So I was given a bottle of kiwi fret lemon oil and I'm not sure if i should use it or not. I have an ESP LTD Ex-50 with a rosewood fretboard and a painted neck, I have read many things about it being bad for glue and paint. Should I be worried or am I just over reacting? I'm thinking of rubbing it over the neck and body, leaving it for half an hour then wiping it off. Is this the best product i should be using? are then any specific types of oils I should be using for different woods? (the body is basswood by the way) I'd prefer to use a natural oil then some product that just says "Lemon Oil".

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Anton
Lemon oil is fine for rosewood fretboards. I'm not sure it's a good idea to rub it all over the guitar though.
Anton, I've used Lemon Oil on my fretboards for the last few years now and have not experienced any problems at all. You should be fine with putting it on the fretboard. I even used some lemon oil today on a dried out rosewood fretboard on a cheap classical guitar...worked pretty well for moisturizing purposes.
do not wipe the body with oil. i am not sure it would do damage, but the body and neck of the guitar would be as slippery as all hell until it was wiped off.

it is really intended for use on rosewood fretboards. get some on the rag, wipe down the fretboard to the point where it is starting to need absorption, and leave it on for a while and you will be good. i do it probably twice a year.

don't soak the fretboard with it though. you just need a small amount.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not heard of the brand, but it's probably not 'lemon oil' anyway; just generic guitar cleaner with a small amount of lemon oil in it. Just use it, it'll be fine either way.
Quote by kyle62
Not heard of the brand, but it's probably not 'lemon oil' anyway; just generic guitar cleaner with a small amount of lemon oil in it. Just use it, it'll be fine either way.

Well it doesn't sound like he has your basic overpriced glass cleaner.

Lemon oil is meant to moisturize your raw fretboard. Don't over use it or the wood becomes dependent on it. About twice a year someone said? Sounds about right.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Lemon oil is meant to moisturize your raw fretboard. Don't over use it or the wood becomes dependent on it. About twice a year someone said? Sounds about right.

I'm just thinking of the Dunlop 'Lemon Oil' etc which is mostly just generic guitar polish with lemon scent.

For occasionally (once or twice a year) moisturising and protecting the wood, tung oil is a good choice.
i dunno, the dunlop lemon oil (unless they've changed it recently, i bought my bottle ages ago) is most definitely oil of some description, and i wouldn't put it anywhere other than the fingerboard (plus don't use it on maple).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Correct. A luthier on here told me not to (over)use Lemon Oil type products on rosewood. It seeps in, dries out, and then you need to use more and it causes more problems down the line. I think the only time I would use a 'bit' of it would be if if my board was super dried out and nothing else was going to save it.

NEVER ever use Pledge or the like on your guitar.

And FFS use microcloths on the body, not old rags.

Also - never use an old toothbrush on a fretboard. Buy a new toothbrush for that.

so it's a bit like makeup then

a toothbrush, you say? never actually thought of that. I normally just use cotton hankies (though i've ordered a bunch of guitar cloths on thomann as they're handier).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^

I meant toothbrush for the frets/fretboard. I hear of people (mostly in EG) telling people to get an old toothbrush to clean their fretboards. Why in the hell would you do that. Toothbrushes cost like $1.247

...and it was CorduroyEW who told me not to use Lemon Oil (any oil really) on a rosewood fretboard. It is great after you first apply it but it will dry out the board faster in the long run.
yeah i think i've seen cordy's posts to that effect before. I still use it

I always meant to get that raw linseed oil (i think that was the one) that dan erlewine mentioned, but never got round to it. then again he says lemon oil is fine. Though I don't apply it and leave it, i just squirt a bit onto a cotton cloth and wipe it onto the fretboard, then go over it again with a dry cloth to remove most of it.

EDIT: yeah i was talking about the frets/fretboard when i was talking about the toothbrush too. that's actually a decent idea, as long as it doesn't mark the thing (i'm guessing you should go with a soft brush).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lemon oil is for wood, and the body surface aint wood since its laquer so only use it on the fretboard
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

^ yeah, I almost forgot but I think it was mentioned already. Do not use any oils, Pledge, Windex, etc on the guitar body. I do use guitar polish every now and then.

Quote by Dave_Mc

EDIT: yeah i was talking about the frets/fretboard when i was talking about the toothbrush too. that's actually a decent idea, as long as it doesn't mark the thing (i'm guessing you should go with a soft brush).

It won't hurt the board. I've used .0000 steel wool on my Strat and Schextorz with no ill effects.
A Carvin strat, the ENTIRE everything in tung oil.

I can't wait.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ yeah, I almost forgot but I think it was mentioned already. Do not use any oils, Pledge, Windex, etc on the guitar body. I do use guitar polish every now and then.

It won't hurt the board. I've used .0000 steel wool on my Strat and Schextorz with no ill effects.

thanks

and yeah i just use dunlop 65 polish. not sure it does all that much, but it does seem to be better than nothing, and it doesn't hurt the finish (though i haven't had the guts to try it with nitro yet, which reminds me, i must email dunlop to ask if it's nitro-safe).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you all for the replies, I have a rag that I intend to use to apply it. Is there any specific oil that is good for the body?
Quote by antonvrg
Thank you all for the replies, I have a rag that I intend to use to apply it. Is there any specific oil that is good for the body?

Sweat, nothing more manly than sweat.

And beer.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by antonvrg
yeah, I've got that covered

My Jr. gets a fresh coat daily.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
So, there is a difference between treating the fretboard and regular cleaning.

You really only need to use lemon oil once, and then again maybe every ten years or so. It doesn't need to spend any significant amount of time on the fretboard.

There are separate products that you can get for regular cleaning.

And you definitely don't want to be using any of that on maple fretboards, or the rest of the guitar.
Quote by denied
So, there is a difference between treating the fretboard and regular cleaning.

You really only need to use lemon oil once, and then again maybe every ten years or so. It doesn't need to spend any significant amount of time on the fretboard.

There are separate products that you can get for regular cleaning.

And you definitely don't want to be using any of that on maple fretboards, or the rest of the guitar.

so what do you suggest for regular cleaning?
Quote by antonvrg
so what do you suggest for regular cleaning?

dunlop makes a guitar polish that works good on laquered surface (guitar body)
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard