Page 1 of 2
Hi all, I'm looking for a guitar

If I could have a guitar that did jazz (John Scofield, Mike Stern, Bill Frisell, Eric Johnson and Pat Martino, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall and Pat Metheny)

Rock (Incubus, Porcupine Tree, Guitarists like Satch, Vai, Petrucci, Buckethead and Guthrie Govan)

Metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X, Meshuggah, Opeth, Planet X)

As well as having things like a tremolo (vibrato) system, HSH or with coil split/coil tap, 24 frets, and maybe a piezo pickup.

Just a question with peizo, is it possible to have 2 humbuckers (neck and bridge) and a piezo, or what a piezo effectively have to cancel one of them out?
Parker Fly is arguably the best out of the 4 you've listed.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
The John Petrucci's Music Man Has a tremolo system, and two humbuckers(DiMarzio LiquiFire, Bridge: DiMarzio Crunch Lab) which you could get coil taping pots for it, 24 frets, and piezo pickup.

Take a long look at it

http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/john-petrucci.html
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
The Carvin Holdsworth has a mahoosive neck carve, if you're used to/expecting a thin neck like on the EBMM JP you'll be disappointed... The pickups are also quite low output, a typical PAF styled pickup, so you may be disappointed for metal.

The parker fly is a marmite guitar. The neck is extremely thin, the acoustic tone is very bright, thin and a little nasal. But in terms of playability and comfort you'll struggle to find much better.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Parker fly would be a good choice, they're very versatile guitars. You can use the the piezo and the electric pickups at the same time although on mine the middle position on the selector switch chooses a single coil from each humbucker and not both humbuckers. Not sure about other models though.
Quote by jesse music
How's the trem on the JP, because it's not locking. How much can you get coil tapping pots for?

The trem on it is great, i only played a Jp Sterling(the cheaper Music Man) it didn't go out of tune. You can get coil tapping pots for about $14 for one.
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
PRS > EBMM imo. I own guitars of both (which mean I LOVE both) brands, and I must say that quality on both is remarkebly great. But PRS does just everything that tiny bit better.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
PRS > EBMM imo. I own guitars of both (which mean I LOVE both) brands, and I must say that quality on both is remarkebly great. But PRS does just everything that tiny bit better.

Yeah

PRS
EBMM/Parker
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
Carvin

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Personal taste leads me to recommend the Parker, but I've never touched the EBMM or Carvin.
I think carvins are top notch guitars right up there with prs and Ebmm. I have never liked an ebmm guitar I've played, but that's just me. The build quality is impeccable. I would say give a carvin a shot first. They have a ten day return policy. If you still aren't satisfied, then get one of the other. I don't think you'll be dissapointed with carvin.
i really loved the two JP6's my guitar center had. brilliant guitars, one had a piezo setup and the other didn't. i played both for i don't know 20 minutes or so.

i played a parker fly a few years ago, i wish i remembered more about it, but i left liking it. IMO from an engineering standpoint NOBODY beats parker.

either of those would for sure make you very happy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Chad11491
I think carvins are top notch guitars right up there with prs and Ebmm. I have never liked an ebmm guitar I've played, but that's just me. The build quality is impeccable. I would say give a carvin a shot first. They have a ten day return policy. If you still aren't satisfied, then get one of the other. I don't think you'll be dissapointed with carvin.

Carvins are nice guitars, but not on near the same level of PRS and EBMM.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i didn't find the trem on the JP6 as comfy as the prs trem.

but the custom 24 doesn't have a piezo.

but how many people actually use a piezo? (i did, and would again but i'm kinda alone there i think).

but parkers are great guitars too.

get the one that has the neck you like best, they are all very good guitars.

try a bunch.
Quote by gregs1020
i didn't find the trem on the JP6 as comfy as the prs trem.

but the custom 24 doesn't have a piezo.

but how many people actually use a piezo? (i did, and would again but i'm kinda alone there i think).

but parkers are great guitars too.

get the one that has the neck you like best, they are all very good guitars.

try a bunch.

i would get some usage out of the piezo, but then again probably a massive percentage never plug anything into it.

i liked the trem on the JP6, haven't messed with one on a PRS though, so i am unable to comment.

any of those you have listed are awesome instruments, you just have to find the one that feels best.

for me though it would be JP6 w/piezo or a Parker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah

PRS
EBMM/Parker
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
Carvin

I disagree whole-heartedly.

For build quality Carvin is on par, the only "problem" is you have to know what you're doing. Since they give you so many options you can create a fair few dogs by making bad pairings of woods/hardware. You can get proper wilky trems, sperzel tuners and if I remember correctly you can get real tone-pros equipment as well via special order.

Regarding electronics though you're on the money, to my tastes the pickups are naff and the pots/switches are similar to those on Korean/Chinese instruments (unless they've updated without me noticing.) As I, and most other people, change pickups/electronics anyway it's not a huge deal.

I also have to add I've seen more PRSi with bad finishes than I have Carvin (although I have obviously seen far less Carvin.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Jp6 definitely. You essentially have two humbuckers, one single coil (from the coil split) and the piezo. and the piezo, george, sounds damn beautiful. The neck is not for everyone, so try one out before spending so much.
And that trem? quite frankly holds tuning like my double locked floyd, i can literally pick my guitar from the tromolo and hold it in air and it's still in tune.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would get some usage out of the piezo, but then again probably a massive percentage never plug anything into it.

that's my point. it's a killer option but few would make use of it.

going stereo to an acoustic amp or PA from the piezo out allows for tone "blending" that you can't get any other way really. it adds that "shimmer" to the sound as well as a true stereo effect.

the fly as well has a piezo, as do many PRS HB models that would probably be a better comparison to the JP6 and Parker offerings.

you could add a piezo to the CU24, but that would be a bit of a pain in the ars.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Carvins are nice guitars, but not on near the same level of PRS and EBMM.

Well, having and played and owned a few PRS I find carvin to be just as good. But that's just my opinion. I have never personally liked the way ebmm have played, but again, they are clearly top notch. Just not me. But cheers man, different strokes for different folks
Have to give my vote to the PRS. Some of the nicest playing guitars I've ever held. Extremely versatile.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
I really don't think you could go wrong with any of those. If you look at your preferred genres, you'll find those makers represented in each.

My personal take:

I've never met a disappointed Carvin owner, and I rarely see used ones on the market. I've played a couple, and wish to add a pair of SH550s to my collection, and will take steps to make that reality.

I've never met a disappointed Parker owner, and I rarely see used ones on the market. I've played one, would love to own a Fly, and will take steps to make that reality.

I've never met a disappointed PRS owner, and I occasionally see used ones on the market- more than the other 2 combined. I've played a couple, and was impressed...but not enough to make owning one a priority.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The only thing that bothers me about the Carvin/Haldsworth Signature is the lack of trem (granted you can get a bigsby, but that's not really my style) and although a trem isn't all important, if I had a trem, I'd definitely use it.

Once I get enough funding together, and get out to playing/hearing a few of these guitars it'll make my decision a lot easier

The local music store has a EBMMJP6 and I know a few guys with PRS custom 24s. Playing a parker fly is going to present a bit of a problem though, as I've never seen them in any guitar store I've visited, and I don't know anyone (in RL) with a parker fly.

As another option, how would Suhr guitars do in this situation?

I feel I may open a can of worms here, but how do you guys feel about the PRS 3 way toggle vs the 5 way rotary knob?

Can someone explain to me a bit more about coil splitting/coil tapping. First of all, what is (is there?) the difference? Does coil tapping/splitting in effect, just turn one of your humbuckers into a single coil and then while that coil split/tap is activated, one of your humbuckers (whichever one it is linked to) will function as single coil?

What woods would you recommend for the different musical styles I like to play? I was in contact with another guitar luthier and he recommended a mahogany body with maple top, and a mahogany neck with a rosewood or pau ferro fingerboard

To me, the EB MM JPX is looking pretty sweet right now, seems to have about everything

-24 frets
- Weight Relieved body
- Tremolo
- Piezo
- Coil tap/split

and a darn bit cheaper than a parker as well.

Do you get many/any PRS custom 24 guitars that have been weight relieved?
Last edited by jesse music at Jan 1, 2012,
Quote by jesse music
Do you get many/any PRS custom 24 guitars that have been weight relieved?

i can't imagine needing it.

they have hollowbodies and semihollows, and have made versions with trems. but mostly 22 fret versions.

but the custom 24s aren't heavy guitars.
Quote by jesse music
I was more thinking for a better acoustic resonance and slightly thicker tone moreso than a weight problem.

i got you.

a semi hollow custom 22 would be a good prs option then. (not taking anything away from the other options, i stated i believe them to be quite good as well).

but i didn't see an answer to the thought, would you use a piezo pick up?
Quote by jesse music
The only thing that bothers me about the Carvin/Haldsworth Signature is the lack of trem (granted you can get a bigsby, but that's not really my style) and although a trem isn't all important, if I had a trem, I'd definitely use it.

You can get a Wilky on an H2... The HF2 is the one that can only have a bigsby.

The difference between the two models is the overall body size and amount of chambering. The HF2 is very thick and almost completely hollow with twin floating beams (a la DeLap) inside, the H2 is "just" chambered (albeit moreso than the typical chambered guitar.)

Quote by gregs1020
i got you.

a semi hollow custom 22 would be a good prs option then. (not taking anything away from the other options, i stated i believe them to be quite good as well).
but i didn't see an answer to the thought, would you use a piezo pick up?

I think I would, I had to play for a singers audition this year, and she wanted quite a few songs with acoustic guitar parts, though some with electric as well, and I didn't really feel like dragging two guitars to the performance. The peizo would have worked really nicely for James Taylors You've Got A Friend and If I Were A Painter by Norah Jones

Would a PRS semi-hollow be open to any problems with feedback though?
Going from the models on the PRS site we have the hollowbody II, the JA-15 and Singlecut Hollowbody II along with this one which I could find through the PRS site, so I hope it's still available.

The hollowbody II looks more of a 335 type construction, is it?
JA-15 seems to have a wider body

but all those hollowbodies are without trems, so the one I'd probably be considering is this one which seems to be more of a thinline type vibe. Is it hollow all round or just hollow on the side with the F-hole?

PRS guitar just look SO damn beautiful! amirite?
Last edited by jesse music at Jan 1, 2012,
Quote by power freak
You can get a Wilky on an H2... The HF2 is the one that can only have a bigsby.

The difference between the two models is the overall body size and amount of chambering. The HF2 is very thick and almost completely hollow with twin floating beams (a la DeLap) inside, the H2 is "just" chambered (albeit moreso than the typical chambered guitar.)

Thanks for the info. Would there be anywhere I could see some shots of the inside of the body and take a look at the amount of hollow space for myself?
no piezo

basically they don't come with piezo and trem, it's a one or the other thing with PRS.

i've never had a problem with feedback with either of the HB PRS guitars i've had.

has piezo.
you really are working up the ladder there. i mean a solid carvin is about 1000 unless you max out all teh wood options and bring it up to 2000 or so. thats mostly looks at that point.

then we have hollow body PRS and suhrs falling in the 3000-5000+ range with parkers in the low end of that.

jesus man. broad scope. im just going to say if your in teh 3000+ range you can get a guitar from almost any guitar maker on the planet. you picked some really great guitars, but there are definitely otehrs to keep in mind.

..such as Hamer.
muic man makes a great guitar and im not a fan of signature but that JP is an amazing guitar. easily one of the nicest stock guitars ive ever seen. its definitely a player though. it reminds me of what a fender should be.

i view guitars like prs, hamer, suhr etc to be borderline works of art if you get them all gussied up. but again, clearly you dont realyl have a budget issue here.

hamer probably makes one of the best guitars available today. they have been for years, they just are fairly low key about it. i would easily put the nicest hamer against the nicest PRS any day.
Quote by jesse music
Thanks for the info. Would there be anywhere I could see some shots of the inside of the body and take a look at the amount of hollow space for myself?

Carvin.com has some cutaway shots of them, but not complete reveals, as I recall.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by jesse music

I thought the Carvin site had a few pictures but I can only find them for the HF2. I've seen pictures somewhere, it may have been the carvin forums or it may have been one of Allan's books I've got lying around somewhere, I can't remember.

The H2 has a soild "core" like on an ES335 with chambered "wings". It's something like this: http://api.ning.com/files/ifdWoDucn5j4LsoQVI1y2vew2d664AW6U-vha53bB8o2yCwHsZv4iGrOHqad0QLzyg01KP4Ic-IQMJGfXrYysl-2rI95f6h0/4ChamberedMahogonyBody.jpg if memory serves..

If you get a chance to pick one up you'll notice it is lighter than you expect.

Quote by power freak
I thought the Carvin site had a few pictures but I can only find them for the HF2. I've seen pictures somewhere, it may have been the carvin forums or it may have been one of Allan's books I've got lying around somewhere, I can't remember.

The H2 has a soild "core" like on an ES335 with chambered "wings". It's something like this: http://api.ning.com/files/ifdWoDucn5j4LsoQVI1y2vew2d664AW6U-vha53bB8o2yCwHsZv4iGrOHqad0QLzyg01KP4Ic-IQMJGfXrYysl-2rI95f6h0/4ChamberedMahogonyBody.jpg if memory serves..

If you get a chance to pick one up you'll notice it is lighter than you expect.

Thanks Is it the same for the HF2 and HF2S?

ikey_: I could probably go about 2 - 3 grand now, but I'm not looking at buying until the end of this year, maybe end of next, I'm just trying to get as much information about a guitar that might be exactly what I'm after so I can be as well informed as possible when the time comes to buy.

Re the work of art thing, it's one of the things that I've always loved so much about guitar is that they really are works of art, some PRS guitars are as much like Mona Lisa to me as the real deal.

dannyalcatraz:
Last edited by jesse music at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by jesse music
Thanks Is it the same for the HF2 and HF2S?

The HF2 has a thicker body and is fully hollow with only 2 "floating beams" going through the centre (this is why you can't have a wilky on one, there's nothing to mount it to!) The beams allow the top and bottom of the guitar to vibrate independently (or at least that's the advertising spiel) creating more resonance.

The HF2 is louder and sounds/behaves more like a "real" hollow body guitar (think gibson L5, D'Angellico or similar.) It can handle OD a little better than most hollows but does not do the traditional jazz sounds in quite the same way. The HF2S is literally just a HF2 with a synth attached to it, the construction/electric tone is exactly the same.

As I said before the only real "negatives" I can think of for an H2/HF2 are:
-Poor quality electrics
-Pickups are "odd", I personally can't stand them but others love them
-The neck is huge, if you've got small hands/play an Ibanez you'll be in for a shock! It's on par, if not thicker, than the old LP "baseball bat" necks.
-If you pick "unusual" wood combinations you can end up with a dog

Regarding PRS: I am in a real minority here but I think their hollowbodies are terrible. I've yet to find one that isn't thin and nasally unplugged. I've never been a fan of their pickups either as they are on the nasal side as well, so when combined I find it majorly disappointing. With my money I'd buy an ES335 or ES175 over the PRS offerings.

Then again, I am quite picky with hollowbodies.

Quote by power freak

Regarding PRS: I am in a real minority here but I think their hollowbodies are terrible. I've yet to find one that isn't thin and nasally unplugged. I've never been a fan of their pickups either as they are on the nasal side as well, so when combined I find it majorly disappointing. With my money I'd buy an ES335 or ES175 over the PRS offerings.

Then again, I am quite picky with hollowbodies.

A very very very very small minority.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 2