So far, I got my drum rolls and basic fills and all the sorts complete, but I want to level up.

I want to learn paradidles and flams, but is there anything else I'm missing or need to learn? I want to become better than what I am.

Anything new I need to learn? In fact, anything I should be learning?
I would suggest making sure you know how to keep time with a metronome or click track of some sort. Don't take that as meaning you can't keep time...but a lot of drummers try to learn advanced techniques before they learn how to keep a good pocket. As far as new techniques to learn...I'm a fairly novice drummer, so I probably can't help you a ton with technicality. I assume you aren't taking lessons? If not, maybe you could try looking up some tutorials online and try patterns that interest you.
You don't need to learn anything, and what you want to learn is entirely up to you. I can think of dozens of general topics one could practice on drums. Based on your post I assume you're aiming on getting good at rudiments, which is a great thing. Rudiments are very, very useful, and really, essential.

I would say double strokes and singles are the two most important rudiments to develop as they more or less form the basis of every other rudiment, excluding those involving triple strokes... in which case you should also practice triple strokes, but those are fairly uncommon and also much more advanced (in my opinion) so if you're a beginner then don't worry about them.

Flam rudiments are great to work on, as are paradiddles. But really, you should just go about developing every rudiment, all of which are listed here:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

I would personally recommend just working on single strokes, all the diddle rudiments, and flam rudiments. Ignore the drag, double and multiple bounce rudiments for now, but don't forget that they exist.

Also, as far as fills go... only knowing how to play them is silly, it is crucial to able to APPLY them. I believe that the two aspects of drumming success are as follows: practice and application. It is pointless to practice without an outlet with which to employ the results gained from practice-- likewise it is pointless to play endlessly without actively practicing. So, with that in mind I would recommend you try and jam with people, or play along to tunes, or even just play with a metronome and make an attempt at actually playing some of these fills, rather than merely executing them, if that makes sense. Try and actually improvise utilizing fills that you have learned. It's seriously the best thing you could do to try and actually get better at using them, rather than just playing them. The distinction is narrow but highly important to understand nonetheless.
Well I'm listening to stuff like Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and stuff from Death and a lot of those fills and rhythms are pretty difficult.

Especially the Drum Solos.

So there's probably some new techniques I should learn?
If your trying to learn stuff like A7X, you'll have to get really good at your fills, solos, flams.

But generally I think the best thing to do is to play with other people as a drummer!

I absolutely love playing drums with others, it's great! And gives you the chance to apply techniques you've learnt practicing in songs with others.
No one cares.

Quote by PaddySyn
If your trying to learn stuff like A7X, you'll have to get really good at your fills, solos, flams.

But generally I think the best thing to do is to play with other people as a drummer!

I absolutely love playing drums with others, it's great! And gives you the chance to apply techniques you've learnt practicing in songs with others.

Which is technically what I'm doing. I already jam out with friends.

And I've gotten a lot better at hearing... Or playing by ear.

I just constantly practice every song until I've nailed it perfectly.

But the thing is, is obtaining more technique and skill.
Quote by synyk-cynic
Well I'm listening to stuff like Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and stuff from Death and a lot of those fills and rhythms are pretty difficult.

Especially the Drum Solos.

So there's probably some new techniques I should learn?
If it's the last 4 Death albums, then yeah, the drum parts are all pretty challenging (Symbolic being my personal favorite-- Gene rules) and a lot of the fills are shredding as well. For Human through Symbolic at least though (I hate TSOP), many of the fills are mostly just double bass oriented, so 2-4 notes on the hands then 2 on the feet etc.

I'm pretty sure all the things you mentioned would involve ideas like that and be mostly single stroke oriented so I really don't think you should have to learn any new techniques whatsoever. Whatever you do now should be fine.

Can you give any specific examples as to grooves/fills on the things you mentioned that are confusing you? I might be able to help figure 'em out.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jan 10, 2012,
Quote by Steve08
I hate TSOP

What the hell man.

On topic, I taught myself completely, so I never formally learned my rudiments. I later found out that I had learned the majority of those techniques on my own, but not learning them (and other basics) properly sort of crippled me when I tried to talk to other drummers. Therefore, I also recommend learning your rudiments, but not just that. Learn what everything means. Its nice to be able to hold a coherent, intelligent conversation with other drummers.
Quote by Steve08
If it's the last 4 Death albums, then yeah, the drum parts are all pretty challenging (Symbolic being my personal favorite-- Gene rules) and a lot of the fills are shredding as well. For Human through Symbolic at least though (I hate TSOP), many of the fills are mostly just double bass oriented, so 2-4 notes on the hands then 2 on the feet etc.

I'm pretty sure all the things you mentioned would involve ideas like that and be mostly single stroke oriented so I really don't think you should have to learn any new techniques whatsoever. Whatever you do now should be fine.

Can you give any specific examples as to grooves/fills on the things you mentioned that are confusing you? I might be able to help figure 'em out.

Well there's a lot.

Darkness Surrounding.

Crystal Mountain and Spirit Crusher aren't too hard.

But here's a good video of some tasty grooves and rhythms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63Dc9u_jDc&feature=BFa&list=HL1326332985&lf=mh_lolz

Other than that... It's going to take me a while to get... pretty advanced.
Learn you're rudiments. That's the best place to start. If you youtube drum rudiments, you will find a channel by drumrudiments.com. That has all 40 drum rudiments.

I wouldn't hurt to youtube fill technique's as well. But be careful where they are coming from and read the comment threads.