Page 1 of 7
I know mainstream music has gone over to the darkside and now every young black kid wants to be a rapper, so the idea of picking up an instrument is lost on them, but come on; african americans are slowly losing a part of their culture which was once vibrant. Not only for them, but is the rest of the world missing out on what might have been? What if the eras were flipped and Jimi Hendrix never decided to pick up a guitar, but rather followed suit and tried to rap instead? Just look at the names of black musicians, and you are talking about the very top of the all-time musician list with a lot of these guys, but those types of guys are just gone now.

Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Ray Charles, BB King, Albert King, Charlie Parker, Freddie King, Chuck Berry, Stevie Wonder, John Coltrane etc...

I just looked at a list of the best black musicians today, and the list was beyonce, jay z, will i am, kayne west....I'm not sure if the writer of that article understood what musician means, but those are not it.

Just trying to even think of any off the top of my head is tough. Maybe Ben Harper, Alicia Keys, Robert Randolph, the roots and John Legend being the only ones with real notoriety I can think of. I'm sure some of you will be able to give a bunch more, but they probably won't be all that notable like a Hendrix or Ray Charles was.

But will this ever change? Is the black musician just going to eventually go completely extinct? And is there a way to stop this from happening?
Last edited by FN77 at Dec 31, 2011,
Shut the fuck up. Just shut the fuck up. God dammit.
Check out my band Disturbed
Oh, fuck off.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
I love white teenagers who talk about African Americans like they understand what their culture was and is.
Yeah they better stay out of my musics
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I liked the part where you inferred that all blacks who want into the music industry want to be rappers.
i take offense at this are you saying white people can't be great musicians and we need blacks to have real musicians? you are a racist prick and an asker of ****ing useless questions wtf r we gonna do if what u say somehow is true? cry?
Quote by Novacane...
I love white teenagers who talk about African Americans like they understand what their culture was and is.

I'm not a teenager, and I'm sure you are aware that a lot of these genres, like the blues, were started or heavy influenced by african american culture, but has since been completely just forgotten about by the later generations. You think its the african american teenager or the white teenager who is listening to Hendrix now?
Quote by FN77
I'm not a teenager, and I'm sure you are aware that a lot of these genres, like the blues, were started or heavy influenced by african american culture, but has since been completely just forgotten about by the later generations. You think its the african american teenager or the white teenager who is listening to Hendrix now?

It was always the white teenager, brosephine.
GTFO. I know I'm gonna get hate for this but you can not deny Kanye and the very least. Total ass but great producer. Gotta throw out Tupac, Talib, CUDI for god's sake and andre3000. They're all incredibly talented and I'm sorry your prejudice means you can't see that.

If Hendrix wanted to be a rapper I'm sure he'd be damn good at it. One of this forum's fatal flaws is it's ridiculous closed mindedness.

Not to mention, the industry has changed. Blues doesn't really sell anymore but rap sure does and it's honestly a pretty good continuation of the blues. Not the shit you hear on the radio about bitches and whips but the real stuff.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by AtTheGates\m/
i take offense at this are you saying white people can't be great musicians and we need blacks to have real musicians? you are a racist prick and an asker of ****ing useless questions wtf r we gonna do if what u say somehow is true? cry?

No, I'm not saying that at all, white people, or should I say, non-black people, are by and large the only ones trying to be great musicians, black people are not even getting in the game to try anymore (generally)
Quote by FN77
No, I'm not saying that at all, white people, or should I say, non-black people, are by and large the only ones trying to be great musicians, black people are not even getting in the game to try anymore (generally)

LOLOLOLOLOL gtfo.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by McArsonist
I liked the part where you inferred that all blacks who want into the music industry want to be rappers.

Not only that, he implied that rappers aren't musicians.

TS, I hate to say it, but your ignorance and borderline racism (I know you're not discriminating, but there's a lot of generalisations going on) have earned you any rudeness you have gotten.

Edit: Might be trollin'
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
GTFO. I know I'm gonna get hate for this but you can not deny Kanye and the very least. Total ass but great producer. Gotta throw out Tupac, Talib, CUDI for god's sake and andre3000. They're all incredibly talented and I'm sorry your prejudice means you can't see that.

If Hendrix wanted to be a rapper I'm sure he'd be damn good at it. One of this forum's fatal flaws is it's ridiculous closed mindedness.

Not to mention, the industry has changed. Blues doesn't really sell anymore but rap sure does and it's honestly a pretty good continuation of the blues. Not the shit you hear on the radio about bitches and whips but the real stuff.

You think being a producer, or sampling something (like Kayne does) is the same thing as picking up and learning an actual instrument?
Quote by FN77

You're an idiot. You fail to realize good musicians from other genres. It's called evolution, change, progression. If everybody wanted to be Hendrix, that would be stale. Get over your musical tastes and grow an open mind.

Quote by FN77
You think being a producer, or sampling something (like Kayne does) is the same thing as picking up and learning an actual instrument?

I meet so many people like you. You know how about this. Go buy a MIDI Controller and some software, go into Fruity Loops or some other program and facilitate a decent beat, make it intricate and worthwhile, then proceed to write lyrics over the top of it? Do YOU think that production is easy? You're either a ) ignorant or b ) stupid.
Last edited by Nirvana_RATM2 at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by slipknot5678
Not only that, he implied that rappers aren't musicians.

TS, I hate to say it, but your ignorance and borderline racism (I know you're not discriminating, but there's a lot of generalisations going on) have earned you any rudeness you have gotten.

