I just recently changed strings on my guitar and now I have an odd dilemma.

On my low E string, when the first fret is played, there is a buzzing sound. This sound is not heard when I hold the string down lightly though. A buzzing can also be heard in the first frets of the A and D string, but that is only when I start releasing pressure on the string. My G, B, and e strings play perfectly fine.

There is no other buzzing on any other frets really. If anything, there is a very faint buzz when I play the 8th fret of the low E string.

I've been looking up solutions to my problem but I'm not sure what to believe and the guitar store around here has closed down. I've heard of raising the action or something like that, but is that really necessary if only three strings at one fret are experiencing problems? I have also heard about fixing the truss rod. I'm not sure I'm confident in doing that just yet.

I'm thinking perhaps I should just buy heavier gauge strings. I don't think this is a normal issue with new strings because I've given it a couple of days. As far as the nut goes, the strings never buzzed like this before hand, so why would the nut suddenly be the problem after a string change?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Could be a relief problem, check it carefully, you'll find tips from the internet. OR if you changed to lighter string gauge the nut slots might be too big for the new strings and they're in too deep (sounds a bit pervert lol) but I hope you get the point.
Could you elaborate on how to check if there is a relief problem? Hmm, that could be the case with the nut and the string gauge. Hopefully heavier gauge strings will fix my problem. It would be the cheapest and safest solution too.
if the strings buzz (and you can hear the buzz thru the amp), at the first fret,

then when you changed strings, you most likely allowed the neck to relax a little.

to check your neck's relief,
all you have to do is

fret the Low E at the first fret, at the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet. ~19th.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

if the string lays on the frets there, then you need more relief,

post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The buzz does not sound through the amp, but it certainly irritates me.

Alright, I did what you said and the string looks uncomfortably close to the frets. I can see how I may have caused this relief issue. I took off all the strings of my guitar and reattached them one by one. That may have been the cause of my problem.

I'm wondering why this only affects 3 strings though and not all of them...But with that question aside, how do I go about fixing this issue? I'm obviously new at this since I've never had any problems before and like I said, our local guitar store has closed down so I can't really seek professional help anytime soon.

EDIT: After looking very closely, the distance between the string and the frets is very small, but I don't believe they are touching, though they are very close.
Last edited by armymond at Dec 30, 2011,
heres a realy crappy fix....i had a righty but i played left and swatiched ths strings...i filed down the nut to make the heavy string fit where the light strings was....i filed them to much and had the open note buzz....i took a small piece of paper towel and put it between the nut and the string, to lift the string...it worked never had a problem since
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by silent caution
heres a realy crappy fix....i had a righty but i played left and swatiched ths strings...i filed down the nut to make the heavy string fit where the light strings was....i filed them to much and had the open note buzz....i took a small piece of paper towel and put it between the nut and the string, to lift the string...it worked never had a problem since

I've been thinking of doing a similar fix but I do not suffer from open string buzz. Though I may try it if I'm desperate.

Anyways, regarding the measurement of my neck's relief, when I hold the first and 19th fret down, low e string is pretty much perfectly flat. I've read this is a good thing and that my truss rod will not need to be adjusted. With that in mind, I'm starting to believe that string gauge may be the cause to my problems.
Quote by armymond
I've been thinking of doing a similar fix but I do not suffer from open string buzz. Though I may try it if I'm desperate.

Anyways, regarding the measurement of my neck's relief, when I hold the first and 19th fret down, low e string is pretty much perfectly flat. I've read this is a good thing and that my truss rod will not need to be adjusted. With that in mind, I'm starting to believe that string gauge may be the cause to my problems.

dude, you dont have enough relief for that guitar, because you took off all the strings at once.

it doesnt buzz thru the amp so it's technically not considered an issue.

but if it bugs the hell out of you, you can add a bit more relief,
by turning the truss rod 1/8-1/4 turn Counter clockwise,.

that's a very small amount.

dont force the turn and let the guitar settle in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011