about the launch of this guitar (http://www.epiphone.com/News-Features/News/2010/Introducing-Les-Paul-PlusTop-PRO-FX.aspx but it dates back to march 2010, and there's nothing about it being a limited edition. God I hope so ...

And it comes with a coil tap, on both humbuckers. I really like this guitar, so I just hope it will still be for sale this summer
There was epipone access standard, copy of the gibson one. Nearly the same with plus top pro fx.
Quote by cemges

Does it really cost just 20 bucks to install coil taps? I'd imagine like 50....