Page 1 of 2
Not many unless your incredibly talented and very lucky.

Get a proper education.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
you know you can be a guitarist AND go to school.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Jordan5150
I keep getting nailed with "where are you going to college" and "what are you gonna do"

Sweet that actually works???

BRB getting nailed
Quote by Jordan5150
I keep getting nailed
teehee

But honestly, go to college and you could become a producer/session musician.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Erm. Any job ever, as long as you have the qualifications..? Unless you're one of those people that likes to point out they play guitar and has to do something guitar related.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Being a guitar player or any kind of musician is not like that. Orchestral musicians are the closest thing to a "regular" job in that their work is contracted, salaried, through a union, and a salary decent enough to have a big house, a nice car and all that other stuff

Working as a musician is a lot like being a freelance business person, and your product is your talent. "Jobs" include pit gigs, gigs with large local bands, clubs, festivals, teaching masterclasses, teaching lessons, playing parties (of a variety of sizes and types) etc. Seeing as this is what I do, I can talk a little more if you have more specific questions, but your basically asking "how do I become an astronaut"

PS, if you dont get into a conservatory level school, dont bother going to college for music. Get a business degree or some shit and play gigs on the side
Last edited by chantastic at Dec 30, 2011,
I'm a guitarist and I fix airplanes. Apparently assholes can do both.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
I'm a guitarist and I fix airplanes. Apparently assholes can do both.

My asshole can smoke cigars and chew bubble gum
Quote by chantastic
My asshole can smoke cigars and chew bubble gum

Well whoop de doo.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Assholes are jacks of all trades, apparently.

My guitar teacher got a degree in classical guitar and teaching, and taught private lessons, worked at a Sam Ash and played with a band when he could. Now he works at a local music store where he teaches and kind of doubles as a repairman and clerk when they need him to, he makes pretty good money, too.

Or you could go to parking lots at concerts before and after the shows, I know a guy in Philly who does it at every concert at the Tower Theater and makes at least $250 a night. More if it's a friendlier scene, like a jam band. I couldn't see anyone doing that full time like this dude, but doing it once in a while is good way to score extra money, especially if you're really,really good. This guy is mediocre at best, and makes $250 a night.... imagine if you're awesome, you could be rich hahahaha.
Quote by Jordan5150
I keep getting nailed with "where are you going to college" and "what are you gonna do" all that BS

Yeah, screw planning for your life and trying to figure out what you want to do for the next half century.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Not many unless your incredibly talented and very lucky.

Get a proper education.

Ignore this guy, he's clueless and rude.

Heres a list:
Recording artist
touring musician
Hired touring musician (playing for a band your not permanently in)
Session musician
Library musician (making mall bits of music that people can buy for films, adverts etc)
busking (can work very well if you are good and in the right place)
theatre musician (can pay very well)
song writer / composer (could be for pop stars, films, video games, churches, all sorts)
teaching (a very rewarding job you can do between the more exciting stuff)
guitar tech
join a house band (could be for a pub, tv show like strictly come dancing, chat show, studio... all sorts)
orchestra
tour doing clinics (Steve Vie does this a lot, as do many others)
Tribute/ covers band (good ones can earn very good fees and big crowds)
Working in a guitar store
Advisor to other musicians

And one of the biggest beauty's is you don't just have to do one, keep an open mind and you may even end up doing them all at some point.

But a lot of these will require being able to sight read really well. Just a pointer.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by wyldething
Yeah, screw planning for your life and trying to figure out what you want to do for the next half century.

You know, surprisingly enough some people don't actually like to have their life drawn out in front of them. Just saying.
Relying on the chance of getting a job as a guitarist is stupid, particularly in this economy. Do a proper degree and play guitar in your own spare time; if you're talented enough it'll be possible to do guitar things without a degree.
Quote by Basti95
You know, surprisingly enough some people don't actually like to have their life drawn out in front of them. Just saying.

That's all well and good, but I would hardly call those kind of questions "BS".
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
^ I agree.

EDIT: FUCKING PAGE BREAK

Quote by Pagan-Pie
Relying on the chance of getting a job as a guitarist is stupid, particularly in this economy. Do a proper degree and play guitar in your own spare time; if you're talented enough it'll be possible to do guitar things without a degree.

Why do people say this? Its dumb and wrong.

Why should the thing he wants to do most get pushed the side?

Every single person, what ever is they want to do, should put the thing they want most first.

I dont think any one on this forum has the right to say what he can and cant do, or tell him to push his goals aside.

And I'm not just saying this btw, I know what I am talking about.

And to the TS, I studied at the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance, which is the kind of place I would recommend to you, but its in England. I know the musicians institute is very similar (and actually looks better to me from their website). Doing a 1 year course in guitar like I did could help mega time.
blow jobs

selling coke that is
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by jkielq91

lolOK.

I really really want to bone Olivia Wilde, but I'll be damned if I'm going to try to make it happen because it's really not likely to happen. Other people will succeed, and good for them. For me though, it's just not feasible.

I will just settle for touching myself while looking at pics of her. Just like OP should settle for playing guitar for fun.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Quote by jkielq91

Every single person, what ever is they want to do, should put the thing they want most first.

I dont think any one on this forum has the right to say what he can and cant do, or tell him to push his goals aside.

And to the TS, I studied at the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance, which is the kind of place I would recommend to you, but its in England. I know the musicians institute is very similar (and actually looks better to me from their website). Doing a 1 year course in guitar like I did could help mega time.

i totally agree with this, i know a lot of people that want to go into some pretty stupid stuff like horses and hair and so on, and these college recruiters always bitch about doing what you wanna do so I dont see why everyones so down on it, especially on a guitar forum
Quote by wyldething
lolOK.

