Five and a half years and this is my first time posting here.

So one of my favorite lesser known solo artists (Sail By The Stars) is looking for a bassist to start a band. Now I've been a guitarist for almost 7 years now and I've dabbled with bass occasionally and I think I can do it. I've experimented with basslines on guitar and played it in a band for a short while but never had my own gear.

So what setup would you recommend for a starting bassist who is going to be playing shows? I already have a Marshall MG 30fx (Which I'm sure what I'll really need is a new amp) Budget would be under $1,000 for both the amp and bass.

Also, anything I should know about being a bassist?
Last edited by Twist of fate at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by Twist of fate
Also, anything I should know about being a bassist?

Have yourself a look through the forum FAQ, I'm sure you'll find some answers in there. At the very least it's a good place to start.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Damn, the Pit and the bass forum are slowly merging, like Time Compression from FFVIII

You'll get loads of advice, so I'll leave one piece- don't overplay. This may be difficult having been a guitarist, but I have faith

I'm trying not to leave too many tracks of ridiculousness in this forum.

First bass practice I had with a band was for like 2 hours, my fingers were dying. Oh well. I built up to guitar, I can continue building up to bass
Well, since you will be gigging, I think you would be better off with a good powerful amp, and a simple bass. I don't know very much what can you get since i manage myself with another coin since i live in south america, but i think you could get a fine bass, and a good head with a 4X10 cab.

To get most out you're cash, i'd go used, and look into higher end squiers (Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series. in bass, squiers are the best bang for the buck... unlike with guitar...) and hartke amps.

hope this helps, if you want more specific info, i could throw in some basses names, not that much with amps, since i haven't get myself a gigging amp yet, so i haven't search for them... Good luck!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Deliriumbassist

You'll get loads of advice, so I'll leave one piece- don't overplay. This may be difficult having been a guitarist, but I have faith

I think we can all attest that it's pretty difficult even if we've been life-long bass players lol.

To add on that, listen much more to the drummer, particularly the kick, than anything else. You want to be completely locked in with that kick (and hopefully the rest of the kit too). Even when you're putting some swing on it, or getting a little loosey-goosey, you don't want to stray from the percussion. Bass+drums in perfect sync is where all of the drive and balls in a three or four piece band comes from.