If you're taking the band thing seriously you shouldn't be using other peoples tabs when covering a song right? I mean this is sort of a belief I held although it never comes to mind to anyone I know who also plays in a band. Isn't there any type of legal mess involved with using someones tabs to? (aside from royalties for the original writers of the songs)

I'd tab it myself but I hear it takes months to figure out how to play a song I want to learn on my own. Unfortunately there is no tab book by the actual band for this song I'm interested in learning
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Dec 31, 2011,
Well if the tab is accurate do you really have a choice?

I know a few people put disclaimers on their tab saying stuff like "This tab is for private study only blah blah blah..." But I'm sure everyone does it anyway. I don't really see the point of transcribing a song and posting it on the internet if it's not going to be used.
I don't see why NOT to use online tabs. I've done it extensively when i'm on stage and need a quick filler tune. I just think of what I've learned noodling around on the guitar and play something quick. It's a free resource, and if you're in a band doing covers, an invaluable one at that.
I dunno, I just don't picture any professional band using tabs. Although most of the bands I listen to didn't really have that option anyways lol.
I have a cover band as a side project to my full time band and I have found online tabs helpful. I know there are a lot out there that are not accurate, but I have found many to be dead on. Its really helpful if you dont have time to transcribe the song youself before a show and need to get it in your set list. Just remember before you play the song onstage that what you are playing is correct or atleast sounds correct.
I don't remember who it was but in one of the featured interviews on UG the guy being interviewed said he sometimes visits this site to learn parts of his old songs that he's forgotten!

Just do whatever you think is necessary to get the song/songs learned correctly, Everyone has their own way of doing things, don't worry about whether it's considered 'professional' or not.
Better to learn the song from someone else's tabs and get it right than to learn it by ear and get it wrong, no?

And really, you're there on stage playing a song in front of maybe 50 people, or 500 people, or even 50 000 people... who is going to know that you used some tabs you found on line to learn the song? Nobody.

For that matter, you show up to rehearsal to work on said song that you have used some tabs on line to learn the song. How will anyone in your BAND even know how you learned it?

The point is, you show up to practice and to the gig prepared by knowing the song. THAT is professional.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You get a better grasp of the song if you learn it by ear. But there are no problems (and certainly no legal problems) when using tabs in a cover band.

If you have the time (depending on how good you are at learning by ear) then it's probably more beneficial learning it yourself. But there are times where there's no real time to learn a covers set purely by ear.
Often I use a mix of both, I'll use a tab but if it's starts to sound wrong I'll work it out for myself. Or find an easier way to play what's written on the tab.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Nope. You just learn the song before practice. How you learn the song is up to you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
For the most part I use tabs as a starting point and if there's any little parts I can tell that were left out I try incorporate, i.e. a part uses octaves rather than single notes.

Of course, if there's no tab at all for a song I just play random chords to find the key of said song and go from there
I am confused about how this could possibly be an issue. How would anyone know how you learned the song? So long as it's accurate and you aren't copying a major mistake off of a shoddy tab.
Quote by kLinic
I am confused about how this could possibly be an issue. How would anyone know how you learned the song? So long as it's accurate and you aren't copying a major mistake off of a shoddy tab.

Well you don't exactly picture metallica looking up tabs online for their covers do you?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Well you don't exactly picture metallica looking up tabs online for their covers do you?

Well no, because they can learn songs by ear.

But the real question is, how do you know they don't?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
There are no legal issue as to how a song is learned. The ONLY time things become issues is when they are recorded. Even then, once you get permission to record, it does not matter how the song was learned.

Picture this.... You study a video that you purchased of a band playing live. you learn the positioning and therefore learn how to play the song. Is this illegal? What is the difference of learning it this way, and learning by ear, or by tab?
How else do you know how to play the song?
If you work it out by ear it'll be pretty much exactly the same as the tab anyway.

Sometimes tabs are innacurate but you obviously can tell if its a big enough mistake and also, there are many professional band's that use THIS WEBSITE for tabs when they need to work out songs they havent done in awhile.

I'd also recommend bands tab out all their works personally in guitar pro format and distribute it.
Thats what I do when I write all my songs and when I have a band realeasing stuff I could imagine the deluxe edition of my album including tabs in gp5, midi, pdf etc
METAL!
How else do you know how to play the song?
If you work it out by ear it'll be pretty much exactly the same as the tab anyway.

Sometimes tabs are innacurate but you obviously can tell if its a big enough mistake and also, there are many professional band's that use THIS WEBSITE for tabs when they need to work out songs they havent done in awhile.

I'd also recommend bands tab out all their works personally in guitar pro format and distribute it.
Thats what I do when I write all my songs and when I have a band realeasing stuff I could imagine the deluxe edition of my album including tabs in gp5, midi, pdf etc [/
QUOTE]

I've always thought this would be an INCREDIBLE way for a band to enhance the user experience of their music, and do a little more to ensure the staying power of a band's music for years to come. Having your song played over and over as a cover song in thousands of bars/pubs around the world is a great way to distribute your art!
Why the hangup over tabs?

I mean, it's just a different way of transcribing sheet music, right?

And why such an insistence on figuring stuff out by ear? When an orchestra wants to learn a new piece, does the conductor/whatever tell them to go home and figure it out themselves, or do they go pick up a copy of the score at their local music store?

I have a hard time buying the notion that sheet music is solely for people who aren't "professional", or otherwise lacking as musicians.
I mean, if you're taking the band thing seriously, you'd be playing your own music for the most part, no?

but seriously, I think it would only be a legal issue if you cover a tune on your record and make money off of it. (and in that case, it wouldn't be the tab you'd have to worry about.) if you're just playing a song, you'd be fine, I'm sure. nobody will know where you got the music from.
Last edited by Jearl at Feb 24, 2012,
I street perform, and my list of songs I play spans almost 150 songs, most of which I learned from tabs and chords on here. Sometimes it's just too hard to try and figure something out yourself - for example, I have no trouble figuring out chords to basic pop songs, but a solo that pushes the limits of what I am physically capable of is really beyond my transcribing abilities.