I really really want to bone Olivia Wilde, but I'll be damned if I'm going to try to make it happen because it's really not likely to happen. Other people will succeed, and good for them. For me though, it's just not feasible.

I will just settle for touching myself while looking at pics of her. Just like OP should settle for playing guitar for fun.

No he should not.

OP, I think you should go talk to a really musician in the flesh for some career advice. =)

Would you tell an aspiring film director to avoid studying media because the jobs are hard to get? I'm thinking most people wouldn't.

But I have studied both music and film and would say the music jobs are easier to get.

Can I just say, you people probably don't even know this guy. He could be amazing, ok he could also be average, but he could be amazing, and your discouraging him. Even if he is average, he could still be successful. Some mega famous bands have pretty average and wealthy and happy guitar players.
Quote by jkielq91

Theres a difference between dropping guitar, and opening other routes for the future, many guitarists are too ignorant to realize there isnt one finite option.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by jkielq91

I'm not saying that he shouldn't do it, I'm saying that it's probably not sensible. Of course people should try and attain their goals, but doing a degree in guitar performance is putting all your eggs in one basket. If he can't get a job as a session musician or other guitar job, a degree in music performance is not a good way to find a normal one. Whereas, if you are a talented guitar player and perhaps gain some guitar grades or qualifications on the side, you have a fair chance of getting a job as a guitarist.
Quote by wyldething
That's all well and good, but I would hardly call those kind of questions "BS".

True, they're pretty typical questions, but they are pretty annoying for some people who see life that way
*ahem*

Also

Quote by Wolfinator-x
^ I agree.

EDIT: FUCKING PAGE BREAK

LOL what page break? *trollface*
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I'm not saying that he shouldn't do it, I'm saying that it's probably not sensible. Of course people should try and attain their goals, but doing a degree in guitar performance is putting all your eggs in one basket. If he can't get a job as a session musician or other guitar job, a degree in music performance is not a good way to find a normal one. Whereas, if you are a talented guitar player and perhaps gain some guitar grades or qualifications on the side, you have a fair chance of getting a job as a guitarist.

But by studying music he is not necesseraly putting all his eggs in one basket. He could do some thing else along the side, like work in a shop gaining customer service experience or teaching himself to cook.

Tbh, unless you studying some thing like plumbing or cooking, the jobs can be hard to get. Business and psychology are two of the most popular things to study, but do you think every one gets the jobs the want from?

You can study any thing in the world, but there are never any guarantees and there is also competition, so you might as well study the thing you want to do the most.

The other thing is, the guys a teenager, he has plenty of time to learn another trade if he ever needs to. He can do music first, try out for the number one. You can go to uni at 60 if you want to, so its never to late if his music career doesnt work out.
You could start a band and write your own stuff and become a famous supergroup and make millions.

But this is the pop era... and you gotta be really, really, really good, with a lot of luck and good management for that to happen.

But I'm guessing that's what you're talking about when you say guitar job. You wanna make money by JUST playing guitar. So do that. But it's very hard to become a millionaire band, especially in 21st century. You have a better chance at being a millionaire rapper or pop singer.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by Jordan5150
I was wondering what kind of actual jobs a guitarist can get?

Well, assuming no other marketable talents...

Waiter
Bartender
Garbage collector
Fry Clerk
Janitor

And a vanishingly small percentage of them can make a living playing guitar or something related.

Get an education.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by jkielq91
But by studying music he is not necesseraly putting all his eggs in one basket. He could do some thing else along the side, like work in a shop gaining customer service experience or teaching himself to cook.

Tbh, unless you studying some thing like plumbing or cooking, the jobs can be hard to get. Business and psychology are two of the most popular things to study, but do you think every one gets the jobs the want from?

You can study any thing in the world, but there are never any guarantees and there is also competition, so you might as well study the thing you want to do the most.

The other thing is, the guys a teenager, he has plenty of time to learn another trade if he ever needs to. He can do music first, try out for the number one. You can go to uni at 60 if you want to, so its never to late if his music career doesnt work out.

Well presumably a uni music course will cost money, so it shouldn't be approached lightly. Secondly, degrees like business or psychology can lead directly to other jobs, since they impart transferable skills. I can't see how guitar performance would provide anything similar. However, I don't really care.
I've been told the average yearly salary for artists here in Canada is 5000$. Not sure where you're from but I doubt it's much better. As some would say, keep your day job. Teaching guitar lessons can be good money if you're good with kids but most end up doing very menial jobs to support themselves. Really can't hurt to go to college or take up an apprenticeship and learn a trade like plumbing, brick laying, or electrical engineering.
I work for the State Of New Mexico. I don't get paid to play guitar or anything, but I'm a guitarist and that's where I work. So really, you can get any job you want.
It's your life, and your choice, so you can do whatever you want. My advice to you though, is that whatever you decide to do, make damn sure you have a backup plan to fall back on. It has to be a proper backup plan though. You don't want to be in your 30s and working at McDonalds.

Personally, I would rather find a job that I would love to do, rather than turn what I love to do into a job.
I'm studying playing guitar professionally.

Come the **** at me, brethren.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I've driven mining trucks, built log houses, worked in a sawmill, been a geologist's assistant, and worked in a convenience store.

so those for sure.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Evolutionary biology would have been my second choice, actually
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Page 1 of 2