I want to get a digitech whammy but I dont really fancy buying one for my bass and one for my guitar because I would like to use it on both really, just wondering whether I would need to get one for each really? or if just one would be ok, thanks!! (cost is the only thing that is bothering me when Im looking at pedals for both instruments really)
Yeah the bass player for a band called Castrovalva uses one for harmonies and stuff (drum, bass and synth trio) Check them out if you wanna hear how they sound
i'd imagine so, just don't go too deal with the frequencies.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Honestly I think you'd get better results using the bass whammy on guitar than you would using the guitar whammy on bass, so for that reason I'd suggest, if you're only buying one, to just get the bass one.
I didn't know Digitech made Bass Whammies!
Could you send me the link? I want to get one for a friend of mine.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Digitech did make a bass whammy but I am pretty sure it is discontinued. You can see a few on ebay every now and then but they are ridiculous prices.
Quote by BlindNematode
I didn't know Digitech made Bass Whammies!
Could you send me the link? I want to get one for a friend of mine.

They're discontinued, and when they do actually pop up on the used market they regularly go for $500+. Good luck.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I actually saw a used Whammy at Guitar Center for a great price the other day and bought it, but I've been wondering the same thing. Right now I also use an EHX Memory Boy and a Dunlop Rotovibe on my bass and they both sound decent...just because it's not made for bass doesn't mean it won't work for bass.
Oh they'll work, it's just that often you lose a lot of low frequency content. That's not always noticeable when playing quietly alone, but in a band setting or in a mix, you'll feel it.
The digitech whammy can do like an octave lower harmonies cant it? Which would make me think it can handle the bass frequency's fine. Granted that effect might not work as you'd be going stupidly low and i doubt its made to handle anything like that. But all the other stuff would probably work without a hitch.
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
The digitech whammy can do like an octave lower harmonies cant it? Which would make me think it can handle the bass frequency's fine. Granted that effect might not work as you'd be going stupidly low and i doubt its made to handle anything like that. But all the other stuff would probably work without a hitch.

Not necessarily... just dropping a guitar by an octave doesn't introduce low frequency harmonic content that wasn't there before, hence why a bass guitar will nearly always sound richer & deeper.
Ahh fair enough, just a thought! Anyway like i said in my first post, the bassist in castrovalva uses on, or he used too anyway, It seems to work fine fore him
The frequency response of the Digitech Whammy is 20Hz to 20Hz for the dry signal, so you should have no problems with it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I've owned 2 of the Whammy IV's and for a while i was an owner of one of the purple-tastic Bass Whammies.

The Bass Whammy is by FAR better for bass. The Whammy IV is GOOD... but once you've played the bass version, it's tough to beat.

Some thoughts:

-It's (Whammy IV) great for noisy stuff! But, it's got some lousy tracking if you plan on using it for complex lines, especially in the lower register.
-It's a VERY solid pedal, but it does take up a lot of room AND it uses its own power supply... just remember that when making room on your pedal board.
-The stock Whammy IV is NOT a true-bypass pedal. This is the main reason i flipped mine. It alters the tone a bit too much for my taste. Most whammys being used by bassists (especially Brian Cook (These Arms are Snakes/Botch/Russian Circles)) have their Whammy's modded to allow true bypass. I HIGHLY recomend looking into this if you decide to get one.
-For BASS... aside from the Bass Whammy... i was actually happier using a Boss PS-5 and an Expression Pedal.

I would try it out. It really is a niche pedal... and an expensive one at that... so, try before ya buy!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Jared Followill from Kings of Leon uses one on the bassline to Closer.
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
Is there a difference in the models of whammy (guitar version)? I almost got one once for $70 which looked like the standard one I see in pictures, then there was a guy selling a used original for like $500, and then there was one that looked really dumbed down and simplified for like $50
Quote by askrere
Is there a difference in the models of whammy (guitar version)? I almost got one once for $70 which looked like the standard one I see in pictures, then there was a guy selling a used original for like $500, and then there was one that looked really dumbed down and simplified for like $50

There ARE a couple versions out there. The most prevalent is the current production version... the Whammy IV. But with that in mind, there have been a few versions... I, II, and IV (no official 3)... but also the one-offs, like the Bass Whammy, Whammy Wah, and the current Whammy DT. I'm assuming the 'dumbed down version' was the Whammy Wah. However, despite its look, it actually DOES a lot. So yeah... $500 for a WH1 sounds about right and i've seen them go for over $600. A Bass Whammy is usually in the same price range. The others tend to hover in the $100-$200 range, with the WH2 usually a bit more expensive (it had the different color, and i THINK it was the only production Whammy to have a preset button) in the $200-$300 range. So, regardless of the version, anything under $100 is a pretty good deal, but it's not unheard of to find them in that $50 range.

For the most part, they all 'do' similar things... expression pedal opperated pitch shifting. But, they have varied in aesthetics quite a bit...

'cuz i like pictures:

Whammy I:

Whammy II:

Whammy IV:

Whammy Wah:

Whammy DT:
(Invalid img)

Bass Whammy:

20th Anniversary Whammy:

The wikipedia entry actually lists WHAT each version does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiTech_Whammy
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Jan 4, 2012,
The Digitech BP-8 has a Whammy option

This is from the Manual:

The BP-8 Valve’s Whammy™ pitch bending effect allows you to smoothly shift between two preset pitch intervals using the Expression
Pedal. *
Amount Selects the function of the Whammy™ Module. There are 16 functions available in regular Whammy
Modules. They are as follows:

Whammy
Octave Up=OcUP
2nd Up=2ndU
2nd Down=2ndd
4th Down=4thd
Octave Down=OcUP

Harmony (Dry Signal Added)
Octave Up/Octave Down=OuOd
Octave Down/4th Down=Ou4d
4th Down/3rd Up=4d3u
4th Up/5th Up=4u5u
5th Up/6th Up=5u6u
5th Up/Octave Up=5uOu
Detune=detn

Whammy The Whammy Parameter reflects the current setting of the Whammy™ effect. As this parameter is
modified, the pitch of the original note will change in intervals according to the setting of the Amount
parameter. Ranges from 0 to 100.

* To link the Whammy function to the Expression Pedal, see instructions on page 14

Wow that looks insane. I never used it, tried it in passing.

The last one I bought was $75

Digitech Rackmount 2120 Artist is Midi automated and does Whammy, I got one for about $375
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Last edited by Sliide90027 at Sep 21, 2016,
I used a Burns 6 string Bass throughout the 60s (I had one for a little while a few years back) it had a whammy bar, so has my fender 6 string the I have now.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn