So I got a steal today on an unopened BBE Green Screamer today. Only 25 bucks never opened. It was still in the bubble wrap and the battery still had the plastic covering. So I plug it into my also brand new Jet City 20JCA and get this incredibly terrible hiss. I touch my finger to the bypass switch and immediately realize it's a ground problem. So I open up my pedal and here is what I see.

They completely forgot to wiring the grounding on the output side! I am at a lost and I know nothing about working on pedals. Can someone help me out and tell me where to solder the ground or maybe draw me a diagram somehow?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
How would I do that?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Im on my phone and cant see the picture, but with metal sleeved jacks it doesnt need a wire to it because the ground signal passes through the enclosure to it.
mojostompboxes.com
I see, well then do you have any idea what is causing the grounding issue?
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I see, well then do you have any idea what is causing the grounding issue?

maybe you have magic fingers?
mojostompboxes.com
but that would imply that instead of fixing the ground my fingers caused the ground.
Quote by barden1069
I really don't want to have to send this in to BBE...
Quote by barden1069
Quote by greeny23
Im on my phone and cant see the picture, but with metal sleeved jacks it doesnt need a wire to it because the ground signal passes through the enclosure to it.

While this is true, make sure it is actually grounding.
A multi-meter would help there.

I would add a wire to ground the jack.
Paint on the enclosure could prevent the ground on the jack from making actual metal to metal contact with the enclosure.

TS:
Red wire on the far right. where does that go to?
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 30, 2011,
could you maybe mspaint me some sort of general guide? I'm almost positive it's a grounding issue. there is an uncontrollable hiss when it is plugged in, with the battery or the power supply. When I touch the bypass switch with my hand the hiss goes away.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero
could you maybe mspaint me some sort of general guide? I'm almost positive it's a grounding issue. there is an uncontrollable hiss when it is plugged in, with the battery or the power supply. When I touch the bypass switch with my hand the hiss goes away.

I am going to be very straightforward with you.

Touching the switch doesn't mean jack shit. Seriously.
Do you know what it would mean if the output jack wasnt grounded? The braid of the cable on the output wouldn't be grounded. Which it probably still is, due to the next input jack it encounters, which is either another pedal or your amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Do you know what it would mean if the output jack wasnt grounded? The braid of the cable on the output wouldn't be grounded. Which it probably still is, due to the next input jack it encounters, which is either another pedal or your amp.

this
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by forsaknazrael

Well this was my first assumption from dealing with guitars having a similar issue. I'm just at a loss here. I don't know what the problem is and I just want it to be fixed. The amp has no problem when it is plugged in straight to the guitar and the cables I've used have not had a problem by themselves.

The hiss is constant.
Quote by barden1069
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Dec 30, 2011,
Basically what you're telling me is you have no idea what the problem is either.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Basically what you're telling me is you have no idea what the problem is either.

not easy to diagnose your problem when you have no idea what you're doing
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
not easy to diagnose your problem when you have no idea what you're doing

If i was to post a video tomorrow could that be more helpful? It's too late here for me to be plugging into my amp.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero
If i was to post a video tomorrow could that be more helpful? It's too late here for me to be plugging into my amp.

meh, it might.

then again, it might not.

just send it back.
mojostompboxes.com
Thats just the BBE tones coming through brah

Some people like it some don't
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by RealGuitarHero

Basically I'm telling you that you're a nub, and I am the very least, several hundred miles away so I cannot accurately diagnose the problem based on the information either at hand or by what you are able to tell me. Given a bit of expertise and the right equipment, I could get what I need to know from you, but that is either too much work to expect from you, or more expensive than simply getting a replacement.

You do the math.
Can you tell us more about what's going on?

Like, is the signal making it to the amp when the pedal is on? Is the pedal actually working, but just noisy? Are the input/output jacks tightened down all the way?

The more you tell us the more we'll know. What you gave us in the original post is too vague to help you in any way.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Basically I'm telling you that you're a nub, and I am the very least, several hundred miles away so I cannot accurately diagnose the problem based on the information either at hand or by what you are able to tell me. Given a bit of expertise and the right equipment, I could get what I need to know from you, but that is either too much work to expect from you, or more expensive than simply getting a replacement.

You do the math.

There is no reason to be rude about it. The fact that I asked shows that I am inexperienced and willing to learn. Instead of helping you've done very little but just tell me I was wrong about my grounding problem. So thanks for that but I don't need anything else from you.

Quote by chip46
Can you tell us more about what's going on?

Like, is the signal making it to the amp when the pedal is on? Is the pedal actually working, but just noisy? Are the input/output jacks tightened down all the way?

The more you tell us the more we'll know. What you gave us in the original post is too vague to help you in any way.

The single is making it to the amplifier, but very quiet and drowned out by the static, almost giving it a phaser thats been turned all the way up sound from the actual guitar sound. When I touch my finger to the bypass switch the hiss for the most part goes away. The drop in volume is still there however. Anything else I could tell you?
Quote by barden1069
Not holding your hand or not sugar coating answers doesn't mean I'm rude. It means im succinct and to the point. What I'm telling you just isn't what you want to hear.

It sounds to me like your pedal is broken and not at all functioning properly. Without knowing any numbers, it could be something as difficult to fix as a manufacturing error in the PCB.
place the pedal up your stinker.

or just TAKE IT BACK. although i think we've already told you that..
mojostompboxes.com
Well you'll be glad to know that I'm taking your advice and sending it back. I'm sorry that maybe I just wanted to see if I could fix it myself before having to send it back by mail and having to deal with the company I bought it from.
Quote by barden1069
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Dec 30, 2011,
I'm sorry I got defensive. It was just too good to be true I guess, 25 dollars for it unopened, of course it would have been a lemon.
Quote by barden1069
Quote by RealGuitarHero

i can't for sure say what you meant by the above comment, but it seems offensive.

forsaknazrael knows his shit. if you are looking for help, don't start making comments to others that are rude, as you did.

a lot of people are nicer than me with certain things. if i had tried to help you (although unfortutately i don't have a ton of experience with pedals, i am learning though). and you make an off comment about something i wouldn't respond, any more.

you posted:
"There is no reason to be rude about it. The fact that I asked shows that I am inexperienced and willing to learn. Instead of helping you've done very little but just tell me I was wrong about my grounding problem. So thanks for that but I don't need anything else from you."

thats what happens when you don't treat others with respect.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i can't for sure say what you meant by the above comment, but it seems offensive.

forsaknazrael knows his shit.
if you are looking for help, don't start making comments to others that are rude, as you did.

a lot of people are nicer than me with certain things. if i had tried to help you (although unfortutately i don't have a ton of experience with pedals, i am learning though). and you make an off comment about something i wouldn't respond, any more.

This.
John is a respected member here.
He knows his shit. He's one of the best builders here too.
The things he does to a Tonebender....