Hello,
I want to buy a new guitar...
First, ive wanted an ESP eclipse 2 but then i heard good things about Carvin guitars...
I dont care about the money... I just want the best instrument at my budget.. (around 1.5k$)
Im currently having a Jackson Ke-2...
So please... without any consideration about money..
Which guitar is --just-- better?
Esp USA or Carvin custom?...
(BTW.. I havnt decided which carvin model ill but! if ill buy..)

Thanks guys!
I love Carvins, they're all custom made so they are exactly what you want, how you want it. Excellent craftsmanship, too. Bloody sexy finishes too, if you know your stuff.

Still, I'd say quality wise, they're pretty equal. If you can find an ESP that is perfect for you, go get it. If ESP fails to deliver to you, get a Carvin - you can always send em back within 10 days if you don't like them.

I'm probably gonna stick with Carvin for a while, excellent quality for the price, and like I mentioned, all custom.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Well it would help if we knew what genres your playing (i know esp usually come under 'metal' but hey we don't know what your playing on it )

But either way, i love my Carvin. I can't really comment on the ESPs but my carvins a lovely guitar and its a keeper for me.
If you find what you like with ESP, get the ESP. Why?
1. Much higher resale value
2. Carvin is only good value for money if you're in the USA. Paying around 700-1200$ for one is awesome, paying 1500-2500€ for one is just plain dumb.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Hey all...
Thanks for your quick answers..
I had network problems so i couldnt log in...
I love ESP guitars.. they are great!
I just though that maybe i can get the same quality at almost half price..
Im living outside USA but i have family that comes visit every holiday.. so thats not a problem..
(They delivered me my jackson.. )
Im playing metal and blues.. but im looking for sweet cleans as well..

So.. hm... i still dont know what to do.. LOL..
I just still dont understand if they have the same quality as jackson/ESP/gibson or any other great USA made guitars..

Ill try to find one in my country to test it though it will be hard...

Again.. thank you all..
If you are looking for sweet cleans you probably will not get that with ESP. Considering most come with EMG's which for the most part sound sterile when playing clean. Carvin makes AMAZING guitars with quality that is up there with any high end manufacturer, plus you get to choose the specs so you are getting a guitar that is exactly what you want. So I say that Carvin based on quality, versatility, and getting the specs you want. The only thing I think the ESP has on the Carvin is resale value, but personally if I had a guitar custom made for me, I wouldnt be selling it anyway
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by engeloded

I just though that maybe i can get the same quality at almost half price..
Im living outside USA but i have family that comes visit every holiday.. so thats not a problem..
(They delivered me my jackson.. )
Im playing metal and blues.. but im looking for sweet cleans as well..

I just still dont understand if they have the same quality as jackson/ESP/gibson or any other great USA made guitars..

Ill try to find one in my country to test it though it will be hard...

If you can get a friend in the USA to buy it for you, you get a LOT of bang for your buck. My CT6m costs about $1300 in the USA, and they go for €2300 here in Europe. I got mine for €1500, but I know the store owner.

If you're looking for diversity, Carvin beats ESP, no doubt. The cleans on my Carvin are so good, comparable to PRS cleans, or Fender-ish cleans when coiltapped.

Quality is pretty much the same as any customshop. Excellent craftsmanship, come perfectly tuned and intonated. Craftsmanship is PRS level, the stock pickups are not for everyone, but their sustain is infinite. I love em, but I could see myself changing em to Seymour Duncans one day.

Yeah, it's hard to get them in your country( wherever that is ), but again, if you can get a friend to pick one up for you, you got yourself a sweet guitar.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Well it also depends what pickups the ESP has, for diversity my Eclipse (Stock with Seymour Duncan JB/59) has beautiful cleans and a really nice overdrive sound.
My Carvin ST300C is my main guitar, and I would never dream of selling it. I recently sold my ESP Eclipse from the 1990s.

Obviously I prefer Carvins. Not that ESPs are bad instruments (they're definitely professional level), Carvins are just custom made to my specifications. They are simply wonderful instruments.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
This is really gonna come down to personal taste and what sound you like better really

None of the two are infintely better than each other IMHO, just little things model by model. Find your favourite carvin spec, and your favourite ESP (make sure these are in your budget!) and give a comparison of all the things on spec sheet and all of that jazz.

Then decide.
If it were me, I'd choose a carvin since I can get the wood and finish I want.

But then again, carvins don't come with emg's, and 18v modded emg's are pretty good with cleans, but even better playing metal.

It all depends on you really, you'll be satisfied with both, but resale will be better for the esp. And on the other hand, the carvin will be more. Ustomized to your specs.
^Pretty much what everyone has already said. The thing that got me to buy an ESP instead of a Carvin was cost (duh) and the fact that neither Carvin nor PRS make 24-fret singlecut style guitars. At the time, that was my dealbreaker.

Personally, I think Carvin necks are much more comfortable and the guitars themselves are excellently made. But what I like and what you like are obviously gonna be very different.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Im really not thinking about selling it.. so i dont really care about resale value...
No matter which one ill buy -I think ill install the Bill lawrence L-500XL pickup...

Anyway.. i think ill try to test some carvin guitars..
I just wanted to be sure that theyre as good as any other american guitar and you helped me with that..

So....Thanks a lot guys...
Wut? ESP USA does not exist bro. It is japanese. What a fail thread and no one sees it. Carvin is good, but well, ESP hardware and electronics are best of all. Carvin is also good, but i'd prefer an ESP. Yet, i think you should buy Gibson. Forever. I saw a 72' Custom Gibson for 2500£, seems ok for me, for such a beatiful 72 model, like untouched gibson custom. If you can find such a deal, go for gibson. Or else, ESP.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by music_warrior
^Pretty much what everyone has already said. The thing that got me to buy an ESP instead of a Carvin was cost (duh) and the fact that neither Carvin nor PRS make 24-fret singlecut style guitars. At the time, that was my dealbreaker.

Personally, I think Carvin necks are much more comfortable and the guitars themselves are excellently made. But what I like and what you like are obviously gonna be very different.

Such a shame, they make CS624's now

TS, I've been researching Carvin guitars for half a year now and so far, the only negative things I heard are the resale value ( but who the hell sells a custom guitar ^^ ) and the pickups ( they're not for everyone). If you're gonna swap pickups anyway, the Carvin will suit you. As will the ESP I guess, never owned one, but with guitars like these, you can't really go wrong.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
If it's at all possible to play the eclipse before you buy it then you should. I bought one thinking it was going to be some amazing guitar and it was the biggest let down I've ever had when it came to a guitar purchase. It took A LOT of tweaking and time to get it to where I wanted to pick it up over my other guitars. I still reach for my ec300 first most of the time. It's weird. Maybe I got a lemon. But I wasn't impressed with the eclipse 2 at all.
Edit... that all depends on if you decide on the ESP in the first place.
Last edited by Maximo33 at Jan 5, 2012,
I've played/owned several ESP/Edwards/LTD Deluxe Eclipses and I have got to say that in my opinion, the ESP is one of the best guitars you can get for that money.

The neck is slim, yet not flat like how a lot of Ibanez's are nowadays, and I feel its a perfect compromise between a thick neck with nicely rounded off girth and a flat shredder's neck, which makes it very comfortable to fret.

Build quality, as usual, is of extremely high quality, but again, it comes down to personal taste as well.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.