I started playing guitar when I was 12 years old. I started by teaching myself the basic chords, basic techniques like hammer-ons, slides, and bends, and some songs that I could play with the basics. I was determined to be a great player one day.

Then when I was about 13 I started lessons, and my progress skyrocketed. My teacher gave me stuff that was pretty difficult for a beginner, and I blazed through it. I practiced diligently for hours on end. All of my friends played guitar, and I was the best of any of us.

After about a year, I changed teachers. I liked my old teacher, but as any 14-year-old should, I wanted to play rock n roll, and my first teacher was a country player. So I found a teacher who would teach me rock and jumped ship. My second teacher was a very nice guy, but he wasn't doing much in terms of teaching me theory. I would bring in songs that I wanted to learn, and he would teach them to me.

Money got tight, and I quit lessons. Around this time, I sort of lost my ambition with guitar, but I kept my interest in music. This led to me spending, oh, threeish years not progressing at all. I would just look up tabs of songs I like and try to learn them (considering I lost a bit of my foundation, I didn't have much success with this). My friends who I was once better than started to match and even surpass me, one or two of them even joining bands. I felt like such a 16-year-old has-been.

Now I am 18 years old, and I feel that my passion for guitar has been truly reignited. I want to put in the effort and the hours to be great. Not to be famous, but because I am extremely passionate about music, and I want to make it for the rest of my life.

I have this idea of going back to the basics, starting all over, as if I were learning for the first time. I feel like this will help rid me of bad habits and reform my foundation. Surely I'm not the only person on UG who has done something like this before. Anyone have any words of encouragement/tips for starting fresh?

tl;dr: I was a promising young guitar player who got lazy. I've overcome my laziness and want to dedicate myself to the instrument again. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement. Let's hear your stories of starting over fresh!
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Dec 30, 2011,
Well I've done exactly what you describe no less than twice in my life. When I started again I started ALL over again. For me it was similar to you. I wasn't progressing or felt like I wasn't. Guitar frustrated the hell out of me and I would actually just blame the instrument! Yeah it was the guitars fault not mine. The guitar kicked my ass literally for several years, at least that's what I thought. I realized at some point it was me who was kicking my own ass. The guitar can't fight you only you can fight yourself in mastering it. I've found it to be the most exhilirating experience of my life but also one of the most frustrating. Now that the frustration is gone and I realize that my guitars are inanimate objects capable of making something sound beautiful but only through me I have challenged myself. I realize that I will never be a virtuoso or a master but I never had those goals to begin with. But I have grown to learn that I must at least "try" to master something greater than myself and for me that is the guitar. Never again will I put it down and blame it for my shortcomings. When I have a problem now I just step away, take some breaths and slow it down and and hit back HARD!! It works for me. Keep following your goals and don't ever put that instrument down again! If it's your passion then you deserve it.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
I've had a similar experience. I started of blazing through songs then hit a brick wall, sort of floundered for 4 years, then stopped completely for a year and a half. I put too much emphasis on becoming a master and just ended up fighting the guitar. Now, I'm just taking things slow and enjoying it.
I think you need to find what works for you and what can motivate you to keep going. When I started up I did tab which got me nowhere and frustrated the heck out of me. This year I went back to the beginning and started over with Gibson's Learn and Master. It really helped me with the basics and learning chords. Right now I'm playing Rocksmith which keeps me going. I think pretty soon I'll be able to go back to tab and have some better success.
I've done a little bit of reading about Rocksmith. A few other people here on UG seem to like it. I definitely wouldn't rely on it, but it seems like it might be a good way to spice practice up a bit.

I've considered going back to lessons, if I could find a good teacher, but for now I'm using that justinguitar website, which is working pretty well for me. I started my rebirth yesterday. I just couldn't wait for the new year to get started! So I guess this is day 2 of me relearning guitar. I got about three hours of practice in yesterday and about an hour today. I need to adjust my day to accommodate a proper practice schedule. I'd like to do about 20 hours a week at first, and I figure as I improve I'll simply want to play even longer than that.

Like I said, I'm ready to really dedicate myself to it.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I've done a little bit of reading about Rocksmith. A few other people here on UG seem to like it. I definitely wouldn't rely on it, but it seems like it might be a good way to spice practice up a bit.

I've considered going back to lessons, if I could find a good teacher, but for now I'm using that justinguitar website, which is working pretty well for me. I started my rebirth yesterday. I just couldn't wait for the new year to get started! So I guess this is day 2 of me relearning guitar. I got about three hours of practice in yesterday and about an hour today. I need to adjust my day to accommodate a proper practice schedule. I'd like to do about 20 hours a week at first, and I figure as I improve I'll simply want to play even longer than that.

Like I said, I'm ready to really dedicate myself to it.

I have had so much fun playing rocksmith in the last couple weeks. I bought it for my son. And we are playing it together. And Im playing it after he's crashed out. I can't remember the last time I've had hours and hours of just plain fun playing guitar. Ive toured multiple times, I've recorded five or six albums I can be for the most part, proud of, and have done just about everything I set out to do with guitar. But when it comes to absolute, pure enjoyment, that game is what did it for me. I like it because it doesn't feel like a waste of time. With guitar hero, you could be the star of your bedroom. But at the end of the day, all you could do is press buttons on a plastic controller shaped kinda like a guitar. Sorry it's so long, but I can't speak highly enough about rocksmith.