I have a cheap little Ephiphone special II (can upload pictures if necesary) thats never been able to hold its tuning that well, but recently its been a nightmare. Every 30 seconds or so I have to re-tune the G and B strings as they go very flat. Was just wondering if anyone could shed their wisdom unto me and give me some advice; what can I do to fix it, do I need to get it serviced etc etc. Thanks in advance.
If the strings are old then replace them. If the strings are new stretch them. The tuning machines may need to be replaced, you could also put some pencil led in the nut slots. This reduces friction making tuning a lot more accurate and less likely to cause a guitar to go out of tuning.

If you restring it then make sure you have plenty of winds around the tuners and to lock the string. If you do not know how to lock a string then heres a video. http://vimeo.com/3587762

If you do this then you should have no tuning issues at all. If you still have tuning problem then new tuners are needed.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 31, 2011,
Ive had older strings on this guitar (they're about 2 months) and they've been fine for tuning but I will replace them anyway. In the video he says if the strings wrapped around too many times they may slip - that may be the problem as I didn't know that when I put them on and may have gone overboard there. But I will definatly try locking.

If that doesn't work I'll get some new tuners.

And what is a truss rod? Sorry :P

Thankyou very much for your help

Edit: strings are wrapped around 4 times, just FYI
Last edited by Empty Duck at Dec 31, 2011,
It could be the tuning pegs causing the strings to slip or possibly something to do with your bridge.
Quote by itamar100
Maybe you should restring it? How old are the strings?

Quote by WesCThomp
It could be the tuning pegs causing the strings to slip or possibly something to do with your bridge.

This. Either change the strings. If they're brand new then it's probably problem with the tuning pegs.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Epihpones all have the same problem. Change tuners to planet waves locking ones, change nut with a graphite one, and setup the bridge. Change the strings. Do all for less then 100$, you'll not longer have any tune problems.
Quote by Brandeis
^That or you have to adjust the truss rod

NO!!!!

Truss rod adjustment will not fix your problem. This guy is either very misguided or is trying to wind you up.

Sounds like either you have too few wraps around the posts or the tuning machines are worn out and need replacing.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Try rubbing some graphite shavings from a pencil in the slots of the nut, to helo the strings slide through better. This actually helps more than you'd think.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Hmm maybe you should look how much springs you have ( unscrew plate on the backside of guitar ) . If you will have 2 you have to add one more .
Hey guys this may be off topic but every time i do bends on my acoustic and electric guitar it always goes out of tune. I'm thinking of replacing both of my guitars nut to a graphite nut will that work?

I'm using an Epi LP Standard and a normal acoustic guitar
Quote by biga29
Try rubbing some graphite shavings from a pencil in the slots of the nut, to helo the strings slide through better. This actually helps more than you'd think.

Into the bits which you poke the strings into?
Quote by Empty Duck
Into the bits which you poke the strings into?

Yes the little slots in the plastic pice (nut) at the head stock ( it is mostlikely black or white).
Also make sure you have sufficent string wraps on your tuning pegs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Does this Epi have a bolt on neck? If so, try tightening the neck screws. If they move easily they're not tight enough. Loose neck screws will cause all kinds of tuning headaches.
Quote by Daryl Licht
Does this Epi have a bolt on neck? If so, try tightening the neck screws. If they move easily they're not tight enough. Loose neck screws will cause all kinds of tuning headaches.

NO the only bolt ons are the special and the LP-100's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
NO the only bolt ons are the special and the LP-100's

Ooops, it is a special. Special II to be completely correct, which does have a bold on neck (and no springs, Rothosem)

Physics lesson time: When tuners wear out they don't slip out of tune. Worm gears only work in one direction, which is exactly why they are used. When they wear out they are hard to turn, and move inconsistently, making tuning a chore. Poorly made tuner have these issues right from the start, but sometimes 'wear in' and are good for a while.

Too few wraps will let the string slip around the shaft. Too many wraps means there will initially be a large difference in tension between the first and last wraps. That difference will slowly correct itself, dropping the string flat over time. If you retune a few times, (say a whole note high, then a whole note low, then high, then normal) it will speed the process up a bit. It might be less work to unstring and wrap 'normal'.

Also, a string that has a weak spot (and is going to break soon) will go flat before it break. That's not likely the issue, since the time between starting to break and completely failing is usually very short.

The bridge was mentioned. Tom's arent typically susceptible to this, but a stripped screw on the intonation adjustment can let a saddle drift, and that will also let the string relax a bit (and spoil your intonation). Usually that settles down once the saddle hits the end of adjustment range.
Last edited by RebuildIt at Jan 1, 2012,
A hint as to whether the issue is old strings versus slipping strings at the tuners is whether it is mostly the high-E and B strings that keep going out of tune, or other random strings. When the issue is string age it usually shows up in the high-E and B strings.