hey everyone. My question is for the drummers. I've been playing drums on rockband for a few months now. I don't play regularly and don't actually practice either (I don't think anyone does). I just completed a few easy songs on expert and I'd like to know if I could use what I've learnt to play the real thing. I've been playing guitar for a few years and I've always wanted to learn to play the drums. What I'm asking is if playing the game actually helps you learn to play real drums.
Quote by Beserker

I would join in and make it an orgy, f*cking my father up the ass while he gives it hard to my sweet little pumpkin, culminating in me cumming all over his bearded face.

...is that what you wanted to hear?

It teaches you a shit ton of bad habits, but it's marginally better than the plastic guitar to actual guitar transition.

Marginally.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Quote by bearsfan092
It teaches you a shit ton of bad habits, but it's marginally better than the plastic guitar to actual guitar transition.

Marginally.

Are there any ways of learning good drum habits without having to buy the full drum set?
I learned how to separate what my feet were doing and what my hands were doing with rock band.

So...that's good.
Doubtful, you couldn't recreate the weight of things and all of that unless you had a full drum set, if you're worried about space and noise then get an electric kit and plug your head phones in, if it's money that's a problem then I'm not sure what you could do.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

can you tell what bad habits you're talking about?
Quote by Beserker

I would join in and make it an orgy, f*cking my father up the ass while he gives it hard to my sweet little pumpkin, culminating in me cumming all over his bearded face.

...is that what you wanted to hear?

RB/GH drums helped me learn limb-independence, if that's a term. Dat kick. I guess it could help improve stamina as well.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Not really because while you are playing rock band you have the note track so
Its easier to keep a beat going, then trying to play the same beat on a real drum doesnt work.
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

Yes, my brother can jam better then any drummer I know, and he just played rockband all day.

To be fair he has an (legit) electronic drum set hooked up to it and plays on expert pro (where you HAVE to use cymbals) and is ranked 64th on the game. It's virtually no different then playing on a drum set.
Last edited by stratkat at Dec 31, 2011,
Yeah, like MetallicSka said, it will encourage limb-independence. Other than that, you won't learn proper drumming techniques, grips (traditional, French, American), rudiments (like flams, paradiddles, rolls), set placement and style.

It's a good 'intro to rhythm' course, if you may.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Yeah, like MetallicSka said, it will encourage limb-independence. Other than that, you won't learn proper drumming techniques, grips (traditional, French, American), rudiments (like flams, paradiddles, rolls), set placement and style.

It's a good 'intro to rhythm' course, if you may.

That's not too bad then, so just playing Rock Band will probably let you get as good as Lars Ulrich when Kill 'Em All was released?
The biggest difference is the kick, real ones feel completely different and it might throw off your timing at first, until you get used to it. You'll have to get used to the arrangement of a real kit too, but that probably won't matter too much for basic beats.
37N
Last edited by 37 Narwhals at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by iup788
That's not too bad then, so just playing Rock Band will probably let you get as good as Lars Ulrich when Kill 'Em All was released?

lol. He was okay in Kill 'Em All -it's good enough.

But yeah, there's no better way to pick up drumming than buying a nice practice pad and a pair of sticks. The pad's about $40 - $50 bucks for a good Vic Firth one, and sticks are usually $7 bucks a pair. Go to the Vic Firth website and you can teach yourself all you need to know about drumming.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Dec 31, 2011,
Maybe if you're using an electric drumset with pads...
It might teach you a bit of hand/foot coordination, but it really isn't that great for learning to play.

The way you're supposed to play songs on the game doesn't accurately translate to the technique used when actually using a set.
Actually knowing how to play drums, I get frustrated playing rock band because I feel like I have to play the drums wrong. Even playing on that "Expert ++" mode on guitar hero is weird. Although it's got the precise beat, it's still not really teaching you anything if you're playing it on a toy drumset.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
The Rock Band drums are weighted a whole lot differently than a real drumset. You will have to sit down and actually play a real drumset to get a feel for it dynamic-wise. You'll also have to deal with the hi-hat and learn how that changes according to how much pressure you put on it with your foot. Again, this will take some time. Also expect to have to work on your right foot some as a real kick bass is a completely different animal than the one in rock band.

Your rythmical skills and limb independence will translate for the most part.
I pride myself on my humility.
My friend played a shit ton of rock band drums and he's a decent drummer now. I've gigged with him a few times. Unfortunately, however, he's picked up a bunch of bad habits that he's had a lot of trouble correcting. Rock band did help him a lot with being able to play more complex beats though.
The drummer in my band says that Rockband drumming is nothing like real drumming.

He showed me Chop Suey on rockband, (He could barely do it), then on his drums. They were completely different. He says the it helps with his rhythm skills though.

On another note, any of you guys horrible at rockband guitar too? I cant play it for shit cause I think im reading sideways tabs whenever i play.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
I don't know about rock band, but the couple of times I've played guitar hero were terrible. Even on easy I was awful.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I drum, rock band drums are pretty good, if you plan on drumming just buy a cheap starcaster drumset. You can get full sets under $300. If yoi don't want a drum set and want to drum you are doing it wrong.