Just bought an interface, and the recording software that came with it sucks, any suggestions? It's only for basement recording, nothing fancy, but something solid, easy to use, and good for editing.
REAPER is a good start. It's super cheap and it has an endless evaluation period with no limits.

It's awesome.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
I just bought the Tascam US800. And it came with some cubase software that is terrible. I want good quality, but I don't want something that'd take a professional to work. Thanks for all the replies!
It's some cheap version of cubase too, like LE5 or something, it's only available with the interface, can't buy it seperate.
Calling Cubase LE 'terrible' suggests you know absolutely nothing about recording, since even the LE version is a capable bit of software. It has the same interface and workflow as the pro-level Cubase versions. What don't you like exactly?
Well I can't overlap guitars because when I record, it records with a delay, and then you can't adjust any of the tracks in under half second increments. The software I got isn't the fancy cubase LE. It's a program that can't be bought seperately.
Recording with delay is a hardware issue not a software issue. Check the audio buffer. Also there is a way in every DAW to free drag audio tracks.

To be honest all legitiment DAWs are pretty equivalent in terms of quality. You just have to find the on that works for you. Reaper is a great DAW to play around with for free until you decide if you like it and hen its pretty cheap to purchase.
Quote by BDeister86
Well I can't overlap guitars because when I record, it records with a delay, and then you can't adjust any of the tracks in under half second increments. The software I got isn't the fancy cubase LE. It's a program that can't be bought seperately.

Cubase LE5 is what comes with the US800. It's a very, very capable bit of software. It will be very much like the full version of Cubase but with reduced plugins and features. The issue you're describing sounds like a latency issue so you haven't got the interface set up correctly. Before you reply "I followed the instructions", every PC has different components which interact with each other differently, throw in some background programs and setting up any DAW is a challenge.

There will be some settings somewhere which will sort this out, try a dedicated Cubase forum. And for everyone that says "Try Reaper", Cubase is an industry standard and is found in many studios. Learn LE and you'll be in a sound position in a studio (as long as it's not using ProTools!)

And before I get accused of being a Cubase fanboy, I use Sonar Producer
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
You got Cubase AI, which is really pretty close to LE, which is really quite good.

As far as dragging the tracks in only half-second increments, you need to turn the snap off. It's probably snapping to the nearest beat.

The delay you will experience in ANY software package. As FireHawk suggested, it has to do with the buffer settings. Go to Devices and then VST Audio. Make sure you have the Tascam US800 driver selected, and adjust the buffer setting to something lower.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by the_guitar_pro
I got Logic Pro and Ableton Live 8 , both are great and easy to handle...

1. If he can't get to grips with Cubase AI, neither suggestion will help him. No DAW is intuitively straightforward to the inexperienced. The learning curve is practically vertical unless you're experienced with another type.
2. He asks for "nothing fancy" and you come up with top of the line professional software?
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by Dilberto

And before I get accused of being a Cubase fanboy...

And before I get accused of being a Cubase fanboy... I am!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.