Why is it racist to ask that question? Rapper are not musicians. The definition of musician is someone who plays a musical instrument, so no, they are not. And I have tried to say (generally) with all my comments, I know there are black musicians, but not enough and not to the extent there should be.
Quote by FN77

This is pretty much the greatest statement ever made. Thank you for making it clear that black people are incapable of being good musicians.

The above statement is sarcasm, just in case anyone wants to get troll-happy.
Quote by FN77

Write a hip-hop song half as good as Kanye can and then we'll talk.

Quote by FN77
Why is it racist to ask that question? Rapper are not musicians. The definition of musician is someone who plays a musical instrument, so no, they are not. And I have tried to say (generally) with all my comments, I know there are black musicians, but not enough and not to the extent there should be.

mu·si·cian/myo͞oˈziSHən/
Noun:

A person who is talented or skilled in music.

Rappers are skilled in music. They write music. They write songs, for fuck's sake, stop being ignorant.

Last edited by Trowzaa at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by FN77

Compare it to composing. Real producing takes a great deal of skill and a serious ear for it. I know composers who can't play instruments to save their lives but damn are they great composers. And I'm talking real production. The stuff Kanye does, building it from the ground up takes a great deal of skill. Mroeso than picking up a guitar and learning some chords.

Sit down with FL studio, abelton or anything and try to build a beat from the ground up. I promise you it will take as much or more work than learning to play the guitar decently well.
I produce and play guitar, piano and drums. I consider them all equal.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by FN77

Go, make a Hip Hop album that has interesting lyrical content, has well thought out music, and can relate to many people on a serious level.

And knowing how to play some generic instrument like Guitar or Drums doesn't make you a good musician in any way.

A Baglama does.
Quote by McArsonist
This is pretty much the greatest statement ever made. Thank you for making it clear that black people are incapable of being good musicians.

The above statement is sarcasm, just in case anyone wants to get troll-happy.

I didn't say they were incapable, judging from the fact I listened a bunch of names which I think are some of the greatest all-time musicians, that is definitely not the case. All I said was that, for the most part, they are not even trying to pick up an instrument anymore. Not that they can't, it's something that is never even considered from them.
Quote by FN77

I don't think racist was the right term. In any case, you are making several generalisations. What makes you think black people aren't interested in music? I'm not even going to bother with the "rappers aren't musicians" part. I don't think I could persuade you to have an open mind; it's something that you will have to realise on your own.

PS by your definition of musician, singers aren't musicians either.
mu·si·cian noun \myü-ˈzi-shən\

Definition of MUSICIAN

A composer, conductor, or performer of music.

Before you throw definitions out your ass, look them up.
You better be drunk....no other excuse
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by FN77
Why is it racist to ask that question? Rapper are not musicians. The definition of musician is someone who plays a musical instrument, so no, they are not.

Ugh.

1. A musician is someone who creates music. You don't have to play a physical instrument to be a musician. Is John Williams a musician? He doesn't play an instrument in any of his music.

2. Rapping is rhythmic -> rhythm is musical -> Rap is music.

3. It's borderline racist because you're generalizing almost the entire black population of being unmusical.
Quote by FN77
Not that they can't, it's something that is never even considered from them.

Fact, bro?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Go, make a Hip Hop album that has interesting lyrical content, has well thought out music, and can relate to many people on a serious level.

And knowing how to play some generic instrument like Guitar or Drums doesn't make you a good musician in any way.

A Baglama does.

There are hip-hop albums that have interesting lyrical content and well thought out music? I thought the lot of the them were just sampled sections of rock songs with woman-bashing lyrics or ones what talk about how great the rapper is?
Quote by FN77
There are hip-hop albums that have interesting lyrical content and well thought out music? I thought the lot of the them were just sampled sections of rock songs with woman-bashing lyrics or ones what talk about how great the rapper is?

I guess you've heard every hip-hop song ever recorded then?
Quote by FN77

Cudi "I don't want a woman just to love her assets, I'll still wife her up even with her flat chest." And if you ever hear his tracks they're INCREDIBLE. I mean truly incredible. He's in my top 10 which is shared by Beethoven.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by FN77

Troll.

It's funny how so many people cherish "Sex, Drugs, and Rock N' Roll" but when it's "Sex, Drugs and Rap" suddenly it's offensive, bland, woman-bashing, and self-loathing.

Go **** yourself.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Cudi "I don't want a woman just to love her assets, I'll still wife her up even with her flat chest."

poetic
Quote by FN77

Look up Lupe Fiasco.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
FN77, wow man, just wow.

Why are you even asking this stuff? It's just ridiculous.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Troll.

It's funny how so many people cherish "Sex, Drugs, and Rock N' Roll" but when it's "Sex, Drugs and Rap" suddenly it's offensive, bland, woman-bashing, and self-loathing.

Go **** yourself.

Really, really good point. Really good point.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Alright, suspected troll at the moment. Shut up, stop being an ignorant shit and shut up again.

Quote by StewieSwan
Ugh.

1. A musician is someone who creates music. You don't have to play a physical instrument to be a musician. Is John Williams a musician? He doesn't play an instrument in any of his music.

2. Rapping is rhythmic -> rhythm is musical -> Rap is music.

3. It's borderline racist because you're generalizing almost the entire black population of being unmusical.

Also, as somebody who plays guitar (not super well or anything like that), bass (not well either), and piano (terribly), it's easier to write a song on those instruments than it is to produce a beat. I can write a decent song on guitar in ten minutes. It's harder to make a beat.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown