Hey guys, i'm trying to figure out what in my setup (hopefully it's a setting i can change) is causing the sounds created by sliding my fingers on the strings, tapping the strings with the pick, etc. so pronounced.

I have a POD HD300 with a Fender KXR-100 amp. Turning town the trebel channels does help some, but it is still very loud when i slide.

I know this is a hard question, as switching modellers and switching amps does have an effect on how audible these noises are. However, i'm curious if there is a setting which also has an effect on this?

Thanks!
Maybe lower your pickups a bit.
Some pickups (ie dimarzio evo) are very sensitive to string noise.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Dec 30, 2011,
old strings???
Agile AL-3110 Tiger Eye
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star Snow Leopard
Schecter C-1 Classic Blue
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser T-O-M BC
LTD EC-1000 Bright Blue Flame
Bugera 333xl
Laney GH-100L
Laney LC30-II 112
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Genz Benz G-Flex 412
thank you all for the suggestions! (and quick replies)

1) my strings are always old, as i don't change them until something breaks >_<
2) i will try lowering my pickups
3) pretty sure my gain is cranked, and i will fiddle with this setting more. perhaps i can find the desired sound with a different mix (lower gain, but different amp model)

I will test some more things and report back!
Quote by Chockomonkey

my strings are always old, as i don't change them until something breaks >_<

There's your problem, how old is old anyway?
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
well lets see... i made this thread on 10-6-11 when i tried 10's out for the first time, so probably just under 2 months old.

Also my muting is indeed craptastic, but i'm referring to the sound created when i slide from one fret to another while holding the string down.
Is there a noise gate/filter on your POD? My DigiTech pedal has one of those and it helps with eliminating finger-noise.
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Quote by Chockomonkey
well lets see... i made this thread on 10-6-11 when i tried 10's out for the first time, so probably just under 2 months old.

Also my muting is indeed craptastic, but i'm referring to the sound created when i slide from one fret to another while holding the string down.

are you attempting to slide?

if not then don't hold the string down?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
are you attempting to slide?

if not then don't hold the string down?

This. i jump and mute the strings with my picking hand if i need to move up the neck playing chords, powerchords or whatever. Feels weird at first but you just have to train yourself.
Old strings mute finger noise better than new strings, that's not the cause. And I'm like you TS, I change my strings every 2-3 months or so. I prefer their sound over fresh ones.

Turning your gain down will help tremendously and improve your tone, there shouldn't be any reason to play with the gain dimed on anything. Also lowering your pickups will help reduce that noise as well.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
What you really need are new fingers
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
What you really need are new fingers

Go pickup an stm-1 and then say that. Vai even said those pups are too touchy and pickup the slightest movements.
Its not always because technique is flawed.
practice with the gain all the way up and your pickups as high as they'll go until you can get quiet.

the turn your gain down guys don't know shit. how do you learn to play quiet if your not fighting noise.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer