So I am a beginner guitarst and I just bought an Epiphone les paul standard. The stock strings are kind of old since it is a floor model so I need some nee strings.

I mainly play in Standard, C tuning, and drop A# tuning. I will be taking guitar lessons so I will probably be using standard quite often but will also use C often whuke at home. I will need some strings to support both tunings well. I mainly play ower chords since I play metal.

I can order off of Amazon or buy from Guitar Center. What strings would you guys recommend? Also, what guide would you recommend for changing strings?
not to be brash but IMO a beginner should not really be messing around with different tunings (other than drop D) until they are familiar with the guitar in standard tuning.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You can't tune 2 whole steps from standard and expect the result to be good. Your strings would be too floppy. And even if you choose to have thicker strings for C tuning, tuning back up to standard would mean your strings would have too much tension, and they may snap.

You should only tune down or up a HALF STEP in whatever tuning you are now. This is because there is less of a difference in the tension versus moving a whole step.

If you choose to be in and/or a half step around C tuning, go with 13-56s gauge strings if your guitar's neck scale is 24 3/4 or 12s gauge for a neck scale of 25 1/2. Change the low 56 with a 60 if you wish to drop tune to A#.

Keep in mind that if you choose to go with the heavy gauge string, you will sound better and have a comfortable grip on string tension BUT you could only safely tune down to B standard or go up to C# standard and not E. No strings would support going down 2 whole steps and back up to E.
Last edited by Kortez3000 at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by Kortez3000
You can't tune 2 whole steps from standard and expect the result to be good. Your string would be too floppy. And even if you choose to have thicker strings for C tuning, tuning back up to standard would mean your strings have too much tension, and they may snap.

not only that, but he is a beginner. you need to know how a note sounds in relation to others on the fretboard realistically, and after time and effort and time and time, you will develop a good ear. swapping tunings when being new is only going to hurt your progress as far as you ear goes, until you are familiar enough in one tuning, then its fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I use .11 Ernie Ball Power Slinky, and it can tune to standard just fine. My band plays in Drop B but when i'm at home I tune it to anywhere from standard to drop c and it holds pretty well.
Quote by StormLexer
I use .11 Ernie Ball Power Slinky, and it can tune to standard just fine. My band plays in Drop B but when i'm at home I tune it to anywhere from standard to drop c and it holds pretty well.

i play 11's and 12's in standard. and even 12's are too saggy if you go down one full step especially with the lowest string would be dropped. Drop C.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not to be brash but IMO a beginner should not really be messing around with different tunings (other than drop D) until they are familiar with the guitar in standard tuning.

Have you considered the possibility that he may not be that interested in music that uses standard tunings? It is possible to pick up a guitar with the desire to learn to play songs, not to learn the intricate workings of music theory and how it relates to guitars. That's how I started. I learned what notes are on what frets and whatnot much later, and I'm doing just fine.

On topic, I've tuned all the way down to A-E-A-D-G-F#-A with Ernie Ball .10s and have had no problems with it staying in tune, although, they are pretty easy to bend (no surprise there), and its something you have to be aware of when playing it. But you can go pretty low with just .10s, and I've even tuned up to Standard with no problems. I've got it in Open C major right now and it sounds great. Some of the range of tunings you can use will be affected by the bridge, however.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Have you considered the possibility that he may not be that interested in music that uses standard tunings? It is possible to pick up a guitar with the desire to learn to play songs, not to learn the intricate workings of music theory and how it relates to guitars. That's how I started. I learned what notes are on what frets and whatnot much later, and I'm doing just fine.

On topic, I've tuned all the way down to A-E-A-D-G-F#-A with Ernie Ball .10s and have had no problems with it staying in tune, although, they are pretty easy to bend (no surprise there), and its something you have to be aware of when playing it. But you can go pretty low with just .10s, and I've even tuned up to Standard with no problems. I've got it in Open C major right now and it sounds great. Some of the range of tunings you can use will be affected by the bridge, however.

he stated he was a beginner, and vibe i got from his post was that the guitar was relatively new, and he hadn't stated owning a different guitar. i listen to a lot of music in different tuning, and there are probably very few people who hear only one tuning.

i would recommend .10's as .11's might be too much in standard tuning, but 11's would be much better off in dropped tunings.

.105's? lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!