I realize this section of the forum is for bandleading but I figured it was the best spot for my questions.

I was asked to try out for a local band, and I'm actually pretty nervous about the idea of playing in a band. I'm not social at all, and I've only ever played the guitar for my own enjoyment/fulfillment. I don't know how I could function in a band-type environment.

The thing is, as quiet and reserved as I am, every once in a while I imagine what it must be like to actually play in front of an audience; whether it is one person or many. I love the idea as much as I am nervous about it. Playing and having people enjoy it would be amazing, but I worry about screwing up, getting angry, and leaving.

I see all these threads about band issues and disagreements, and worry that if I tried to join a band it would soon become a mess.

Any tips/suggestions?
Make sure you hear both sides of an argument and remember. In a band, your 99% likely to play a song your not too fond of. Especially covers. And if you get real nervous, just think of yourself standing on the floor that your are supported by big slabs of concrete and there is something underneath you. It helped me a lot. Whenever I get nervous my knees start to buckle so that helps with that.
Might as well give it a try, everyone is nervous the first time of course.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Thanks for the advice!

I'm hoping this one won't play covers, unless everyone can agree on one together. I asked the guy that I'm assuming would be leading it a whole bunch of details about his view of what the band would be.

As for me, I'd prefer to be in the background. I'm assuming I'd be lead guitarist, but I'd still prefer to be on the sidelines. Maybe I'd put a paper bag over my head for my sake and the audience's .
You just read into my f@cking soul. I am exactly like you. I was also just recently asked to join a band, after years and years of saying no to a lot of offers, I said yes. But I've been putting off jamming (I have never really jammed with someone or anyone, just played the song like at school but never created music together or messed around) for a month now, I just get freaked out by the concept of sitting there with someone expecting me to create the next stairway or hot for teacher lick or something revolutionary for today's audience.

I know I should go for it, for once, I just turned 21 and Uni doesn't look to prosperous (But I will finish my course). I just hate being so freaking awkward around people...
At a certain point, you just have to go for it. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work out ... and then you're back exactly where you are now.

Yes, you know, we see complaints about bands here all the time. But you know what they almost all have in common? One of two things:

1) Either fundamentally a disagreement about what the band is supposed to be (eg level of commitment, musical style, etc)

or

2) A communication problem. Be proactive in talking with your bandmates, particularly about the stuff above.

And you'll be fine.

Don't be ruled by your fear.
Quote by HotspurJr

Yes, you know, we see complaints about bands here all the time. But you know what they almost all have in common? One of two things:

1) Either fundamentally a disagreement about what the band is supposed to be (eg level of commitment, musical style, etc)

or

2) A communication problem. Be proactive in talking with your bandmates, particularly about the stuff above.

Amen!

And just to point out, #1 can be solved by ensuring that #2 is in place from the beginning.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Just try out and jam with the guys. I thought I was gonna be really nervous just jamming but I had loads of fun, and even more fun actually playing a couple shows.

As for stage fright, first show I played I barely looked at the entire crowd, I just looked at my bandmates and my guitar while making awkward head motions. When I did look at people they were my friends in the very front. It helps doing that
Give it a run! I swear, there are few experiences that can compare to doing a great live show and feeding off the crowd's enthusiasm for what you are putting out. Trust me. Even when playing time-worn covers in a crappy bar, nothing compares to having a crowd dig your noise with either the fist pumps, devil horns, or gyrating hotties on the dance floor.

Will you get nervous? Hell yeah. You'll wanna play so fast that you turn a 4 minute song into a 2.5 minute wonder. But it's like riding a scary amusement park ride. You won't know whether to crap your pants or laugh out loud hysterically. It's part of life!
We all have to start out somewhere. If it don't work out - it wasn't meant to be. Just keep trying. There are people everywhere that you're not going to fit in with, and plenty of them are musicians, but you have to look at it like a learning experience if it goes bad, and move on to the next time. Eventually things will fall together and work out . Then all the trying will be worth while.
Sorry I haven't got back to you guys... Thanks for the advice!

I've been talking with the guy who would be leading the band, and we seem to be on the exact same wavelength. What was even more interesting is that we both love the same tuning - Open C. It's almost too perfect...

Anyways, I'm going to audition tomorrow, so I'm hoping it goes well.
Well, I went and tried out today. It went extremely well, and everyone got along perfectly.

I told them I would certainly give it a try, even though I'm nervous as hell about playing in front of any group of people.
Quote by CV334
Well, I went and tried out today. It went extremely well, and everyone got along perfectly.

I told them I would certainly give it a try, even though I'm nervous as hell about playing in front of any group of people.

Sounds great dude - the best way to learn is by jumping in the deep end so I say go for it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Sounds great dude - the best way to learn is by jumping in the deep end so I say go for it.

^

schrodinger's cat
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
^

schrodinger's cat

I don't get the link. How does this quantum theory relate to learning by experience?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I don't get the link. How does this quantum theory relate to learning by experience?

You won't know until you open the box.
I'm of the same breed, I guess. I think most people are nervous until they get up there. I've only played by myself and with my close friend, but we are trying to start a band together. I think that will really help with nervousness, being in a band composed of friends. We are trying to get this other friend to play bass for us, and then we will only be a drummer away. Maybe before you join or play with them, you guys should just hang out and become friends. You don't want to start playing gigs and realize your bandmates are douchebags.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?