I have a Roland Cube 80XL and play a Custom Ibanez Prestige with a Bill Lawrence L500XL (bridge position) through an MXR Fullbore Metal with the gain around 5 o'clock and the volume around 9 o'clock on the pedal straight to the Cube on the clean channel with the presence around 3 o'clock and the volume usually around 7 o'clock (very low). For a long time I never had any problems with the amp or anything even when I was cranking it during practice. In the last 5 months or so I have started to hear lots of popping and crackling when I turn the volume up or when I hit very high or very low notes. It's unbearable now and I'm thinking it's just that Roland has a crappy speaker in it that's starting to blow out now so I've been thinking of just replacing the speaker and seeing what happens, but, I decided I'd check the forums and see if anyone else has had any similar problems or can give me an idea of what might be happening. A buddy of mine seems to think that the extra gain coming from the MXR pushed the speaker over the edge and it's blowing out now and that's where the sound is coming from. I can't really say whether or not I agree or disagree with this though because I'm completely in the dark about this specific kind of rig.
Quote by NobleSadist
I have a Roland Cube 80XL and play a Custom Ibanez Prestige with a Bill Lawrence L500XL (bridge position) through an MXR Fullbore Metal with the gain around 5 o'clock and the volume around 9 o'clock on the pedal straight to the Cube on the clean channel with the presence around 3 o'clock and the volume usually around 7 o'clock (very low). For a long time I never had any problems with the amp or anything even when I was cranking it during practice. In the last 5 months or so I have started to hear lots of popping and crackling when I turn the volume up or when I hit very high or very low notes. It's unbearable now and I'm thinking it's just that Roland has a crappy speaker in it that's starting to blow out now so I've been thinking of just replacing the speaker and seeing what happens, but, I decided I'd check the forums and see if anyone else has had any similar problems or can give me an idea of what might be happening. A buddy of mine seems to think that the extra gain coming from the MXR pushed the speaker over the edge and it's blowing out now and that's where the sound is coming from. I can't really say whether or not I agree or disagree with this though because I'm completely in the dark about this specific kind of rig.
When you bend a high note, do you get that wobbely sond from the amp? I get it on mine. Anyway you might have to vhamge your speaker :/
again, as it seems like i mention every day, some modelers need a flat response speaker, you will want to be sure, but i sure would not put a V30 in there like a lot of people think.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Usernames sucks
When you bend a high note, do you get that wobbely sond from the amp? I get it on mine. Anyway you might have to vhamge your speaker :/

I haven't noticed a sound that I would call wobbley. Most of the sound is popping or crackling. I have noticed on some of the low notes I get something kind of woofy that completely overrides the note.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
again, as it seems like i mention every day, some modelers need a flat response speaker, you will want to be sure, but i sure would not put a V30 in there like a lot of people think.

That's something I'll have to research a bit. I had never even heard of a flat response speaker until now. Thanks for the information.
not that the cube isn't great for what it is or anything, but I don't see the point in replacing the speaker in this amp unless it's blown. then like trashed said it should be a flat response speaker.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by NobleSadist
That's something I'll have to research a bit. I had never even heard of a flat response speaker until now. Thanks for the information.

i am not positive that the cube's need to do that, but i would hate for somebody to spend the cash on a speaker and hate it.

basically the only thing different than a guitar speaker and a flat response speaker is that throughout the range of the frequencies a flat response speaker would have all notes relatively equal, the sound wouldn't be colored throughout the fretboard.

guitar speakers are made to be voiced for different applications. for example a Vintage 30 has a huge upper mid spike. now a speaker like a k100 has more on the bottom and less of a peak, and a little bit lower peak than the V30. i am saying those speakers because that is what i use most often.

what could happen if you put a V30 in your modeling amp, you would lose the fendery tone to some degree due to the speaker responding differently to the same signal (being the V30 is more British voiced". i know that some modeling amps need this, some don't. but check it out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by RealGuitarHero
not that the cube isn't great for what it is or anything, but I don't see the point in replacing the speaker in this amp unless it's blown. then like trashed said it should be a flat response speaker.

Actually, I have a couple of options I have been considering. A friend of mine has a 6505+ 112 which he is considering replacing the speaker in. I'm thinking of maybe putting his speaker in my cube, but I'm not exactly sure that will work. The impedance matches just fine, but the speaker is 75 watts into an 80 watt amp. A few of the guys I know at GC said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I'm not blasting it at 10. So, I'm not going to be spending any money if I go that route. I'm also working on saving up a bit of money to get myself a Blackstar HT 20H and a Blackstar 2x12 to pair up with it. Car problems in the way of that right now though. Besides that I'd still like to have the cube because it is a great tool for practice.
yeah of course it is a great practice amp. Keep in mind there is a reason your friend is thinking of replacing the speaker in his 6505+.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by NobleSadist
Actually, I have a couple of options I have been considering. A friend of mine has a 6505+ 112 which he is considering replacing the speaker in. I'm thinking of maybe putting his speaker in my cube, but I'm not exactly sure that will work. The impedance matches just fine, but the speaker is 75 watts into an 80 watt amp. A few of the guys I know at GC said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I'm not blasting it at 10. So, I'm not going to be spending any money if I go that route. I'm also working on saving up a bit of money to get myself a Blackstar HT 20H and a Blackstar 2x12 to pair up with it. Car problems in the way of that right now though. Besides that I'd still like to have the cube because it is a great tool for practice.

peavey has the worst speakers of any company among the comparable speakers that they offer.

a solid state 80 watt amp will be fine with a 75 watt speaker, just don't be stupid and put everything on 10.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am not positive that the cube's need to do that, but i would hate for somebody to spend the cash on a speaker and hate it.

basically the only thing different than a guitar speaker and a flat response speaker is that throughout the range of the frequencies a flat response speaker would have all notes relatively equal, the sound wouldn't be colored throughout the fretboard.

guitar speakers are made to be voiced for different applications. for example a Vintage 30 has a huge upper mid spike. now a speaker like a k100 has more on the bottom and less of a peak, and a little bit lower peak than the V30. i am saying those speakers because that is what i use most often.

what could happen if you put a V30 in your modeling amp, you would lose the fendery tone to some degree due to the speaker responding differently to the same signal (being the V30 is more British voiced". i know that some modeling amps need this, some don't. but check it out.

Again, thank you for excellent information.

Firstly I'm not sure that I'm even going to have to spend any money on a new speaker as I may be getting the Sheffield out of my friends 6505+ 112 on the cheap. (which you have already addressed)

Secondly, if I find that the Sheffield is a bad idea and I do need a flat response speaker, I have no idea where to buy one. I am constantly on the Celestion, Eminence and WGS speaker sites and as far as their guitar/bass speakers go I have never seen anything that fits the ticket.

I also have a bit of flexibility here because I essentially play only metal. Every once in a while I'll do something outside of that realm, mostly for intro's or breakdowns in my metal songs. So, loosing the Fendery tone isn't that big of a deal to me either. I will have to call Roland probably to get a solid answer on whether or not the flat response speaker is absolutely crucial, but, if it's not something essential, I can go a number of other routes I suppose.
Last edited by NobleSadist at Dec 31, 2011,
it seems like we're going around in circles here, so I'm just going to ask you something. Is the cube under warranty?
Quote by barden1069
Quote by NobleSadist
Again, thank you for excellent information.

Firstly I'm not sure that I'm even going to have to spend any money on a new speaker as I may be getting the Sheffield out of my friends 6505+ 112 on the cheap. (which you have already addressed)

Secondly, if I find that the Sheffield is a bad idea and I do need a flat response speaker, I have no idea where to buy one. I am constantly on the Celestion, Eminence and WGS speaker sites and as far as their guitar/bass speakers go I have never seen anything that fits the ticket.

I also have a bit of flexibility here because I essentially play only metal. Every once in a while I'll do something outside of that realm, mostly for intro's or breakdowns in my metal songs. So, loosing the Fendery tone isn't that big of a deal to me either. I will have to call Roland probably to get a solid answer on whether or not the flat response speaker is absolutely crucial, but, if it's not something essential, I can go a number of other routes I suppose.

any speaker (provided that it is compatible, ohms' watts, etc) is better than none. speakers are easy to change i do it weekly. lol.

K100's x patterned with V30's.

T75's x patterned with V30's

the first one i would imagine would be more suitable for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by RealGuitarHero
it seems like we're going around in circles here, so I'm just going to ask you something. Is the cube under warranty?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I will have to dig through my box of receipts and paperwork and find out. Just on a hunch, I'd say no, but, I will certainly try to figure that out.

I will look into all of those different options and will look at the different speakers I'm seeing mentioned now. Of course, there is also the distinct possibility that this isn't a speaker problem at all and I truly am just going in circles.

In the mean time, I think everything I could possibly hope to have learned from this inquiry has been addressed.