I have been looking into purchasing an AC4TVH for a while. They're cheap and they sound pretty good.

Upon more research, I've heard of people running them with 8 ohm cabs fine.

http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-amps/cool-information-about-the-vox-ac4tv-series/33561/page1/

The person warns not to use the attenuator as it uses a weak resistor.

He said the amp should be rated at 8-9 watts, but someone else pointed out that the tube in it is only rated for 6?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LCh_O7KVII

I'm rather confused as whether or not this is safe. Others have said you would just be burning up tubes occasionally, but that it shouldn't be too dangerous.

Can anyone here clear this up?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Should run fine. The attenuator might get a bit hot though. It's just a resistor network. I'd probably swap them out for higher power rated ones, but I'd probably do that anyway.
Why not just get a 16 ohm 12" cab? The power thing will make sod all difference. Where you get the main benefit is the bigger speaker, not output power. You'd be talking like a 2dB increase at most from the impedance mismatch - that's barely audible.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Check out the video. There is a lot more clean headroom, or so it appears.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Yes, because it's a bigger speaker and isn't breaking up. Trust me, just get a nice 12" speaker at the correct impedance.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Newbie question, would it be fine through a 15''? I think my bass cab is a 16 ohm.
Quote by smirnoff_black
It will work but probably sound crap. Bass speakers have a different frequency response.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It will work but probably sound crap. Bass speakers have a different frequency response.

I always heard that bass speakers had a wider frequency response than guitar speakers.

Always thought that was the reason it was okay to play a guitar through a bass amp.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Guitar speakers are tuned to sound good with guitars. PA speakers have a really wide frequency response and they sound like crap.
It may sound good to your ears, just don't expect it to. A lot of guys like guitar through bass amps, ie. Kyuss.
Just try it, you won't blow anything up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ah, I understand now. Thank you for all the words of advice and helping a newbie out!

If any "doctor" wants to give their second opinion feel free to, I would still appreciate it!
Quote by smirnoff_black