So, assuming I get some of my stuff sold, I'll have $320 to spend on guitar stuff. Trying to decide what I should get, at the moment, so I figured I'd stop buy GG&A to have people ring in.

At the moment, things I'd like to have are:
  • A decent 2x12 cab
  • my amp retubed - it's a 6505+ combo.
  • a noise gate
  • An OD for a boost
  • A new speaker for my amp

So as far as 2x12s, if I have $320, what's my best option? I'm thinking the Jet City one might be up there.

As far as retubing my amp, I'd just be doing the preamp with a JAN Phillips 5751 in V1 and JJ 12AX7's everywhere else, unless there's something better I can do in a 6505+.

As far as a noise gate goes, it'd probably be a Boss NS-2.

Speakers, I'm thinking a K100.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Option:
2 V30's and a TS flavor of your choice

Option:
Used Boogie/Orange/Vader 2x12

Option:
TS flavor of your choice + ISP Decimator

I'd do one of those 3 anyways..
/rig
If you play a lot of gigs, then go for a 212 cab

If you mainly play at home, jams, and smaller gigs then get a decent speaker for your amp, maybe a Celestion?
Fender > Gibson

Who Said That?!
Quote by Wisthekiller
JCA cabs sound bad to my ears so I'd recommend against that. Find a nice used Marshall cab (1960a can be around $300).

Out of curiosity - what do you not like about them?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Out of curiosity - what do you not like about them?

No matter what EQ it sounds like, they always sound kind of muffled. That's not the right word to describe it, but that's the closest. It sounds like there's a blanket over them, no good on the highs, lows and mids blend together too much. Kind of like rolling the tone all the way back on a really bad pickup. The EQ was messed with a lot. This was through a JCA20H into one, and the problem fixed completely once the cab was changed.
So, in that case, what would you recommend for a 2x12?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
So, in that case, what would you recommend for a 2x12?

Used Marshall 1960a is my personal recommendation, but I don't know much about many cabs. I'll do some research. Maybe some sort of Bugera?

I probably meant 1932, not 1960a. My local GC had(has?) a Marshal 212 that sounded amazing, for 350 (and haggle-able) so that is probably it. It had a 19xx number on it.
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Dec 30, 2011,
Quote by Myaccount876
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-212V-BK-2x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-105771307-i1470779.gc

Should try this cabinet out.
You can get a cheap Danelectro FAB Overdrive pedal if you're looking for a boost.

I haven't heard anything particularly good about Bugera cabs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Ideally, if you could snag a Mesa or Orange 2x12 used, you should go with that. If not, maybe Avatar sells something in that price range? I've never personally played one but they seem to get good reviews on this board.
Ben
i highly suggest gettin an od/ts pedal. it drastically improves the 6505+ combo. i got a green rhino and it sounds 1000x better. other than that i'd say get retubed and a get a noise gate. you should be able to get all of that with 320.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Avatar 2x12 cabs are $450 at the cheapest including shipping in the US. Cheaper than a new Mesa or Orange 2x12, but you could probably find a used one of those cheaper if you looked around.

Or just replace the stock speaker in the 1x12, retube, get a decimator, get a ts7
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90