I've been trying to nail the right distortion sound I want, but being that I don't know much about guitar EQ I thought I would ask you guys for some help. I have a MIM Strat with a humbucker in it going through my Boss ME-70 which goes into some headphones. I'm looking for a slightly crunchy distortion similar to about what JF is playing at around 3:40 in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3iNdc3LOxM&feature=fvwrel
I can recreate something similar but my problem is that while power chords on the bottom 3 or 4 strings sounds ok, when I play more funky or jazzy chords like the hendrix chord the sound gets very cluttered and fuzzy when I want the upper notes to be more clear. What can I do to change this?
its wont be easy .

1 ..because of the headphones which compressed the sound !!! headphone never give the result and real reproduction of what it should sound like .

2 . a light crunch /overdrive is hard to recreate with modeler ( specially the cheaper ) . most of the time modeler will be good for high gain or clean .. but getting a range in between is harder to recreate , the natural overdrive of a crank tube amp is a combinaison of Preamp tube , power amp saturation and the speakers . You have neither of the 3 with the Boss me-70 through headphones , so its hard to get a realistic "crunch" sound ( Think ACDC , classic rock etc.. ) . and since the signal is digital it will always sound fake or "unnatural".

good luck . Playing with headphones has is limit unfortunatly . get something similar but dont expect it to sound realistic like a cranked tube amp would .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Chandleezy
I can recreate something similar but my problem is that while power chords on the bottom 3 or 4 strings sounds ok, when I play more funky or jazzy chords like the hendrix chord the sound gets very cluttered and fuzzy when I want the upper notes to be more clear. What can I do to change this?

Have you tried turning down the volume on your guitar? You can get quite a bit of clarity from letting your amp/pedals/processor handle your distortion instead of your guitar. Just a thought.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi